Computer Science Sidd Academics 1 08-02-2010 01:04 PM
Computer Science (I) Complications georgeb.1990 Academics 7 07-29-2008 05:43 PM
Computer Science dondada Academics 2 07-07-2008 01:20 PM

Computer Science Co-op

Old 04-16-2010 at 12:01 AM   #16
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

i took a comp sci class this year, 1TA3. Its an intro course but the professor made it much more difficult then previous years. Dr Anand was not a great prof but he was willing to help and he even gave us the exact questions for the exam because the class average was very low. I have also spoken with Dr Nakamura and hes awesome, we also have a Center in the ITB building where individuals taking computer science courses can go for help. Im pretty sure computer science students have to take similar math courses to engineers. Dr Mclean teaches these most years and hes an amazing teacher. Mcmasters campus is ideal for those who dont like to walk alot.
Old 04-16-2010 at 06:05 AM   #17
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianface View Post
I hope that is true for computer science. Does anyone have any complaints about the program? Every program has its flaws i'd like to here what people have to say about it.
A lot of people in comp.sci get pissed off that they basically take machine programming II before machine programming I, lol. That's the extent of the complaints I've heard though.
Old 04-16-2010 at 10:56 AM   #18
MarkA

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
A lot of people in comp.sci get pissed off that they basically take machine programming II before machine programming I, lol. That's the extent of the complaints I've heard though.
We told the prof for 2mf3 (machine programming 1) about that, and it was a mix up on their part, so it's supposed to be fixed... but it still appears to be the same for next year. My best advice for that problem is to take CompSci 2mf3 during first year. It's second term, and the only prereq is the first term 1MD3; plus, it's really quite basic stuff, I easily got an 11 in first year.

The only other comment I would add is that a lot of the courses for compsci are shared with SoftEng/Tron, but that's okay. In second year, we take 2 third year SoftEng courses, and 2 second year SoftEng courses. Only 3 second year courses are unique to Compsci.
Old 04-16-2010 at 12:21 PM   #19
changturkey

Liked: 9 Times

How "bad" is Math 1ZZ04/ZZ05?
Old 04-16-2010 at 12:32 PM   #20
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by changturkey View Post
How "bad" is Math 1Z04/1Z05?
Not too bad. 1Z04 tends to be one of those courses that weeds out the people who shouldn't be in engineering, and 1ZZ5 is pretty easy.

Neither will exist anymore next year though, so I dunno what you should expect :p.
Old 04-16-2010 at 12:41 PM   #21
changturkey

What do you mean they won't exist? What are they changing? I ask, because I wasn't the best math student in H.S but I think I want to do CS, so I just don't want to go way over my head when going in to the program at Mac.
Old 04-16-2010 at 01:17 PM   #22
MarkA

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by changturkey View Post
What do you mean they won't exist? What are they changing? I ask, because I wasn't the best math student in H.S but I think I want to do CS, so I just don't want to go way over my head when going in to the program at Mac.
Apparently their changing back to three 3 units courses; 1ZA3, 1ZB3, and 1ZC3.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...nt/pg1881.html
Old 04-16-2010 at 05:35 PM   #23
changturkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
Apparently their changing back to three 3 units courses; 1ZA3, 1ZB3, and 1ZC3.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...nt/pg1881.html
So is this something good or?