MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
old laptop Jamalf Computers & Tech 14 05-21-2011 01:35 AM
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
Mac Computer Science from College Computer Technology steve2345 Academics 3 10-17-2010 07:20 PM

computer or laptop

Old 06-07-2013 at 11:30 AM   #16
vandidant

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
Whatever you do, don't get an Asus Zenbook. Nope. Never.

Source: personal experience, still suffering it.
I was actually considering a zenbook, but decided it wasn't for me. It did look like a decent ultrabook for the price though... what's so bad about it?
Old 06-07-2013 at 11:36 AM   #17
Atheist?

Liked: 31 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
Whatever you do, don't get an Asus Zenbook. Nope. Never.

Source: personal experience, still suffering it.
What is wrong with a Zenbook? The two I used were pretty awesome and I don't really hear anything but praise about it from most tech reviews.

And regarding the main topic, Ultrabooks are awesome but if you just plan on using it at home/dorm and the occasional study session with friends you'd prob be better off getting a mid-range laptop (recommend Lenovo y500 series, specifically the y580 because I have one and it is amazing) and getting a tablet for reading pdf's and class notes during class (recommend the Nexus 7 or if you can wait for it the new Asus Memopad or Galaxy Tab 2.0 is pretty good).

If you are still deciding on what option to pick, I personally got a gaming desktop and a mid-range laptop for when I go back home and when I need a computer at school. It has worked pretty well so far and haven't really had any complaints. I have a Nexus 7 as well for those few classes that need notes during class (for 200$ it is definitely worth it).

Cheers and have a great summer!

Last edited by Atheist? : 06-07-2013 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 06-07-2013 at 02:00 PM   #18
vandidant

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheist? View Post
a tablet for reading pdf's and class notes during class (recommend the Nexus 7 or if you can wait for it the new Asus Memopad or Galaxy Tab 2.0 is pretty good).

Cheers and have a great summer!
Are notebooks too big for class? I was actually thinking of getting one of those flipping ultrabooks with stylus/touchscreen, practical or bad idea? Do students still need pen and paper, or will OneNote etc. suffice?

Thanks
Old 06-07-2013 at 02:37 PM   #19
Atheist?

Liked: 31 Times

I personally hate using notebooks in class since they make the already small seats feel even smaller though I don't do much writing in most classes since it is mostly concept based learning. The touchscreen ultras are a great option, I have used a few and they did work pretty well, though they are a tad on the expensive side for some of the better ones. I use pen and paper for all my notes but it is a preference thing. You could get something like the Asus Transformer Tablet, the keyboard part is detachable so you can have either a tablet or a touchscreen laptop depending on what you want to use. I would stay clear of the iPad just because it is so expensive compared to what you get but once again preference.
Old 06-07-2013 at 02:42 PM   #20
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Laptop with a monitor and mouse. Essentially feels like a dekstop then.
Old 06-07-2013 at 02:49 PM   #21
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterCherry View Post
What you are insinuating is that the amount of time needed for homework and studying is the same for both university and highschool? ... I doubt a majority of the student body would agree with you on that. There is always going to be leisure time at university when either you dont have assignments, or you are taking a break from studying. I would bring it just to give you that option to relax and destress from studying for a brief period here and there. You just need to have a level of self control not to prioritize gaming over education
I really didn't find the workload in first year university to be significantly more than Grade 12 (It was more, but not hugely so). The work is a bit harder and the stakes are higher (i.e. fewer tests worth far more of your grade) but the overall workload change wasn't massive. I had time to game in first year, but didn't in 2nd year+ because of extracurriculars (Though I have a number of friends that were less involved with extracurriculars that gamed all through undergrad).