MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Landlord problems Jennnnn Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 8 02-11-2013 09:22 PM
McMaster Complaints daniasa Academics 7 09-11-2012 09:27 AM
A retiree and a landlord ychen Introduce Yourself 3 04-22-2012 05:13 PM
Can my landlord do this? Ownaginatios Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 43 03-04-2011 11:13 AM
sketchy landlord? shleyaa General Discussion 11 01-13-2009 07:34 PM

Complaints About Landlord- Anil Senaratna

Old 05-31-2013 at 07:11 AM   #1
depamr

Liked: 1 Time

Complaints About Landlord- Anil Senaratna
Hi Everyone,

There was previously a forum about this landlord containing complaints from past tenants, but it seems to have closed down. My housemates and I are currently facing troubles with him. We've filed a T2 against him in court, and really need those complaints to back us up. If you've had a bad experience with this landlord, please comment below.

He owns a few house close to campus. Some include:

32 Thorndale Cres
34 Thorndale Cres
60 Thorndale Cres?
and a few more I'm not too sure about.

This would be a HUGE help! Thanks sooo much!!

Last edited by depamr : 05-31-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-17-2013 at 09:47 PM   #2
jennea15

Liked: 2 Times

Hey,

Not sure if this is still relevant but I lived in one of Anil's houses. My housemates and I are still trying to get our utilities back from him. We lived at 23 Thorndale Crescent.
Old 09-17-2013 at 11:11 PM   #3
Christ

Liked: 9 Times

Yeah... I live at 46 Thorndale Cres owned by Anil and we too are waiting for utility bills from months ago AND utility money back for one of our roommates who moved out.

Way to go for actually making the complaint...
Old 09-17-2013 at 11:25 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Yea macinsiders people have complained before. I would go to the Offcampus housing department and file a complaint there. They will guide you on the steps to do and possibly get legal help
http://macoffcampus.mcmaster .ca/oc...ic/contact.htm
Old 01-07-2014 at 10:13 AM   #5
rzadkicp

Liked: 0 Times

He's the landlord at 54 Thorndale Crescent as well.

Last edited by rzadkicp : 01-07-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-07-2014 at 05:24 PM   #6
Nucleus

Liked: 6 Times

I lived in one of his houses as well. The room I wanted was under construction so he gave me another room (which was horrible) and said the construction would be done in a week. A month passed and he never picked up my calls. I moved out and I didn't get my 2 month's rent back, not to mention I had to live in horrible conditions for a month.
Old 01-07-2014 at 08:02 PM   #7
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

make sure you record everything..
Old 01-14-2014 at 05:15 PM   #8
jennea15

My housemates and I filed a T1 against him. Anyone who has not received their utility deposit back I would highly recommend doing this. We won, but earlier today before we went to court, his wife emailed us saying the cheques were in the mailbox at 60 Thorndale for us. We picked them up but still proceeded with the hearing to ensure that we would receive the money even if the cheques bounce. Since he has now had a couple complaints filed against him, I would think that winning will be made even easier for anyone who files against him in the future.

achhin likes this.
Old 01-14-2014 at 06:07 PM   #9
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Nice. He really deserves all this justice considering the shit I keep hearing
Old 01-14-2014 at 06:46 PM   #10
Defroster

Liked: 9 Times

I had him as a landlord once, can't say it was a good experience.
Old 01-15-2014 at 02:18 PM   #11
MacEng

Liked: 125 Times

This is his website (and properties): http://www.offcampusatmac.co m/
Old 01-15-2014 at 02:42 PM   #12
yanj24

Liked: 0 Times

he is not a good landlord, bad experiences. Unless you take some legal action, constant calls, text message and emails. You are definitely not getting your money back.
Old 01-15-2014 at 10:07 PM   #13
achhin

My friends and I tried to rent 60 Thorndale Cres last year. We had all signed the lease and given him our deposits. As soon as that happens, he basically fell off the face of the earth. We were supposed to show 2 of our friends the house for them to sign the lease as well but he didn't return any phone calls or e-mails for over 2 months. Eventually we left an e-mail and voice message saying that we were going to the police and were going to take legal actions in addition to cancelling the cheques if he didn't return them within 24 hours. He eventually mailed them back to me, but he's actually the worst landlord you could possibly have.

I started the original thread last year collecting complaints about him and I also submitted a detailed complaint about him to the Off-Campus Resource Centre. They said that if they had 5 legitimate complaints within 2 years, they would blacklist him from advertising his houses on the McMaster websites. I'm not sure if this has happened yet though :|

Also beware, he sometimes lists his ads under his wife's name "Sarah" or his contractor "Stan".
Old 01-15-2014 at 11:54 PM   #14
gggggg

Liked: 53 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by achhin View Post
My friends and I tried to rent 60 Thorndale Cres last year. We had all signed the lease and given him our deposits. As soon as that happens, he basically fell off the face of the earth. We were supposed to show 2 of our friends the house for them to sign the lease as well but he didn't return any phone calls or e-mails for over 2 months. Eventually we left an e-mail and voice message saying that we were going to the police and were going to take legal actions in addition to cancelling the cheques if he didn't return them within 24 hours. He eventually mailed them back to me, but he's actually the worst landlord you could possibly have.

I started the original thread last year collecting complaints about him and I also submitted a detailed complaint about him to the Off-Campus Resource Centre. They said that if they had 5 legitimate complaints within 2 years, they would blacklist him from advertising his houses on the McMaster websites. I'm not sure if this has happened yet though :|

Also beware, he sometimes lists his ads under his wife's name "Sarah" or his contractor "Stan".
Stan? He sounds like Satan, you guys should all form a group and get a class action against him.
Old 01-19-2014 at 08:40 PM   #15
jennea15

His contractors name is actually Alex. The contractor is a great guy and was very helpful.

towficra likes this.