Wet Laptop...New Laptop? Afzal Computers & Tech 84 12-26-2009 08:53 PM
Which Laptop?? manav Computers & Tech 216 09-03-2009 11:35 PM
Laptop? kanishka General Discussion 51 07-03-2009 08:40 PM

Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions

Old 09-29-2010 at 03:18 PM   #1
**jewel 03**

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions
What is the difference between Intel Core, AMD Athlon II dual core, Intel Centrino, and AMD Phenom II triple-core? Which one is the best? The reason why I am asking is because I am looking for a new laptop and the things that are most important for me is-speed, battery, weight, and how hot it gets. Based on those criteria which laptop do you guys recommend?
Old 09-29-2010 at 03:43 PM   #2
recyclebin12

Liked: 0 Times

Unfortunately as you go for more high performance laptops, it will get shorter battery life, weigh more and heat up more. So give your criteria a ranking and we'll start over.
Old 09-29-2010 at 04:28 PM   #3
drhorrible

Liked: 98 Times

If you're looking for a laptop that is fast, light, doesn't heat up and has a long battery life, a Macbook is probably your answer. However, if you don't want to shell out $1200+ for a laptop, you're going to have to reconsider what is most important to you. A laptop that is light, fast, cool,lasts forever and inexpensive is like the holy grail of laptops, lol.

What will you be using your laptop for? If you only use it to browse the internet, check email, word processing and listening to music, chances are that you don't need a high performance laptop. In that case, you'll probably want a middle-of-the-range laptop, which will probably give you a better battery life, as recyclebin112 mentioned.

With processors, the more "cores" it has, the better it is at multitasking. The higher the GHz value, the faster it is at running a single application. Again, if you don't use your laptop heavily (such as running programs like Photoshop CS or gaming), I think a two-core processor should probably handle your computer's processes just fine. In general, I believe that the AMD processors heat up a bit more than the Intel processors, from what I've read from CNET reviews in the past. I'm not sure if that is true anymore... maybe AMD has made some improvements... can anyone confirm? Hope that helps with your processors question.
Old 09-29-2010 at 04:35 PM   #4
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhorrible View Post
. In general, I believe that the AMD processors heat up a bit more than the Intel processors, from what I've read from CNET reviews in the past. I'm not sure if that is true anymore... maybe AMD has made some improvements... can anyone confirm? Hope that helps with your processors question.
yeah that's right
AMD processors tend to heat up more than Intel processors, but nothing a good cooling pad can't fix
Old 09-29-2010 at 04:55 PM   #5
Rstevenson

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
If you're looking for a laptop that is fast, light, doesn't heat up and has a long battery life, a Macbook is probably your answer.
Last Macbook I held was even hotter than my AMD powered laptop, just as heavy (if not heavier) and we'd need to benchmark to compare speeds.

There are a lot of laptops out there, start looking at reviews and go from there.
Old 09-29-2010 at 05:03 PM   #6
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

http://www.notebookcheck.net /
End of story. Extensive reviews for laptops, with criteria that'll help suit your need.
Old 09-29-2010 at 05:12 PM   #7
**jewel 03**

ok so I guess AMD laptops are out...I don't often run programs like Photoshop, and I am not that much of a gamer. I do multi task alot-as in word, music, internet/downloading at once, so as long as the speed can handle that without slowing down then I'm good. The order of importance for me would be battery, speed, how hot it gets and then weight. Right now I am considering Sony Vaio, Dell, Hp or Toshiba
Old 09-29-2010 at 05:19 PM   #8
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by **jewel 03** View Post
ok so I guess AMD laptops are out...I don't often run programs like Photoshop, and I am not that much of a gamer. I do multi task alot-as in word, music, internet/downloading at once, so as long as the speed can handle that without slowing down then I'm good. The order of importance for me would be battery, speed, how hot it gets and then weight. Right now I am considering Sony Vaio, Dell, Hp or Toshiba
Toshiba.

I don't personally use it as my primary computer anymore since I moved home and bought a desktop but the Toshiba Satellite laptop I bought in first year still works great. My sister got a newer Toshiba model when she went into first year last year and its great and when my cousin wanted a laptop last Christmas he also got a similar Toshiba laptop. We all love them and I don't hear any horror stories about Toshibas like I do about Dells or HP. Personally I also wouldn't touch another HP product with a 10 foot poll after the experience with this damn printer I got. The main complaints I read about Sony's are that they're expensive.

In short I really, really like Toshibas.

Perhaps this one or something similar?

http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.gr...roduc t=10510

Last edited by sew12 : 09-29-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-29-2010 at 05:28 PM   #9
**jewel 03**

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Toshiba.

