MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
$35 Laptop! blackdragon Computers & Tech 14 07-23-2010 11:38 PM
Which Laptop?? manav Computers & Tech 216 09-03-2009 11:35 PM
Laptop? kanishka General Discussion 51 07-03-2009 08:40 PM

Laptop Necessary?

Old 07-01-2010 at 11:40 PM   #1
fall3n

Liked: 1 Time

Laptop Necessary?
I'm going into first year, and I was wondering if I really needed a laptop.

I have a decent desktop I have right now, but I could see where a laptop could come in handy. If I were to get one, I would probably do notes electronically, because I type much faster than I write. Also, I game a little, so I would be looking to spend about a grand atleast, which is why I'm debating whether or not to get one.

So my question is: is a laptop really necessary first year, or can I do without it?
Old 07-01-2010 at 11:42 PM   #2
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Yeah, you'll be fine with your desktop.

You're in science, you won't need it to take notes.
Old 07-01-2010 at 11:44 PM   #3
Sameen

Liked: 3 Times

I also think that it's not that necessary! You will be fine without it at school. There are computers everywhere in case you really need to use one while you are on campus!
Old 07-01-2010 at 11:45 PM   #4
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

I think I brought my laptop to school about 4 times last year. So no, definitely not necessary.
Old 07-02-2010 at 12:05 AM   #5
killza

Liked: 105 Times

Heres my take on it... a lot of times you'll discover that you actually do work IN the library as opposed to getting distracted at home.. and obviously you don't wanna use the disgusting shared macs (which are decent... but just gross sometimes since EVERYONE uses it during break). This means that yes, if you feel the need to work in a empty, quiet area (which you will as the year goes on) then a lap top is very much needed. If you feel like you're not going to get distracted at home, then a desktop will suffice.
Old 07-02-2010 at 12:11 AM   #6
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Its good for group projects and such, but not required for physically bringing to class.
Old 07-02-2010 at 12:12 AM   #7
Rstevenson

Liked: 25 Times

They are a very big distraction. I think i pretty much only used mine to play games...
Old 07-02-2010 at 02:31 AM   #8
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall3n View Post
I'm going into first year, and I was wondering if I really needed a laptop.

I have a decent desktop I have right now, but I could see where a laptop could come in handy. If I were to get one, I would probably do notes electronically, because I type much faster than I write. Also, I game a little, so I would be looking to spend about a grand atleast, which is why I'm debating whether or not to get one.

So my question is: is a laptop really necessary first year, or can I do without it?
1) You can do without a laptop, but it is pretty damn useful, it makes taking and going over notes considerably easier. I personally used a laptop for all my first year science classes (except math and chem).

2) Do not spend $1000+ on a gaming laptop, you'll end up with something that's not a very good laptop (i.e. big, heavy, hot, and horrible battery life) and not exactly a great gaming PC (upgrading your desktop will almost certainly get you better gaming performance than damn near any gaming laptop).
You should be looking to spend either ~$300 on a solid netbook (if you can deal with a compressed keyboard) or ~$600 on a Laptop (preferably a ULV if you want really insane battery life)

kristopherk likes this.
Old 07-02-2010 at 07:49 AM   #9
bieneres

Liked: 2 Times

I have a laptop and only bring it to campus once in a blue moon... it is handy when you want to study in the library, but for me I can usually study just as well at my house.
Another thing to consider is that you can always rent a laptop from the library when you want to find a quieter place than the computer areas to study.
If I were you i would maybe stick with my desktop for now, and if it really is an inconvenience for you or not giving you what you need in a comuter, you could buy a laptop sometime during the school year.
Old 07-02-2010 at 08:18 AM   #10
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

I actually use my laptop a lot. I don't use it at all for writing notes in class but I use it whenever I have breaks (which I have a lot since all my courses only have one core so I end up with 3 or ' hour long breaks). So I've become accostumed to bringing it with me so that I can get work done in between classes, since going home to do work doesn't work for me. Since you already have a desktop though I would say try it out for a bit, see if you can handle everything without the laptop and if you can't then get a laptop.

Old 07-02-2010 at 09:57 AM   #11
MTK3

Liked: 0 Times

What about a printer? Do we need to bring our own printers to school? Is it more convenient?
Old 07-02-2010 at 09:59 AM   #12
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Where are you going to store that printer? If your in res, yes bring it. If not, you can get a library card and print when required.
Old 07-02-2010 at 01:51 PM   #13
amyshi

Liked: 19 Times

I game a lot (been into mmos for the past 7 years) and I've had 4 laptops and 1 desktop. Anyways, from my experience, most laptops are not for games. Your desktop is probably considerably better for gaming than a laptop of the same price. So save your money for textbooks.
Old 07-02-2010 at 02:27 PM   #14
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Used it solely for watching videos online haha. Having a laptop is definitely not needed in first year. Plenty of computers available on campus and if you do need a laptop for whatever reason you can rent them out at the library free of charge. It will more than likely serve more as a distraction imo. If you think your going to do work in between classes for that 1 or 2 hour break forget it lol. I find it impossible to do work at school prefer to do it at home but thats just me.

Last edited by AnguishedEnd : 07-02-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-02-2010 at 02:38 PM   #15
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Okay.. I will go out here and say you *NEED* at least *A* computer. Desktop, laptop, doesn't matter. But with all the online quizzes, assignments, and lectures (all Psych lectures are online only for first semester), a computer is a must. Almost anytime I went to a library all the public computers were taken. Just have some self control, and don't watch endless hours of TV shows on it