MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are any grocery stores open tomorrow? Kathy2 General Discussion 4 04-04-2010 04:16 AM
Fighting for the Closest Parking Spot praetorian Automotive & Transportation 6 03-30-2010 06:46 PM
grocery stores? twitterbird General Discussion 48 08-12-2009 01:31 PM
Record/music stores in Hamilton? mazza General Discussion 9 10-11-2008 02:01 AM
Convience stores at Mac? kenvin100 General Discussion 7 09-06-2008 09:06 AM

Closest stores

Old 09-23-2010 at 04:47 PM   #1
Olivia.

Liked: 9 Times

Closest stores
A few friends and I have come across a list of stores that may be essential to our success as first years :
1. LCBO.
2. Walmart.
3. Some sort of shopping centre.
4. Dollar store.
Anyone know of the closest ones ? Thanks in advance!
Old 09-23-2010 at 04:50 PM   #2
Willmountain
Master and Commander

Liked: 69 Times

LCBO and Dollar Store at University Plaza, just go west on Main St. and keep right the whole way until University Plaza. It's about a 5 minute bus ride at most along Main.

Walmart? Your guess is as good as mine... I heard of one somewhere downtown or something.

As for a shopping centre, you could go to Jackson Square... But that place is horrific. If you want to go on a trek, take a trip to Limeridge. I've only been once, and it was beeotch of a bus ride up the mountain, around 30 minutes. Not sure of the routes, but you have to transfer.

Olivia. says thanks to Willmountain for this post.
Old 09-23-2010 at 04:51 PM   #3
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivia. View Post
A few friends and I have come across a list of stores that may be essential to our success as first years :
1. LCBO.
2. Walmart.
4. Dollar store.
1) University Plaza.
Take the 52/5e/5b going west. I don't remember the stop name, but pull the dinger after you pass the intersection where the Crabby Joes/Baskin Robbins is located.

2) Upper James. Not close.
Take any bus going east and get off at Main and Hughson. Then take the 27 and get off at Upper James and Delta.

3) Jackson Square.
Take any bus going east, get off at main and mcnab or main and hughson and head north. It's at King and James.

A better mall is Limeridge.
Take any bus goin east, get off at main and mcnab or main and hughson and head north. Hop on the 25 or the 26, it will take you straight to the Limeridge Terminal. The 25 is about 10 minutes faster.

4) University Plaza. See above.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Olivia. says thanks to lawleypop for this post.
Old 09-23-2010 at 04:53 PM   #4
drhorrible

Liked: 98 Times

There's a dollar store at Main and Cline (near Mr. Sub). I haven't been there so I don't know about their selection.

Olivia. says thanks to drhorrible for this post.
Old 09-23-2010 at 05:11 PM   #5
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

There's also an LCBO in Jackson Square, although if you aren't headed that way already University Plaza is closer/in a better location.

Olivia. says thanks to Marlowe for this post.
Old 09-23-2010 at 05:17 PM   #6
Phil

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
There's also an LCBO in Jackson Square, although if you aren't headed that way already University Plaza is closer/in a better location.
slash you are less likely to be beaten by the homeless for your liquor

Marlowe, MeganB214, Olivia. like this.
Old 09-23-2010 at 06:06 PM   #7
bieneres

Liked: 2 Times

There's a walmart and some stores at eastgate mall too.. i've actually never been there so i'm not sure if it's closer than the upper james one, but i'm pretty sure it would be an easier bus ride you just stay on the 1A eastbound instead of transfering
Old 09-23-2010 at 06:16 PM   #8
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bieneres View Post
There's a walmart and some stores at eastgate mall too.. i've actually never been there so i'm not sure if it's closer than the upper james one, but i'm pretty sure it would be an easier bus ride you just stay on the 1A eastbound instead of transfering
Impossibly far and way more sketchy than Upper James.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 09-23-2010 at 06:18 PM   #9
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bieneres View Post
Yeah if you go during the day time, Take the 10 B-Line from the McMaster Hospital front entrance. It doesn't take more then 30 minutes direct to EastGate Mall(48-50 Minutes if you take the 1A King) . EastGate Mall is actually also better than Jackson Square in terms of choices, but doesn't have that many top end department stores like Limeridge does.

Also Cheri, EastGate during the day is much less sketchier than the people hanging outside Jackson(I work at that intersection). Though there has been a recent spike in Police Presence in Gore Park so maybe that helps.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 09-23-2010 at 06:54 PM   #10
myster

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivia. View Post
1. LCBO.
2. Walmart.
4. Dollar store.
Though essential to some, I think #1 may also be considered detrimental to first years' success.

Rakim, Olivia. like this.
Old 09-23-2010 at 07:49 PM   #11
Phil

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Impossibly far and way more sketchy than Upper James.
I hardly call Eastgate less sketchy than Upper James Walmart haha. Isn't the B-line from mac only like a 20 min ride as well?
Old 09-23-2010 at 09:21 PM   #12
Olivia.

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by myster View Post
Though essential to some, I think #1 may also be considered detrimental to first years' success.
I wasn't trying to number them by importance
It just so happened to be the first thing on the list..I mean, especially considering it being homecoming this weekend and all lol
Old 09-23-2010 at 09:31 PM   #13
JBeans

Liked: 14 Times

Walmart on Upper James is no longer the one in that mall. The super centre is now open in the same plaza. Was just there tonight to discover the new one open
Old 09-23-2010 at 09:42 PM   #14
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

University plaza's the best bet, it's got loads of things. The B-Line/10 bus takes you directly from McMaster and deposits you neatly amongst the shops, so no hassle at all. Then you just get back on and...go wherever.