MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
Laptop Necessary? fall3n Computers & Tech 25 07-05-2010 05:52 PM
Which Laptop?? manav Computers & Tech 216 09-03-2009 11:35 PM
Laptop? kanishka General Discussion 51 07-03-2009 08:40 PM

Wet Laptop...New Laptop?

Old 12-12-2009 at 12:18 AM   #1
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

Wet Laptop...New Laptop?
Okay, so I just bought my first laptop in September after coming to Canada for the first time.

....and I accidentally spilled some water on it yesterday :'(
...and unfortunately I was so ocupied in drying it out of the keyboard that it didn't cross my mind that it was also seeping from under it!

the thing flickered out of life in my arms :((

so, the thing is...I'm almost over it since I've realized that Toshiba might actually not repair the laptop if there are water-sensitive stickers inside it but I sent it to them anyway and I'm awaiting their horrifying reply soon (well, most part of me is hoping for the best)

But I want to ask 2 things:

1. What happens mostly in this case?
2. Which laptop is comparable to it at almost the same or less price (it was a Toshiba A500-025)

Thank you

Last edited by Afzal : 12-12-2009 at 12:59 AM.
Old 12-12-2009 at 12:26 AM   #2
marieeeeeee

Liked: 26 Times

Did you take the battery out/flip it over? That's what I did when I spilled bubble tea on my laptop :( .....see if it still works after it dries out first.
Old 12-12-2009 at 12:55 AM   #3
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by marieeeeeee View Post
Did you take the battery out/flip it over? That's what I did when I spilled bubble tea on my laptop :( .....see if it still works after it dries out first.
see if i had imagined the damage was gonna be so huge, i would've taken it out...this didn't cross my mind at time :(
it's gone for warranty claim right now and I hope they can repair it or something
but if they don't, would they return any money or something? (it's been only 3 months for crying out loud!)
Old 12-12-2009 at 01:31 AM   #4
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Liked: 51 Times

My friend had some dork spill an entire pitcher of water on his brand new MacBook Pro, 2 years ago. He immediately turned it off, and left it upside down, so the water would drip out. When he got home, he (mistakenly) used a blow-dryer on it, which warped the keys slightly--he stopped when he saw it happening though. He left it open, upside down for 4 days (just to be sure) said a prayer and turned it on, and Voila! It magically worked and has continued to work perfectly to this day

Old 12-12-2009 at 01:48 AM   #5
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

lol...bought my laptop in september too. Already spilled pop on mine twice, plus I saw an ant go inside the keyboard the other day. Still workin though (thankfully).

Like the other people, I just held mine upside down, but i only did for about 5 mins. Some of my keys were sticky so I had to take them off, and clean off the inside but thats about it. As far as replacement options go, I know you can borrow laptops from the libraries for two week periods, so thats probably your best short-term bet. Ask Toshiba how long the repair will take (or if they are willing to repair it). If the wait period is like 2 months or something, I would suggest picking up a cheap laptop from ebay or something. My friend did the same earlier this year; got a half decent piece of junk for $100.
Old 12-12-2009 at 02:12 AM   #6
cowcow

Liked: 2 Times

As long as you let all the components inside the laptop dry before starting it up again. It will be fine.
Old 12-12-2009 at 02:27 AM   #7
DarkReaper

Liked: 7 Times

Put it in a big box or bag of rice overnight. The rice would absorb the moisture inside the laptop.
Old 12-12-2009 at 02:27 AM   #8
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Here's a cheap replacement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98cYRUnbBhI&N R=1

(In honour of my 1000'th post)

Old 12-12-2009 at 10:54 AM   #9
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

I would hope/think Toshiba would have some sort of reasonable repair or replacement options for you seeing as you only bought the laptop a few months ago. There's no way you should be out all that money b/c of an accident.

Now this accidental damage is not covered under your standard warranty:
http://support.toshiba.ca/support/se...d%20Warrant y

Due to that it is likely that you will have to pay something for the repair/replacement but like I said, they should be reasonable considering how recently you bought this laptop. If Toshiba wants to keep you as a customer in the future it is in their best interest to be helpful in this situation, it was a simple accident.

I think you should call Toshiba customer service if you haven't already and explain your situation and see what they can do for you.

You should not have to purchase another brand new laptop b/c you accidentally spilled something on it.

Afzal says thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 12-12-2009 at 10:56 AM   #10
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Toshiba will not replace that for free, even under warranty.

I would know.

-toshiba fangirl-

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 12-12-2009 at 03:45 PM   #11
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

in fact there is no water damage for any laptop company. let it dry out, your laptop may come back from the dead. Just give it 48 hours atleast and put it near a warm place to let the water evaporate. 7/10 times it'll be find. you could try to get it repaired there is a chinese guy Sam Song (born to be techonological) who has a shop in westdale he might be able to fix it up, recover your data but of course depending on how bad it is... its going to cost you. You should wait for BOXING DAY. there are going to be some good deals going from what i've heard and seen and from my contacts at best buy... this year is supose to be bigger than the last few years
Old 12-12-2009 at 04:11 PM   #12
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Toshiba will not replace that for free, even under warranty.

I would know.

-toshiba fangirl-
Oh they definitely won't replace it for free but there should be some kind of reasonable option for him. I think calling and speaking to someone directly would be the best bet.
Old 12-12-2009 at 04:54 PM   #13
John H

Liked: 21 Times

HP ftw

Kevin S likes this.
Old 12-12-2009 at 07:10 PM   #14
WekSos

Liked: 24 Times

not really sure about your situation i kinda just skimmed through it. But how is the laptop working now ?
Is there any burning smells from the mobo?
It might be late now, but when you spill stuff on electronics, dry it out as much as u can, take the batteyr out and try to vent it out and dry it with a blow dryer. once you dried all you actually can.... no joke get a tupper wear thing (might be harder for a laptop) and fill it up with WHITE RICE, uncooked ofcourse and seal it up for like 12 hours. The rice will absorb the moisture.

This is known to work on cell phones. I personally got my dad's motorolla phone back to life because of the moisture when he was working out side in teh rain.

And another time when a friend dropped the phone in the toilet (LOL).

Oh ya ps. ASUS FTMFW! 2 year global warranty ...
oh ya did i mention i also have 1 year ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE warranty?
pretty much with an asus, in your situation, you couldve dropped the laptop into the lake, then dropped it down your stairs and then short circuit everything and they would repair the laptop for u and if its not repairable, then replace it with a model equivelent or better
Old 12-12-2009 at 11:09 PM   #15
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

it should still work. I had a full sized desktop with a fan on the top ( large 5in radius fan). I spilled amount 250ml of cranberry juice right into by accident. needless to say the thing started to short. After me diving to the electrical outlet hollywood style I manged to turn it off. Just took all the components out and cleaned the parts with distilled water. Works perfectly still. Pain in the ass clean mind you, liquid through a fan is not a good thing.

I should also add that you should be careful with water and laptop batteries. Most will be fine but there are some faulty batteries out there that can cause a nice little reaction with water to occur resulting in alot of pain. (if it is on your lap) (this is very rare)

Last edited by thedog123123 : 12-12-2009 at 11:13 PM.