MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
$35 Laptop! blackdragon Computers & Tech 14 07-23-2010 11:38 PM
Laptop Necessary? fall3n Computers & Tech 25 07-05-2010 05:52 PM
Which Laptop?? manav Computers & Tech 216 09-03-2009 11:35 PM

Laptop?

Old 07-03-2009 at 06:56 PM   #31
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
If he decides on a PC I definitely wouldn't recommend a Dell.

I like my Toshiba a lot and you can get some great deals on them with huge hard drives and 4 GB of RAM for under $700.
Don't you have to send your Toshiba to a Toshiba dealer in order to get it fixed?
Old 07-03-2009 at 06:59 PM   #32
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Any tips on one that would fit my needs?

Social Science and Humanities student

LCD screen
No Web Cam
SPSS (Statistics Software)
Microsoft Office 2007 (Office Ultimate)
Games: Civilization 4, Sim Societies, Chess, Hearts, InkBall, Minesweeper
Adobe
Utorrent
MSN
Some room for pictures and music, but not too much (500 of each max)

I like how Macs have multiple screens; it helps to keep you focused.
Old 07-03-2009 at 07:00 PM   #33
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goce View Post

LCD screen
No Web Cam
Adobe
Utorrent
MSN

If you want something simple that can handle that, I'd recommend buying an Acer.
Old 07-03-2009 at 07:01 PM   #34
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:

LCD screen
No Web Cam
Adobe
Utorrent
MSN

[offtopic]Did you know there is an add-on for firefox where it directly torrents in the browser?[/offtopic]

You'll have a lot more music once you start university XD. You can always get an external or replace your existing internal.

I opted for a non-gloss screen. No glare, no reflection, no fingerprints.
Old 07-03-2009 at 07:03 PM   #35
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

does toshiba provide a good backup? i have heard tht it doesn't!!
Old 07-03-2009 at 07:12 PM   #36
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
[offtopic]Did you know there is an add-on for firefox where it directly torrents in the browser?[/offtopic]

You'll have a lot more music once you start university XD. You can always get an external or replace your existing internal.

I opted for a non-gloss screen. No glare, no reflection, no fingerprints.
I never knew that about Firefox, but I really like Chrome so I will stick with that most likely.

As for the music, I don't know man, I am very picky about that. I dislike a lot of the popular stuff that gets played. Dance mixes are always fun though.

I am incredibly simple when it comes to computers. I hate how my HP has all this stuff on it that I will never use, like movie maker, web cam, Rhapsody, Internet Radio, CD Burner, etc. Is it possible to get the multiple screen feature on windows based laptops?

Last edited by Goce : 07-03-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-03-2009 at 07:13 PM   #37
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I never knew that about Firefox, but I really like Chrome so I will stick with that most likely.

As for the music, I don't know man, I am very picky about that. I dislike a lot of the popular stuff that gets played. Dance mixes are always fun though.
I'm going to jump onto the Chrome Bandwagon once they finish up with extensions. Still waiting *sigh*.
Old 07-03-2009 at 07:14 PM   #38
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Firefox 4 life!
Old 07-03-2009 at 07:15 PM   #39
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I use Opera.

FF gets moody with me sometimes.
Old 07-03-2009 at 07:17 PM   #40
kanishka
winning

i think safari is the fastest among all...
Old 07-03-2009 at 07:18 PM   #41
kanishka
winning

i think safari's the fastest among all...
Old 07-03-2009 at 07:19 PM   #42
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by goelk View Post
i think safari's the fastest among all...
Yeah, people have done tests and safari is slightly faster. But honestly they are all like milliseconds apart, you don't even feel the difference.
Old 07-03-2009 at 07:34 PM   #43
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Really? Whats the name of the app? That sounds great!

On topic, it really depends on how soon you plan on upgrading. If you think you'll be upgrading within the next 2-3 years, I would go with a PC. You tend to get the same specs for cheaper (and I'm assuming a lesser longevity). Macs tend to last longer, so it could be worth the investment if this is more of a long term purchase for you. Although, its really more of a variability thing with a PC. Some brands are cheaper, some are more durable.

Also keep in mind that many places are offering a free upgrade to Windows 7 upon its release if you buy a PC with Vista now. It has a pretty bad reputation, but I have personally not had a problem with about a year of use. A lot of the bugs have been fixed.

