MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
$35 Laptop! blackdragon Computers & Tech 14 07-23-2010 11:38 PM
Which Laptop?? manav Computers & Tech 216 09-03-2009 11:35 PM
Laptop? kanishka General Discussion 51 07-03-2009 08:40 PM

Laptop Necessary?

Old 07-02-2010 at 04:39 PM   #16
fall3n

Liked: 1 Time

Ah thanks a lot for the feedback guys.

I guess I'll stick with the desktop for now. And if the library loans out laptops (didn't know that before) then there shouldn't be a problem.

Old 07-02-2010 at 05:05 PM   #17
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
I think I brought my laptop to school about 4 times last year. So no, definitely not necessary.
I was the opposite, actually.
I brought it to school EVERYDAY.
Took notes on it, did some work/research during my bigger breaks..
that way, I didn't have to worry about trying to find a computer in Mills or Thode. =/

I wouldn't say it's a total necessity, but it definitely made my life easier.

Old 07-02-2010 at 05:27 PM   #18
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo.monica View Post
Yeah, I saw how well you used it in Psych. Talking to Kyle on MSN, posting on facebook, and answering questions from internet creepers on formspring is hardly a necessity

feonateresa likes this.
Old 07-02-2010 at 05:44 PM   #19
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Yeah, I saw how well you used it in Psych. Talking to Kyle on MSN, posting on facebook, and answering questions from internet creepers on formspring is hardly a necessity
LOL wth?
pretty sure that was summer school, a course I was just upgrading -_-
but during the actual school year, I didn't go on msn, lol I straight up took awesome ass notes.
and remember during breaks, when you & lawley wanted me to go to the gamesroom to play?
and I went AND DID WORK ON MY LAPTOP?!
yes, exactly.
useful. I didn't see no computers in the gamesrooom.

Old 07-02-2010 at 06:29 PM   #20
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

I've never seen the need for a personal computer for actual school work.. but having access to the ability to download/stream videos/games/etc will keep your mental health intact.
Old 07-05-2010 at 10:47 AM   #21
thatdudeukno

I honestly can't justify taking notes on a laptop. Maybe I am just old fashioned this way but I find it is too much of a hassle to conveniently input all my notes on laptop. A tablet is definitely better if you intend on taking notes but I prefer just pen and paper. I personally have a desktop that I do most of my work on and a small netbook that I sometimes carry around just to check my email and what not.
Old 07-05-2010 at 01:11 PM   #22
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I don't know, for me it depended on my class. I've taken a bunch of social science and humanities courses, and damn, some of those profs talk fast and I need a laptop to keep up. I remember in sociology, my friends notes were sorta crappy compared to mine because I was able to keep up with the prof. In second year, I didn't use my laptop as much at all.

I would say go to classes first and get a feel for what it's like before you buy a laptop.
Old 07-05-2010 at 01:41 PM   #23
Pay919

Liked: 57 Times

Having a laptop or not depends on how you work.

Personally, I don't use it in class, but I find it very useful when going to the library or when I'm
working in group.

A laptops usefullness also depends on where you live. If you're on campus you'll need it less, but if you're offcampus it makes it much easier to bring your laptop with you. That way you'll be able to access your computer in between class.
Old 07-05-2010 at 04:22 PM   #24
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo.monica View Post
I was the opposite, actually.
I brought it to school EVERYDAY.
Took notes on it, did some work/research during my bigger breaks..
that way, I didn't have to worry about trying to find a computer in Mills or Thode. =/

I'm the exact same way. But that's because we're in Humanities/Social Sciences.
People in Engineering, Science and Math would probably never use a laptop in lectures. I think it's only good for Humanities and Soc Sci.
Old 07-05-2010 at 05:09 PM   #25
DMe3

Liked: 26 Times

what about for later years? do you use it a lot more?
Old 07-05-2010 at 05:52 PM   #26
chugaucon

Liked: 11 Times

Like many others have said, it really depends on the class you're taking and the way a prof teaches the course (some will not give notes ahead of time, while most profs will post skeletal notes. In general, science students tend not to rely on lap top as much for notes since there inadvertently will be diagrams/charts that is easier to do by hand.

I personally like to have my lap top since 1) I can keep up with the prof and actually listen to the lecture 2) It's easier to read/study for tests later 3) I have my files/research with me if I have a group meeting/project.