MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster e-mail account Mair Academics 2 05-29-2011 07:37 PM
How to cancel redirecting MUSS e-mail to other e-mail account? raine Computers & Tech 2 11-13-2010 10:23 AM
can't log on to MUSS e-mail account.. sj316 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-06-2008 05:22 PM
Setting up McMaster e-mail with entourage/outlook MightyMan General Discussion 2 09-05-2008 07:34 AM

Configuring New G-mail McMaster Account w/Outlook 2010

Old 02-20-2012 at 11:56 AM   #1
lenzm2

Liked: 1 Time

Configuring New G-mail McMaster Account w/Outlook 2010
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to know if anyone has any tips on how to configure the new McMaster University Mail with Outlook 2010.

I have tried following: support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py? hl=en&ctx=mail&answer =75726

But it doesn't seem to work for me. I think where I'm getting messed up from is entering in the log-in information.

I have tried the following:
[email protected] mcmaster.ca / [email protected] studentmail.os.mcmast er.ca

If someone has figured out how to do this... could you give me a step by step so that I can do it? Would be greatly appreciated. I like having Outlook hanging out in the background so if any of my e-mails receive mail it all pops up.

Please help!
Old 02-20-2012 at 12:15 PM   #2
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

for now there is no mobile/tablet/outlook/thunderbird support yet. I would just forward it to a real email until this feature is supported. For reasons and explanations etc look at the "migration begins" thread
Old 02-20-2012 at 01:20 PM   #3
DMe3

Liked: 26 Times

how would I go about forwarding my mac email to hotmail now? :/ Do I have to do it through gmail?
Old 02-20-2012 at 01:30 PM   #4
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMe3 View Post
how would I go about forwarding my mac email to hotmail now? :/ Do I have to do it through gmail?
go to studentmail.mcmaster. ca and log in
once loaded into the gmail interface go to the gear in the top right (settings), then select settings.
Then click on "forwarding and POP/IMAP" along the top part of settings.
"add a forwarding address" enter
"Forward a copy of incoming mail to ..........." make sure not disabled.

Dont bother playing with the IMAP and POP settings. I already tried.

DMe3, lenzm2 all say thanks to qwerty91 for this post.

DMe3 likes this.
Old 02-20-2012 at 02:46 PM   #5
lenzm2

Liked: 1 Time

Bah okay thanks.
Old 02-23-2012 at 03:15 PM   #6
taylorsilva

Liked: 0 Times

am i reading this right? the new email system doesn't support pop or imap???
Old 02-23-2012 at 03:23 PM   #7
--HP--

Liked: 53 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorsilva View Post
am i reading this right? the new email system doesn't support pop or imap???
Yes, that is correct.
Old 02-23-2012 at 04:31 PM   #8
taylorsilva

Liked: 0 Times

classy mac, one step forward and then one step back >___>
Old 02-23-2012 at 05:07 PM   #9
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorsilva View Post
classy mac, one step forward and then one step back >___>
1. Forward to alternative email
2. Use outlook as usual

Summary: Two steps forward (drastically increased mail capacity for those who don't use alternative emails, and a generally more organized/pretty inbox)
Old 02-23-2012 at 05:21 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I'm also assuming that you can't send an email from your McMaster account through your personal account as of yet either right?
Old 02-23-2012 at 08:45 PM   #11
Jayson193

Liked: 2 Times

I knew Mcmaster would do something stupid like this as per usual.
My mistake for not opting out of the switchover...

Any news on when this basic functionality would become available? I'm using Google apps for small businesses on my personal domain and it has IMAP and POP3 enabled by default...
Old 02-23-2012 at 11:43 PM   #12
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I'm also assuming that you can't send an email from your McMaster account through your personal account as of yet either right?
You actually can configure your personal Gmail to send mail as your McMaster account
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 02-24-2012 at 12:37 AM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by djRAIN View Post
You actually can configure your personal Gmail to send mail as your McMaster account
I can't seem to figure out how to set it up anymore... What's the SMTP server and port #?
Old 02-24-2012 at 01:48 AM   #14
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I can't seem to figure out how to set it up anymore... What's the SMTP server and port #?
You can change it so that the receiver perceives that you have sent it from your mcmaster email. It would look something like this in the header:

It looks kind of fishy so I don't quite want to use it. I'm just going to stick to using the web client to send email for now.

I'm pretty sure nobody knows what the SMTP servers are, as it probably same reason why IMAP/POP doesn't work either. I contacted UTS asking for the server address but they never replied.
Old 02-24-2012 at 01:52 AM   #15
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by particle View Post
You can change it so that the receiver perceives that you have sent it from your mcmaster email. It would look something like this in the header:

It looks kind of fishy so I don't quite want to use it. I'm just going to stick to using the web client to send email for now.

I'm pretty sure nobody knows what the SMTP servers are, as it probably same reason why IMAP/POP doesn't work either. I contacted UTS asking for the server address but they never replied.
Yeah, I know that but I don't use it because it doesn't look as professional as sending it directly from my school email.

I tried studentmail.mcmaster. ca as the server address but it doesn't seem to be right.