Macs also generally look nicer. On the other hand, I find their OS incredibly counter intuitive. (Possibly because I mainly have experience with Windows).

And while security through obscurity has served Macs well so far, the more people who use it, the greater risk of a good virus being created. They also had the worst showing at Pwn2Own, for two years running.

Windows also has some very shady practices. It installs things without permission (although this has only happened once where it installed a Firefox add on). If you're on the ball you'll notice stuff like that right away, but the process to get rid of it was (possibly intentionally) tricky. And some brands of PC's come with unneeded software that can bloat your machine. It isn't much, and its not hard to get rid of, but it can be a concern if you get a Dell or Acer.

And though it probably isn't relevant, if you want to use Google Chrome, it isn't available for Macs yet.

All that said, I am a Windows user. The Pros are much greater than the cons for me.
Old 07-03-2009 at 07:39 PM   #44
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
Really? Whats the name of the app? That sounds great!

On topic, it really depends on how soon you plan on upgrading. If you think you'll be upgrading within the next 2-3 years, I would go with a PC. You tend to get the same specs for cheaper (and I'm assuming a lesser longevity). Macs tend to last longer, so it could be worth the investment if this is more of a long term purchase for you. Although, its really more of a variability thing with a PC. Some brands are cheaper, some are more durable.

Also keep in mind that many places are offering a free upgrade to Windows 7 upon its release if you buy a PC with Vista now. It has a pretty bad reputation, but I have personally not had a problem with about a year of use. A lot of the bugs have been fixed.

Macs also generally look nicer. On the other hand, I find their OS incredibly counter intuitive. (Possibly because I mainly have experience with Windows).

And while security through obscurity has served Macs well so far, the more people who use it, the greater risk of a good virus being created. They also had the worst showing at Pwn2Own, for two years running.

Windows also has some very shady practices. It installs things without permission (although this has only happened once where it installed a Firefox add on). If you're on the ball you'll notice stuff like that right away, but the process to get rid of it was (possibly intentionally) tricky. And some brands of PC's come with unneeded software that can bloat your machine. It isn't much, and its not hard to get rid of, but it can be a concern if you get a Dell or Acer.

And though it probably isn't relevant, if you want to use Google Chrome, it isn't available for Macs yet.

All that said, I am a Windows user. The Pros are much greater than the cons for me.
FireTorrent: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/10931

Marlowe says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-03-2009 at 07:41 PM   #45
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

Quote:
Opera had this way before firefox made an extension for it.
This thread is going towards browsers. Firefox is the best, just for the extensions alone. FF3.5 and Minefield are fast too.
Safari/Chrome are quick and the Webkit engine is efficient and follows standards well, but no extensions.
Opera has extensions, but not as many as Firefox.
IE8 is okay... don't know how good the extensions are. I don't use it.

Back to laptops.
Macs come with OS X installed. OS X is a decent operating system, it gets less viruses than Windows, but it is not compatible with everything. e.g. if you wanted to run another program, you'd have to either run a windows virtual machine, or dualboot. This is kinda tedious if you just have one app you want to run.
If you just installed Windows you can run every app there is (except mac ones, but there are windows equivalents usually).

Macs look nice. If you want to be trendy, buy one. Hot girls buy macs (from what I've seen in class).

Macs are overpriced. case and point, macbook air. Netbooks are 1/10 of the cost (exaggerating the price difference a bit) and have better specs (just shape and design are different).
The same goes to the other macbooks. Compare them to comparable laptops and the macbook would cost more.

What laptop you get depends on what you're going to use it for.
if gaming, get a high-end laptop ($1500-$2000) which would act as a desktop replacement. But you're gonna get owned with the battery life.

Most everything else, you can get away with a medium-range laptop ($700-$1500).

If you just need it for internet and MS Office, then low-end would be fine too ($500-$700). netbooks ($200-$500, I think) might be good too, not sure about how they well handle office programs though.

Laptops should last you as long as possible (until it breaks from wear and tear). 3-10 years is a fine range. but it really depends on your preference.

Do not get Alienware or anything that costs over $2000. Unless you have the money.

Last edited by FireDragoonX : 07-03-2009 at 07:52 PM.