MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
Laptop Necessary? fall3n Computers & Tech 25 07-05-2010 05:52 PM
Which Laptop?? manav Computers & Tech 216 09-03-2009 11:35 PM
Laptop? kanishka General Discussion 51 07-03-2009 08:40 PM

laptop

Old 08-27-2010 at 11:08 AM   #1
Teresa123

Liked: 0 Times

laptop
what is better .. a solid state drive or a hard drive?
im planning on getting a macbook pro & im going into the business program
Old 08-27-2010 at 11:11 AM   #2
anthony

Liked: 7 Times

Solid states are better but much more expensive.
Old 08-27-2010 at 11:15 AM   #3
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa123 View Post
Make sure if you do buy a solid state drive, you buy one yourself, and install it. Don't custom order it that way. You'll save a lot of money, not to mention time, that way.
Old 08-27-2010 at 11:23 AM   #4
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa123 View Post
The solid State Drives give you speed boost almoust 5-10 times that of a normal hard drive.
SSD's dont have internal parts so its more durable and will last longer.

That being said your gonna be paying a premium for them. If im right in order to get 512GB hd on your macbook will cost you more than 1000$

Like the above poster said you can install it yourself and save money.

256GB SSD online from newegg --> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc... E16820233085

EDIT : Link on how to do it --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBbvRHS8TJA (updated link?) Thks reeves

If you wanted you could get a Macbook with a normal Hard Drive and remove the cd drive and replace it with a smaller SSD. That way your operating system would run of the SSD and you could use the hard drive as storage. (I believe this is still possible on the unibody ones.

-Rioch

Last edited by Crzyrio : 08-27-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-27-2010 at 11:33 AM   #5
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
Thats not how it's done on Macbook Pros anymore.
Old 08-27-2010 at 11:44 AM   #6
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

I'm not particularly well versed with Macs, but with my experience with SSDs what they improve most are boot times and search times.

Assuming macs auto-index like Windows 7 PCs, search times will be so short that any improvements would be negligible. In which case, boot times should be the only thing that matter and Macs have solid enough battery life to be put into sleep anytime they're not in use without jeopardizing usability so boot times would be a non-issue anyway. Everyday computing performance isn't improved anywhere enough to justify the price of an SSD. Just pick up a 7200RPM HDD and enjoy having 40x the Drive capacity than you would with a similarly priced SSD.
Old 08-27-2010 at 12:17 PM   #7
nawwal-eng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
with my experience with SSDs what they improve most are boot times and search times.
The bigest difference though is that SSD doest not use a needle over a magnetic plate as an HDD would use and because of this it greatly decreases the rate of failure and data loss making an SSD an option for people who are very concerned about any chance of failure. but this option is expensive and my self i have 2 computers and neither HDD have failed as well as 2 external HDD's a 500gb and a 1tb and those havent failed either so its just a matter of taking care of them and buying a good product.
Old 08-27-2010 at 12:54 PM   #8
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

SSD.

6char.
Old 08-27-2010 at 12:56 PM   #9
recyclebin12

Don't waste any further unnecessary money on a ssd on a mac. As a fellow business student, I can assure you, you will not need it. The mac is gona cost you a fortune, boot times are already fast enough on macOS, and its not like you can game much on it either to justify it.
Old 08-27-2010 at 01:22 PM   #10
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Yes i agree ssd is currently not worth the price your paying. Espically for everyday use.
Old 08-27-2010 at 01:27 PM   #11
blackdragon
Elite Member

Actually, SSD's are worth the price, if you use your computer a lot.

You will be big differences in performance, guarunteed.
Old 08-27-2010 at 01:40 PM   #12
recyclebin12

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Actually, SSD's are worth the price, if you use your computer a lot.

You will be big differences in performance, guarunteed.

That "a lot" of use will also cause deterioration of the SSD, unless coupled with a HDD for large file transfers. While I agree that it will generally make a difference in performance, it will not help him much as a business student. As well the main benefits of SSD is more or less negated by the fact that it is a mac plus she's a student.
Old 08-27-2010 at 01:49 PM   #13
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recyclebin12 View Post
That "a lot" of use will also cause deterioration of the SSD, unless coupled with a HDD for large file transfers. While I agree that it will generally make a difference in performance, it will not help him much as a business student. As well the main benefits of SSD is more or less negated by the fact that it is a mac plus she's a student.
Um, not really. The whole POINT of SSD's is for longer lasting due to no moving parts.
Old 08-27-2010 at 02:15 PM   #14
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

on macs trim is not available and as the SSD becomes fuller it will slow down significantly. I dont recconmend it if your getting a mac. You should look at the Seagate Hybrid SSD drive, it consists of 500GB of normal hard drive storage and 4gb of flash for your most used programs and your boot registries.
Old 08-27-2010 at 02:39 PM   #15
recyclebin12

That is what I meant by deterioration, not longevity wise, but performance wise. To my knowledge, TRIM is only on win7, not sure about vista but prob not.