MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mac Computer Science from College Computer Technology steve2345 Academics 3 10-17-2010 07:20 PM
Closest stores Olivia. First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 09-23-2010 09:42 PM
grocery stores? twitterbird General Discussion 48 08-12-2009 01:31 PM
Convience stores at Mac? kenvin100 General Discussion 7 09-06-2008 09:06 AM

Computer stores near Mac

Old 11-29-2010 at 10:16 PM   #1
Porsche911

Liked: 7 Times

Computer stores near Mac
Ok, so my computer (mid 2007 MacBook) picked a really great time to stop working properly on me. It now refuses to charge and is currently shut down with about half an hour's worth of battery life remaining. After doing some looking around, I am pretty sure that I either need a new battery or a new charger. Any idea if there is a place near Mac that would sell either of these?

Edit: I am aware of MacMicro and will check there ASAP, but I need a plan B

Last edited by Porsche911 : 11-29-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-29-2010 at 10:45 PM   #2
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

You can try Tri-star Computer, corner of Bond and King.
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&...157.27,,0,3.82

The computer shop in Westdale also shifted to that area but I haven't actually seen that one.

Porsche911 says thanks to Afzal for this post.

Porsche911 likes this.
Old 11-29-2010 at 11:01 PM   #3
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche911 View Post
Ok, so my computer (mid 2007 MacBook) picked a really great time to stop working properly on me. It now refuses to charge and is currently shut down with about half an hour's worth of battery life remaining. After doing some looking around, I am pretty sure that I either need a new battery or a new charger. Any idea if there is a place near Mac that would sell either of these?

Light Computer Centre, 361 Jackson St W (at Locke). Nothing but Apple there.

Porsche911 says thanks to reeves for this post.

Porsche911 likes this.
Old 11-30-2010 at 12:02 AM   #4
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

Quote:

MacMicro is Apple Authorized, so they'll have the parts and the know-how. And Light is good as well.

Porsche911 says thanks to aaront for this post.

Porsche911 likes this.
Old 11-30-2010 at 12:04 AM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

canada computers is at the fortinoes (not the one near campus) idk if they support mac.

btw macs suck

Afzal, jajas like this.
Old 11-30-2010 at 12:09 AM   #6
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
canada computers is at the fortinoes (not the one near campus) idk if they support mac.
No to Canada Computers, they're not Apple Authorized.

Quote:
btw macs suck
No use beating a dead horse there, troll. Everyone has their own opinions on computers, it's best just to accept that and move on.

Porsche911 says thanks to aaront for this post.

Porsche911 likes this.
Old 11-30-2010 at 12:12 AM   #7
Jessicaaaa

Liked: 42 Times

Hey,
My laptop did the same thing to me at the end of last semester. I brought it in to an actual Mac store and for 280 dollars ( +tax) they send it to the apple warehouse and they will fix everything and anything that is wrong with it for that price. So you might want to check that out as an option if it turns out you need more than just a new battery.

Porsche911 says thanks to Jessicaaaa for this post.

Porsche911 likes this.
Old 11-30-2010 at 07:37 AM   #8
Porsche911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
You can try Tri-star Computer, corner of Bond and King.
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&...157.27,,0,3.82

The computer shop in Westdale also shifted to that area but I haven't actually seen that one.
Yup, I go by that one all the time on the way to Metro, I just wasn't sure if it was any good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves
Light Computer Centre, 361 Jackson St W (at Locke). Nothing but Apple there.
Awesome! That's exactly what I wanted to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku
btw macs suck
Honestly, don't even get me started on this one. Trolling in itself is absolutely pathetic, trolling on a forum like this one that consists of a relatively small community is even worse. Get a life, buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicaaaa
Hey,
My laptop did the same thing to me at the end of last semester. I brought it in to an actual Mac store and for 280 dollars ( +tax) they send it to the apple warehouse and they will fix everything and anything that is wrong with it for that price. So you might want to check that out as an option if it turns out you need more than just a new battery.
I really hope this isn't the case. I googled the issues I was experiencing and the consensus on the forums that I checked was that replacing either the MagSage or the battery solved the problem. I really can't afford to be without a computer during exams.
Old 11-30-2010 at 08:51 AM   #9
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
I really hope this isn't the case. I googled the issues I was experiencing and the consensus on the forums that I checked was that replacing either the MagSage or the battery solved the problem. I really can't afford to be without a computer during exams.
Bring it to Light. I'm one of the repair techs there, and can make sure it's done quick. Just say you were referred there by me, and we'll make sure you have it back for exams.

As for the problem itself, there's a 2 minute diagnostic that will tell us if it's the battery, power adapter, or magsafe board, and can go from there.

Porsche911 says thanks to reeves for this post.

Porsche911 likes this.
Old 11-30-2010 at 09:56 AM   #10
Porsche911

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Bring it to Light. I'm one of the repair techs there, and can make sure it's done quick. Just say you were referred there by me, and we'll make sure you have it back for exams.

As for the problem itself, there's a 2 minute diagnostic that will tell us if it's the battery, power adapter, or magsafe board, and can go from there.
Thanks a lot! Unfortunately (fortunately?), I just got back from MacMicro and they ran the diagnostic there. As it turns out, my MagSafe adapter was shot and my battery, though still not dead yet, was on its way under as well.

Up until yesterday though, I didn't even know there was an Apple only store in Hamilton. So, I might pop in one of these days anyway.

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2010 at 12:33 PM   #11
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

its not a troll its a fact. macs are terrible for cost per performance.

Kerbs likes this.
Old 11-30-2010 at 05:41 PM   #12
Porsche911

Quote:
its not a troll its a fact. macs are terrible for cost per performance.
From wikipedia:

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

I just wanted to get my computer issue resolved. Saying that Macs suck adds nothing to this thread. You are a troll.

Last edited by Porsche911 : 11-30-2010 at 05:47 PM.

Entropy likes this.
Old 11-30-2010 at 06:29 PM   #13
Jessicaaaa

Liked: 42 Times

By the way, when i sent away my laptop to the warehouse they said it would be only one week.
They sent it in on a friday and i had it back that sunday by noon. It was very fast
Old 11-30-2010 at 06:36 PM   #14
Porsche911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicaaaa View Post
By the way, when i sent away my laptop to the warehouse they said it would be only one week.
They sent it in on a friday and i had it back that sunday by noon. It was very fast
Yeah Apple's actually really good for shipping stuff quickly. But I actually took it to MacMicro. They ran a little diagnostic and determined that my charger was shot and that was all that was wrong, so I just bought a new one.