MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
$35 Laptop! blackdragon Computers & Tech 14 07-23-2010 11:38 PM
Laptop Necessary? fall3n Computers & Tech 25 07-05-2010 05:52 PM
Which Laptop?? manav Computers & Tech 216 09-03-2009 11:35 PM

Laptop?

Old 07-03-2009 at 06:25 PM   #1
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

Laptop?
if price is not a barrier then wat would u recommend?

windows laptop

or

apple macbook pro?

i have always used windows....but some people say tht once you use leopard os x u will never switch back to windows...and they also say tht if u r buying a laptop and spending such a hefty amount then better to buy a macbook...but the reason i'm asking is to take my course into consideration...i will be joining engineering level 1 this year and will later take up computer engineering...so please post ur comments...
Old 07-03-2009 at 06:27 PM   #2
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

If you're a previous windows user, you might find mac to be extremely aggravating. Apple also tends to be a lot more expensive, but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

I have a Dell with Vista, and it was relatively cheap and works fine. Also, if you want to get a good deal, you should stop by McMaster's bookstore
Old 07-03-2009 at 06:27 PM   #3
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

I would say buy a Macbook pro. It's what I did.

There are a couple of reasons why it's better, but one of the most important ones is that Macs are virtually immune to viruses, so you know it won't ever crap out on you for that reason in a time of need.

The engineering library also has an impressive setup if Mac computers, so clearly they must be pretty awesome.

The other thing is that their battery charge lasts forever! This is important if you have a couple classes back to back and don't want to drag around a power cord all day.
Old 07-03-2009 at 06:29 PM   #4
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

It really depends what you'll mainly be using it for.

If you're buying it mainly to take notes and use internet and stuff it may not be worth the extra expense to purchase at Macbook at this time.

Also if you're into hardcore gaming or something like that a powerful PC would probably be the way to go.

So yeah it depends on your individual needs. Neither is inherently better, it depends what you want/need/can afford etc.
Old 07-03-2009 at 06:30 PM   #5
kanishka
winning

oh k...then can u tell me approx. how many hours does the macbook battery last?
Old 07-03-2009 at 06:32 PM   #6
kanishka
winning

i want it mainly for internet....quick navigating and browsing...and longest lasting backup...and light gaming...so which laptop would give me the best battery back up??
Old 07-03-2009 at 06:32 PM   #7
tigerize8

Liked: 7 Times

generally 7 hours xD

Old 07-03-2009 at 06:33 PM   #8
sew12
Elite Member

According to the Apple website it says this about the new Macbook Pros:

Every new MacBook Pro features an advanced built-in battery that lasts up to 7 hours (8 hours on the 17-inch MacBook Pro) on a single charge.

This depends though on the programs you're running and screen brightness etc. Still that is a lot better than the typical Windows laptop.
Old 07-03-2009 at 06:33 PM   #9
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Since your going into ENG I you will be using programs like Solid Edge, Maple Software, and C# to program. You should check to see if those programs are compatible with a Mac OS as I'm not sure myself.

I used a Dell Studio 15 ($899) with both Windows Vista and Ubuntu installed and it worked great for my first year of engineering.

btw if you really really wanted to you could put both OS's on one laptop (Windows 7 + Mac OS)

Last edited by Bender : 07-03-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-03-2009 at 06:34 PM   #10
tigerize8

Liked: 7 Times

altho from what i read above; you should check if your program/future program uses any software. and whether they're available for pcs, macs or both!

Old 07-03-2009 at 06:34 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
I would say buy a Macbook pro. It's what I did.

There are a couple of reasons why it's better, but one of the most important ones is that Macs are virtually immune to viruses, so you know it won't ever crap out on you for that reason in a time of need.

The engineering library also has an impressive setup if Mac computers, so clearly they must be pretty awesome.

The other thing is that their battery charge lasts forever! This is important if you have a couple classes back to back and don't want to drag around a power cord all day.
I've never had a virus is my life and I've been using windows my entire life.

Dell has pretty good battery life too, my laptop lasts 4-5 hours on battery. It was pretty cheap too, around 500-600$.

What I do like about the Mac is the multi-touch pad. Firefox integrated it with their browser, so now you can use gestures to navigate the web on firefox (I believe it was only possible on safari before).

For Windows, keep in mind that Windows 7 is supposed to be really good. It's supposed to redeem Microsoft for their craptastic vista. Plus, it'll always be an option to replace your screen with a touch screen to get the full Windows 7 experience. Although that will most likely be VERY costly.
Old 07-03-2009 at 06:34 PM   #12
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goelk View Post
oh k...then can u tell me approx. how many hours does the macbook battery last?
As long as you aren't playing a full screen video game or watching a movie, it will last about 5-8 hours approx depending on which new model you buy. Maybe a bit less depending on some other small factors (Screen brightness, volume, keyboard glow, etc.).

Edit: Holy crap, 7 replies in 1 minute!
Old 07-03-2009 at 06:36 PM   #13
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
For Windows, keep in mind that Windows 7 is supposed to be really good. It's supposed to redeem Microsoft for their craptastic vista. Plus, it'll always be an option to replace your screen with a touch screen to get the full Windows 7 experience. Although that will most likely be VERY costly.
I'm using Windows 7 right now, and I love it. 10/10.
Old 07-03-2009 at 06:37 PM   #14
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I've never had a virus is my life and I've been using windows my entire life.
Also it's not true that Macs are immune to viruses as the above poster implied.

It's that they have a much lower market share and therefore far less viruses are created to attack them.
Old 07-03-2009 at 06:38 PM   #15
kanishka
winning

buying a mac won't be a problem if compatibility is an issue...coz it has boot camp...ok tell me 1 thing...after how much time would u ideally want to change ur laptop? like how fast do u get bored with ur laptop?? i know i'm asking weird questions...but plz bear with me!!