MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gift Stores Thatguyadam General Discussion 0 12-15-2011 06:55 PM
Dollar Stores? Revolution1 General Discussion 12 02-12-2011 03:58 PM
Computer stores near Mac Porsche911 Computers & Tech 13 11-30-2010 06:36 PM
Mac Computer Science from College Computer Technology steve2345 Academics 3 10-17-2010 07:20 PM

Computer stores

Old 04-05-2012 at 11:11 AM   #1
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Computer stores
So, my Sony VAIO conveniently decided to die on me 2 days before my first exam with all my notes on it . I'm not sure if it's a battery problem, or the charger, but I'm leaning more towards the former possibility. I know MacMicro deals with Apple, but I was wondering if I could potentially take it there? Or UTS? Or any computer stores near Mac.

Any suggestions are welcome, please and thank you!
Old 04-05-2012 at 11:16 AM   #2
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

There's also Canada Computers at Main and Dundurn.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to Andrew A for this post.

Freija likes this.
Old 04-05-2012 at 11:17 AM   #3
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

have you tried taking out the battery and trying to just use the power supply to turn on the laptop

~*Sara*~ says thanks to MacPack for this post.
Old 04-05-2012 at 11:58 AM   #4
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

If it was a battery problem then it would still boot if plugged in, particularly if the battery were removed. It is more likely a problem with your charger (and the battery died when the charger failed), or the power supply (affecting both power methods) has been damaged.

-Try unplugging and removing the battery. Then press the power button for 30 slow seconds. In most computers this will discharge any excess charge sitting around the motherboard. Then try booting your computer again, this time without the battery.

-If that doesnt work look around the library for another person with a sony charger and try that.

-If it boots for a second but then goes black and dies it could be a corrupted windows reg file. If this is the case PM me and I will guide you how to use a linux live distro to get the data off your harddrive and get windows up and running again.

-If all fails go to canada computers first and not titles. From my multiple friends experience they know next to nothing and will just start to replace components (at your cost) until it get fixed, then after footing you a $500 bill will tell you to buy a mac.
If nothing works then it is probably a loose connection between your power supply and motherboard or between the power port and the power supply. Someone with real experience should be able to fix this at minimal cost without replacing components at all(if this is indeed the problem)

~*Sara*~ says thanks to qwerty91 for this post.

anonanon987, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 04-05-2012 at 12:25 PM   #5
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
If it was a battery problem then it would still boot if plugged in, particularly if the battery were removed. It is more likely a problem with your charger (and the battery died when the charger failed), or the power supply (affecting both power methods) has been damaged.

-Try unplugging and removing the battery. Then press the power button for 30 slow seconds. In most computers this will discharge any excess charge sitting around the motherboard. Then try booting your computer again, this time without the battery.

-If that doesnt work look around the library for another person with a sony charger and try that.

-If it boots for a second but then goes black and dies it could be a corrupted windows reg file. If this is the case PM me and I will guide you how to use a linux live distro to get the data off your harddrive and get windows up and running again.

-If all fails go to canada computers first and not titles. From my multiple friends experience they know next to nothing and will just start to replace components (at your cost) until it get fixed, then after footing you a $500 bill will tell you to buy a mac.
If nothing works then it is probably a loose connection between your power supply and motherboard or between the power port and the power supply. Someone with real experience should be able to fix this at minimal cost without replacing components at all(if this is indeed the problem)
Sara, take this person's advice. They covered most if not all possible issues you may be experiencing. I hope it pans out for you as soon as possible.

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 04-05-2012 at 12:55 PM   #6
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
This. In my experience their service reps know more (about fixing computers) than most of my comp eng classmates.
Old 04-05-2012 at 02:51 PM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Thanks guys <3! I'll definitely give all the suggestions a try and go from there. Here's hoping it actually works :/..

Thanks again!
Old 04-05-2012 at 07:42 PM   #8
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

reminds me of when my comp died last summer =s