MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
Laptop Necessary? fall3n Computers & Tech 25 07-05-2010 05:52 PM
Which Laptop?? manav Computers & Tech 216 09-03-2009 11:35 PM
Laptop? kanishka General Discussion 51 07-03-2009 08:40 PM

Wet Laptop...New Laptop?

Old 12-17-2009 at 11:51 AM   #46
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
problem isn't buying from there...it's shipping and duties, i tried to import a Toshiba laptop earlier this year, it had so much duty that i told my uncle to return it

and yes the 2nd laptop is good...on the list it goes
thanks
hmm...go spend the christmas break in the states if you can, then you can skip the duty.

i bought mine from the states, but my parents live in the states anyways, so i didn't have to pay duty.
Old 12-17-2009 at 03:52 PM   #47
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

lol, international student visa complications
i simply can't buy it from the states, otherwise i would've gone and bought the 1st one there

btw, i talked to some person at toshiba and he told me to call toshiba sales and maybe they'll be able to give me a discount for another purchase...i'm not to positive about the now since i've lost all interest in fingerprint magnets now...will give them a call on monday
have to study math

thanks for all the help guys, lawley...the toshiba guy told me audcomp is also gonna charge along the same lines
i'll see what is available and hopefully buy the best bang for the buck (something like 860 without taxes)

hope you guys have a great result
Old 12-17-2009 at 03:54 PM   #48
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

....red laptop blue laptop
Old 12-17-2009 at 04:06 PM   #49
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
So i check the model online and it says it came with 4GB ram?
If you dont get it fixed, take the ram out and if it still works you could get around 50$,depending on what type of ram it is, for it. Also if your harddrive still works, just buy a 15$ enclosure and whola, you have yourself a brandnew external harddrive .

btw, if, hopefully not, it comes to the stage where your gonna throw it out. I wouldnt mind taking it. I enjoy taking those things apart 555
lol, i know how handy it is to have spare computer parts :p no chance of me throwing it out hah
Old 12-17-2009 at 04:14 PM   #50
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

I know accidental water damage and whatnot is the customer's fault but really, they won't do any better someone who purchased a laptop from them less than 4 months ago? That seems pretty unreasonable to me.
Old 12-17-2009 at 04:20 PM   #51
lmasud

Quote:
lol, i know how handy it is to have spare computer parts :p no chance of me throwing it out hah
oh if the ram works, ill buy it for $50.
if you want spare parts, ill give u my 2GB ram + $30 for ur 4GB
Old 12-18-2009 at 04:21 AM   #52
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmasud View Post
if u give me an android phone, only then i'll think about it lol
Old 12-18-2009 at 09:04 AM   #53
lmasud

Quote:
if u give me an android phone, only then i'll think about it lol
what if i just get you the box of an android phone...would that work??
Old 12-18-2009 at 10:00 AM   #54
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
what if i just get you the box of an android phone...would that work??
if i can sell it on ebay as the product, then ... no :p
Old 12-20-2009 at 10:55 PM   #55
Afzal
Android Dev

ok so this is still Pre-Boxing day price but here's the shortlist, I'm sure I'm missing some good laptop but this is the final list as far as my brain tells me:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...803&CatId=4938
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...452-17001%20CA
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...IN#detailspecs
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...SUS-_-34220637

The problem with the highest speced laptop in this list is that it's refurbished with only a 3-month warranty...due to this I would need to purchase an extended warranty separately

There's a GT 130M, GT 220M, 9600M GT and a mighty GTX 260M (the only one with GDDR3 and Physx, but it's refurb! but many people are happy with refurbs....i am so leaning toward it but I just need advice, oh and did I tell you that said laptop has had overheating issues due to the inadequate cooling for GTX 260M, then nVidia released a BIOS fix to increase the fan speed, increasing the noise...underclocking it is a possibility though)

So what do you think I should go for?
Remember, the new Asus do come with 1 year of Accidental warranty coverage but after this hard-learned lesson...I doubt It'll be undergoing any more accidents

First off....I am not a hardcore gamer right now, I just play casually but I have started to play AC and DMC4 now, and will definitely play AC2

so opinions please, the only thing holding me off the refurbed one is the price + extended warranty, which makes is something like $1239 (incl.tax)...and if I don't get the extended warranty...then It's $1017, all others are > $1000 (or equal)

If you say I should go for the GTX 260M laptop, please also tell me what should be my second choice, my budget is not so flexible
please help!

Last edited by Afzal : 12-21-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-20-2009 at 11:20 PM   #56
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
What' kind of Ram is your 2gig? I'm currently looking for one myself!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 12-20-2009 at 11:25 PM   #57
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

Quote:
that is the single best thing i've read in these depressing times! thanks

btw, just wanted to ask
can i buy a laptop on boxing day if i dont hear from toshiba till then
and if they give me a good option or repair the laptop, will i be able to return the new one for a refund
just so that i dont lose on the deals and lose the laptop too?
yeh for sure but it depends on where you buy it. I know futureshop/ bestbuy you are allowed to get a full refund withen 15 days i believe it is. Some places have final sales on boxing day.. and will only exchange products. So before you buy make sure you know what their return policy is and make sure of it so you don't get screwed over in the end.
Old 12-20-2009 at 11:32 PM   #58
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I know accidental water damage and whatnot is the customer's fault but really, they won't do any better someone who purchased a laptop from them less than 4 months ago? That seems pretty unreasonable to me.

No manufacture cover water damage, they only fix their own problems, thus "limited warranty". Unless you buy PSP (product service plans) it a whole extra load of money and its not really worth it in the end. It really sucks... I mean you could contact Toshiba all you want... they really won't do much except send you to their authorized repair shops and provide estimates but like he said its like $800 which is a new laptop.

If you really want more from them, you have to keep calling and get through someone higher up... explain your situation so they feel sympathetic... usually they'll work out something like give you a rebate on another laptop or recover your hard drive or something... it takes a lot of persistent.
Old 12-20-2009 at 11:38 PM   #59
Afzal
Android Dev

umm, please answer the latest post, which has the shortlist thanks...I've already got over the other problems http://www.macinsiders.com/showpost.... &postcount=55

and huzaifa, please don't derail this thread for now lol

Infinity, I understand that one...but I'm not in the mood to buy Toshiba for now, all their models that I want to buy are fingerprint magnets and I have to clean it again and again just to make it look good to me, besides i've already got the dead piece with me now...hoping to get an enclosure and make it a 400gig external

Last edited by Afzal : 12-21-2009 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12-21-2009 at 12:05 AM   #60
Afzal
Android Dev

ok, one more laptop removed from the list
I realized I had better ones costing less up there