How to get a midterm deffered lawleypop Academics 4 06-07-2010 04:36 PM
Phy 1L03 Midterm pat2010 Academics 7 02-24-2010 10:45 PM
Comp Sci/Comp Eng/Soft Eng stevennevets Academics 9 10-19-2009 08:54 PM

Need help for Comp Sci Midterm!!

Old 10-13-2010 at 01:19 PM   #1
a.singh92

Liked: 0 Times

Need help for Comp Sci Midterm!!
ive been reading all of my readings for the upcoming midterm and most of the readings are pretty much tutorials. im not exactly sure which type of questions hurst will ask of us and im worried i might study the wrong things!! somebody help pplease if they know what we will be asked and what i can study besides the readings!
Old 10-13-2010 at 01:45 PM   #2
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.singh92 View Post
ive been reading all of my readings for the upcoming midterm and most of the readings are pretty much tutorials. im not exactly sure which type of questions hurst will ask of us and im worried i might study the wrong things!! somebody help pplease if they know what we will be asked and what i can study besides the readings!
Did you try emailing the prof or Ta's? or looking for previous midterms?
Old 10-13-2010 at 02:07 PM   #3
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Know when and possibly "how" to use formulas and functions in excel(COUNTIF, WHATIF, VLOOKUP, COUNTIFS, etc).
Approximately 1/3 of the midterm will be hardware/software questions. 2/3 on Excel.
Old 10-13-2010 at 02:26 PM   #4
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

...There's this thing called Avenue...
Old 10-13-2010 at 02:45 PM   #5
Juve
Elite Member

Liked: 117 Times

Hey guys im also lost for this exam . Help ..
Old 10-13-2010 at 03:08 PM   #6
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Sorry, I'm no help. I do have an econ (macro) mid on Saturday. D: Any suggestions?
Old 10-13-2010 at 04:43 PM   #7
sayok8737

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
...There's this thing called Avenue...
avenue doesn't help in this situation, there's no discussion tab, or anything! :(
Old 10-13-2010 at 04:47 PM   #8
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
Sorry, I'm no help. I do have an econ (macro) mid on Saturday. D: Any suggestions?
  1. Panic
  2. Calm Down
  3. Study
  4. ????????
  5. PROFIT!

xxsumz likes this.
Old 10-13-2010 at 04:56 PM   #9
sayok8737

Quote:
Detlor did post a kind-of review on avenue. It just basically says to study the hardware/software part, and then excel. Just study everything...that's what I'm going to do :S!
Old 10-13-2010 at 05:54 PM   #10
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Sup everyone.

I'm actually a TA for this course, and unfortunately the professor hasn't let I or the other TAs see the actual midterm.

I think if you know/study the following, you should be good (note: the midterm is entirely excel, multiple choice):

1) IF formulas (as well as nested ifs)
2) Absolute cell referencing
3) Naming ranges/cells
4) VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP (the syntax and what the difference between the two is)
5) COUNTIF, COUNTIFS
6) Whatif and Goal seek analysis (chances are you'll only be asked what these mean... the titles are pretty self descriptive)

And in case you were wondering, no, you don't have to know where everything is located in every excel menu. This is testing you on whether you understand the concepts, not on whether you've memorized how to do everything.

I doubt it will be too difficult. Good luck!

Yakattack says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.
Old 10-13-2010 at 06:00 PM   #11
Phaint
Account Locked

Liked: 131 Times

Its not entirely excel, theres a hardware portion. You can find this portion in your slides and in the first reading.
Old 10-13-2010 at 07:09 PM   #12
andrewjdg

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Sup everyone.

I'm actually a TA for this course, and unfortunately the professor hasn't let I or the other TAs see the actual midterm.

I think if you know/study the following, you should be good (note: the midterm is entirely excel, multiple choice):

1) IF formulas (as well as nested ifs)
2) Absolute cell referencing
3) Naming ranges/cells
4) VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP (the syntax and what the difference between the two is)
5) COUNTIF, COUNTIFS
6) Whatif and Goal seek analysis (chances are you'll only be asked what these mean... the titles are pretty self descriptive)

And in case you were wondering, no, you don't have to know where everything is located in every excel menu. This is testing you on whether you understand the concepts, not on whether you've memorized how to do everything.

I doubt it will be too difficult. Good luck!
"The average for the midterm is usually a C+"

And note, Hurst has nothing to do with the test, Brian Detlor wrote it.

I don't think it'll be that hard.. that class is a joke really. Most of the stuff is easy as hell.

Just remember key terms for excel and learn the absolutely simple concepts.

And for hardware portion, just know the definitions and probably a few concepts. i.e "What computer would be best for this, that, blabla)
Old 10-13-2010 at 07:16 PM   #13
andrewjdg

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
Yeah. How you doin' on the assignments? My strategy for macro is basically...
  • Don't go to the lectures (probably a bad idea, but whatever I haven't been for 3 weeks and have been getting 98-100% on assignments)
  • Do the study guide MC questions, T/F questions, and practice questions
  • Do the practice midterm tests on aplia
  • Do the practice questions for each chapter (recommended questions are on aplia)

By utilizing these things, you should definitely grasp the concepts. I still have to do the ch 5,6 book questions.
Old 10-13-2010 at 09:16 PM   #14
sayok8737

if you go to: http://www.nelson.com/datafiles/ there are some quizzes, Detlor put the link up in the "how to study for this midterm" thingy on ave.
Old 10-14-2010 at 04:55 PM   #15
nikita92

Liked: 4 Times

when i asked detlor about the midterm he told me it was going to be very straightforward and not at all hard. i understand everything pretty well its just the formula's confuse me :S but i dont think hs gonna be asking us much about formula's..