I don't personally use it as my primary computer anymore since I moved home and bought a desktop but the Toshiba Satellite laptop I bought in first year still works great. My sister got a newer Toshiba model when she went into first year last year and its great and when my cousin wanted a laptop last Christmas he also got a similar Toshiba laptop. We all love them and I don't hear any horror stories about Toshibas like I do about Dells or HP. Personally I also wouldn't touch another HP product with a 10 foot poll after the experience with this damn printer I got. The main complaints I read about Sony's are that they're expensive.

In short I really, really like Toshibas.

Perhaps this one or something similar?

http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.gr...roduc t=10510
Thanks! Just wondering is this the one you have?
Old 09-29-2010 at 05:30 PM   #10
drhorrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rstevenson View Post
Last Macbook I held was even hotter than my AMD powered laptop, just as heavy (if not heavier) and we'd need to benchmark to compare speeds.

The only time my Macbook got hotter than my previous laptop (Toshiba Satellite A-something series that died ) was when I had it on whole day while running GarageBand and had watched 2 movies on it. I have the 13 inch and it only weighs 2kg, which is considered pretty light. I guess it depends on which model you look at... I'd imagine the 15 inch with the i7 processor would heat up quite a bit. That said, I think most laptops should be okay with staying sufficiently cool as long as you don't keep it actively running for an extended period of time and clean out the vents/heat sink with compressed air from time to time. Or get a cooling pad.
Old 09-29-2010 at 05:32 PM   #11
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
The only time my Macbook got hotter than my previous laptop (Toshiba Satellite A-something series that died ) was when I had it on whole day while running GarageBand and had watched 2 movies on it. I have the 13 inch and it only weighs 2kg, which is considered pretty light. I guess it depends on which model you look at... I'd imagine the 15 inch with the i7 processor would heat up quite a bit. That said, I think most laptops should be okay with staying sufficiently cool as long as you don't keep it actively running for an extended period of time and clean out the vents/heat sink with compressed air from time to time. Or get a cooling pad.
Running a program and watching 2 movies in a day makes your godly Macbook overheat?
Me thinks we need to reconsider what's godly.

I haven't turned off my Toshiba in 3 weeks and it's as cool as they day I first turned it on.

(but side note, Toshiba battery is mediocre in terms of life =[)

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 09-29-2010 at 05:40 PM   #12
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
You do know theres 11 different models of macbooks that have been made, right? Some were notoriously bad. Like the '06 and '07 ones with the bad hard drives, for example. So just because the model you had ran cool, doesn't mean it was the same computer.
Old 09-29-2010 at 05:53 PM   #13
drhorrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Running a program and watching 2 movies in a day makes your godly Macbook overheat?
Me thinks we need to reconsider what's godly.

I haven't turned off my Toshiba in 3 weeks and it's as cool as they day I first turned it on.

(but side note, Toshiba battery is mediocre in terms of life =[)
The Macbook is not "godly"... and I have not had it overheat either. I just said that the only time it got hotter than my old Toshiba was when I had it actively running for 20 consecutive hours... which was not really all that hot lol.

I was pretty happy with my Toshiba laptop until it died and refused to turn on again. :(

Oh, and don't get a VAIO... if you read the reviews, there are many people who have experienced problems and awful customer service from Sony. I know at least 3 people who had VAIOs and experienced a lot of problems with it as well.

Last edited by drhorrible : 09-29-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-29-2010 at 05:58 PM   #14
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

If you're looking for something with good heat control, lightweight, and excellent battery life, and not shell out 800+, I'd suggest looking into Asus and Acer. I know of quite a few models from these brands that are $500-$700-ish, and have the characteristics mentioned. From what I've seen, their prices for lightweight, long-battery models are lower than those of other brands. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The Acer Aspire 4810TZ is what I had. $450 online, refurbished. However, the model I got used Intel Pentium (single-core), which was too slow. It would've been fine with a core 2 duo, which this model is available with. This model is available online with core 2 duo for <$600.

I personally quite like Asus, which is what I'm switching out my Acer for. 10-hour battery ftw. ;)

drhorrible likes this.
Old 09-29-2010 at 06:00 PM   #15
drhorrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
You do know theres 11 different models of macbooks that have been made, right? Some were notoriously bad. Like the '06 and '07 ones with the bad hard drives, for example. So just because the model you had ran cool, doesn't mean it was the same computer.
My mistake, I should have specified the current line of Macbooks. I'm not really familiar with the older Macbook models, having been a PC user for most of my life.

Oh and before the Apple-hate begins (lol, I can feel it coming)... don't get a Mac if you don't need to! If you're using it like a regular person, chances are that you don't need one. Format your PC and run Ubuntu to be rid of your Windows problems lol.

To the OP, you should also check the Dell website regularly. They have really amazing deals for laptops sometimes... I've seen them go for 40% off! Often they offer a discount for ordering their stuff online too.

Last edited by drhorrible : 09-29-2010 at 06:09 PM.