Computer Science (I) Complications georgeb.1990 Academics 7 07-29-2008 05:43 PM
Computer Science dondada Academics 2 07-07-2008 01:20 PM

Computer Science Co-op

Old 04-12-2010 at 11:39 PM   #1
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Computer Science Co-op
Hey I'm going into computer science next year and I'm deciding between McMaster and Waterloo. I want to here what people have to say about co-op and if there are any problems with getting co-op placements and such. So I guess my question is how many placements are available and if you compete with students from other universities.
Old 04-13-2010 at 10:14 AM   #2
Bumchoda

Liked: 3 Times

I have tried 2 summers now to get a summer coop placement in engineering with no luck. From what I hear, waterloo will practically find a job for you if you cannot by a certain deadline which is not the case for mcmaster. As far as I am concerned the coop people at mac just post positions on the website and leave it at that, and there aren't that many coop positions posted for the number of people in the program. Coop is definitely one of my biggest disappointments about mcmaster.
That is my personal opinion, and you may hear from different from others.
Old 04-13-2010 at 01:26 PM   #3
other.4.stuf

Liked: 1 Time

Personally I enjoyed the 16 month internship option available at McMaster. The fact that you are going there for 16 months means they are a bit easier to find since you are not competing with other schools that only do 4 month co-op's, the pay is better, you get a better perspective of working fulltime and you have a greater chance of returning to the company after you graduate (which is the best part). I will admit that our co-op office is not as helpful as Waterloo spoon feeding you jobs, but Mac prepares you for searching on your own as you will have to do after graduation.
Old 04-13-2010 at 07:42 PM   #4
julianface
Elite Member

Thanks for the input. I really like the fact that mac has the 12/16 month internship on top of the summer placements. How does the process of getting your job actually work? What's the point of co-op if you have to find a job yourself?

Also has anyone done co-op in comp. sci?
Old 04-13-2010 at 08:39 PM   #5
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianface View Post
What's the point of co-op if you have to find a job yourself?
Personally I didn't do co-op, but I'd argue that one of the best lessons you can get out of the co-op program is locating, applying for and obtaining positions on your own. No one's going to spoon feed you once you graduate. The co-op office is there to support you in your search, provide help with your resume, interview skills, etc and facilitate the relationship between the companies and the school - but it's up to you, your ambition and your skill set to get yourself the job.

Some other pluses... Most employers look positively on relevant work experience on graduation. Co-op positions are normally better paid than "summer student" positions as a portion of the wages are subsidized for the company (= more $$ for you!) Did I mention relevant work experience?
Old 04-13-2010 at 09:02 PM   #6
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

I once went to the Co-op office just to ask some questions (was thinking about transferring to Waterloo).

the guy told me they could get me a place in pretty much any company i said :s

but after reading here...i'm confused lol

...I didn't transfer though...not yet anyway
Old 04-13-2010 at 11:32 PM   #7
julianface
Elite Member

I have no questions about if I should do the co-op, rather its how detrimental would it be to go to mcmaster instead of waterloo in regards to the co-op program.

Everyone seems to have a boner for waterloo coop but couldn't I get the same jobs as they do or do companies also have raging clues for waterloo coop students?
Old 04-14-2010 at 01:16 AM   #8
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

waterloo has one of the largest and the best co-op program in the world! also of all things waterloo is known for computer science and computer engineering program . i would suggest, go for computer science with waterloo. co-op plays a big hand in future career of your. that said, i don't say that the program at mcmaster is bad. mcmaster's computer science program is pretty strong too and if you can manage 80+ in 1st and second year, you will more or less get a co-op. also remember that biggest help in getting co-op is through networking. plus MAC ROCKS!!!
Old 04-14-2010 at 01:52 PM   #9
athmi100

Liked: 3 Times

Personally I think your choice should be based on your expectations of university life. If you are more concerned about co-op then you should def chose waterloo. I find that Mac offers you a more balanced university life ...it is a very well recognized educational institution, the campus is beautiful and the environment is very social. I personally have no regrets choosing mac over waterloo for eng...
besides if you're lucky you might even land a co-op job 1st year
Old 04-14-2010 at 03:00 PM   #10
changturkey

Liked: 9 Times

Semi thread hijack but does anyone have any comments on the CS program at Mac? Like difficulty? Course work?
Old 04-14-2010 at 08:39 PM   #11
julianface
Elite Member

this guy has a lot to say about it.

http://compsci.ca/v3/viewtopic.php?t=22481

ya i don't want to get ruined at waterloo and robbed of all free time learning scheme on top of C++ i'll have to learn on my own time because of co-op.

Last edited by julianface : 04-14-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-15-2010 at 01:20 PM   #12
other.4.stuf

Liked: 1 Time

I agree with athmi100, you need to go to the place that best suits you. Talk with the people in the program, ask yourself do I want to hang out with people like that. That's one reason I chose Mac. I find Mac Software Eng a lot more easy going and "normal" to talk to than our counterparts at Waterloo (no offence to any waterloo people, just a personal opinion). If you want co-op you will find it anywhere you go, it is a question if you want to learn how to find it on your own.
Old 04-15-2010 at 04:31 PM   #13
julianface
Elite Member

ya ive been to both universities and mac was a lot nicer. I'd rather be in hamilton then waterloo, rather have a decent athletic facility, rather save like 6 grand ...but the strength of the program and co-op is really important. As long as comp. sci and co-op isn't bad then I think mac will be my choice.
Old 04-15-2010 at 07:07 PM   #14
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianface View Post
ya ive been to both universities and mac was a lot nicer. I'd rather be in hamilton then waterloo, rather have a decent athletic facility, rather save like 6 grand ...but the strength of the program and co-op is really important. As long as comp. sci and co-op isn't bad then I think mac will be my choice.
Had the very same decision. McMaster's campus won me over. Oh, and the software engineering program is actually rather good.
Old 04-15-2010 at 11:39 PM   #15
julianface
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaront View Post
Had the very same decision. McMaster's campus won me over. Oh, and the software engineering program is actually rather good.
I hope that is true for computer science. Does anyone have any complaints about the program? Every program has its flaws i'd like to here what people have to say about it.