MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Landlord problems Jennnnn Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 8 02-11-2013 09:22 PM
McMaster Complaints daniasa Academics 7 09-11-2012 09:27 AM
A retiree and a landlord ychen Introduce Yourself 3 04-22-2012 05:13 PM
Can my landlord do this? Ownaginatios Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 43 03-04-2011 11:13 AM
sketchy landlord? shleyaa General Discussion 11 01-13-2009 07:34 PM

Complaints About Landlord- Anil Senaratna

Old 01-23-2014 at 02:12 PM   #16
rahink

Liked: 0 Times

worst landlord
He is actually a horrible landlord. He will never reply to your calls, emails or texts. The only time he will get in contact with you is to get money. He's very sketchy.

Also he's making appointments with people to come see the house and he's not even showing up himself ( this is at 54 thorndale cres).

coby says thanks to rahink for this post.
Old 01-24-2014 at 06:01 PM   #17
sanam

Liked: 1 Time

Would not reccomend, he cut off our electricity in the middle of the winter leaving us in the cold...

coby says thanks to sanam for this post.
Old 01-24-2014 at 06:08 PM   #18
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by achhin View Post
I started the original thread last year collecting complaints about him and I also submitted a detailed complaint about him to the Off-Campus Resource Centre. They said that if they had 5 legitimate complaints within 2 years, they would blacklist him from advertising his houses on the McMaster websites. I'm not sure if this has happened yet though :|

Also beware, he sometimes lists his ads under his wife's name "Sarah" or his contractor "Stan".
Under the Mac Off Campus site, the place didn't have a contact name or phone/email and you had to message him through the off campus site. He is still kicking around but now I know what to look for

coby says thanks to Snowman for this post.
Old 01-26-2014 at 02:56 AM   #19
tylern

Liked: Liked 3 Times

Wow i thought my landlord was bad, but this one wins by a mile =/

coby says thanks to tylern for this post.
Old 01-29-2014 at 07:00 PM   #20
towficra

This guy rented out the same room to me and this other girl at the same time! It was such a mess. I suggest no one should lease any of his houses. He has soo many houses on thorndale crescent! I knew about the stories about how he wouldn't return the deposit money so I told him I won't pay him any deposit and moved in. He said the room will be furnished but then while staying there I found out I was using someone else's bed and desk. One day she shows up and takes away her furniture. I was without furniture for over a week. The house is not that well maintained either. There are flies and spiders in the house!

He is the worst landlord one can have. The Alex guy is very helpful but he only works when Anil asks him to and getting Anil to do that takes forever. So basically nothing's done on time.

coby says thanks to towficra for this post.
Old 01-30-2014 at 03:19 PM   #21
BenDover
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEng View Post
This is his website (and properties): http://www.offcampusatmac.co m/
You better take nuts swinging off your profile, McMaster might ban all of MI for one of its users having a distasteful slogan on their profile...
Old 04-11-2014 at 12:40 PM   #22
missvanessa

Cannot Contact
I have signed a lease with him for 2014-2015 and we have been trying to contact Anil Senaratna for the past 3 months….and we have gotten no where. What do I do??
Old 04-11-2014 at 01:16 PM   #23
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

Find the off campus department try to get legal action
Old 04-19-2014 at 02:18 PM   #24
genderwt

I also have been trying to contact Anil, I've rented a basement for the upcoming 2014-2015 year and I haven't been able to contact him for the past 2 months. He has an email address and 2 phone numbers, neither of which have voice mails and I haven't heard anything. I'm going to the student off campus housing office to figure out my options and file a complaint.
Old 04-19-2014 at 03:31 PM   #25
merissa

Liked: Liked 4 Times

Ironically I just saw him a couple days ago at Baskin Robbins.... he's around somewhere!
Old 04-19-2014 at 07:33 PM   #26
CrashPlague
Gravity is Just a Theory

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by genderwt View Post
I also have been trying to contact Anil, I've rented a basement for the upcoming 2014-2015 year and I haven't been able to contact him for the past 2 months. He has an email address and 2 phone numbers, neither of which have voice mails and I haven't heard anything. I'm going to the student off campus housing office to figure out my options and file a complaint.
Old 04-23-2014 at 10:54 PM   #27
sanam

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by genderwt View Post
After we signed, we could not contact him at all. The only way to get him to contact you is to be a month behind on rent.
Old 04-23-2014 at 11:37 PM   #28
HILLyBilly
Account Locked

Liked: 13 Times

This is exactly why I always recommend students to never give pre-authorize cheques. If you force the landlord to always come to you for monthly rent every month, you will always have a venue for contact.

If the landlord demand it when signing a lease, I point out to them that it is illegal for them to force pre-authorize cheques as a method of payment. If they ignore it and say something along the line of "Its my rule" then I know that is a foreshadow on the integrity of such landlord.

Students really need to be informed at the amount of shady practices landlords are allowed to get away with. A friend of mine for example was forced by the landlord to renew the lease in January (even though the last date on the last is end of April). This is a common practice because landlords want ample of time to look for new renters and January is the peaked season.

Guess what though? Its fucking illegal! You are only require to give 60 days notice maximum. Your lease ending does not mean the landlord can evict you. Forcing you to sign a new lease 4 months ahead of your lease ending and threaten to kick you out is against every single law we have in Ontario.

Good luck with this case, file formal complains with the University. Spread the words. Evaluate what is legal and what isn't and learn from this experience.
Old 06-19-2014 at 01:32 PM   #29
LexiRudlin

WARNING-Anil Senaratna
Hello Everyone,
Wow! Can't believe all the complaints about Anil. We signed a lease in May for the 2014-2015 year and paid our deposit. We have not heard from him nor do we have our keys yet. We have filed a complaint with Off Site Campus.
Thx

Last edited by LexiRudlin : 06-19-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-19-2014 at 01:35 PM   #30
LexiRudlin

Same with us. We don't even have the keys. We paid our deposit and we were suppose to get our keys May 1st. We have tried calling him and emailing him and nothing.

Last edited by LexiRudlin : 06-19-2014 at 02:44 PM.