MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
talking in lecture - what do you say? jackiemac Academics 30 09-21-2010 06:46 PM
Peter George's Last Lecture Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-30-2010 10:45 PM
Peter George's Last Lecture AdamKuhn MacInsiders Announcements 6 03-03-2010 09:17 AM
Last lecture applause pocketlint59 Academics 9 01-07-2009 06:24 PM
How to Stay Awake in Lecture ferreinm Academics 9 09-16-2008 06:20 PM

Conflict between rehearsal and lecture

Old 06-10-2010 at 12:39 AM   #1
irule333

Liked: 2 Times

Conflict between rehearsal and lecture
Soo im in 2nd year-to-be elec+biomed engineering and im thinking of taking music 1G03 (chamber orchestra) but the monday 6:00 rehearsal (i do not know why the rehearsals arent scheduled to start at :30 like classes) conflicts with Comp Eng 2DI4(logic design) and ELEC ENG 2CJ4 (circuits and systems) both running 5:30-6:30

1. What are the odds of getting the lecture times changed? Also how would i go about asking?
2. if the class wont change (id guess most likely) than how important is attending those lectures? (ie how detrimental is it to skip one class a week)
3. (somewhat unrelated) how do you sign up for the auditions?
4. Does taking the course increase tuition? (vs as a club activity)...this may not matter as i believe that theres an upper limit to the number of courses that the school charges for...correct me if im wrong
Old 06-10-2010 at 01:37 AM   #2
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by irule333 View Post
Soo im in 2nd year-to-be elec+biomed engineering and im thinking of taking music 1G03 (chamber orchestra) but the monday 6:00 rehearsal (i do not know why the rehearsals arent scheduled to start at :30 like classes) conflicts with Comp Eng 2DI4(logic design) and ELEC ENG 2CJ4 (circuits and systems) both running 5:30-6:30

1. What are the odds of getting the lecture times changed? Also how would i go about asking?
2. if the class wont change (id guess most likely) than how important is attending those lectures? (ie how detrimental is it to skip one class a week)
3. (somewhat unrelated) how do you sign up for the auditions?
4. Does taking the course increase tuition? (vs as a club activity)...this may not matter as i believe that theres an upper limit to the number of courses that the school charges for...correct me if im wrong
Honestly, both lectures were entirely worthless. I skipped every CJ4 lecture after the first week and rolled a 10 in the course. As for DI4, the lectures felt pretty worthless overall-- read lecture notes, do problems + sample tests. If you're going to skip all of one class, though, then I'd recommend CJ4. Shirani's examples tended to explain things fairly well, as opposed to what Jun used for the entire term (notes ripped off somebody else, with scribbles, lines and God knows what everywhere).

Old 06-10-2010 at 01:45 AM   #3
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Zero...
Old 06-10-2010 at 12:58 PM   #4
irule333

Quote:
Honestly, both lectures were entirely worthless. I skipped every CJ4 lecture after the first week and rolled a 10 in the course. As for DI4, the lectures felt pretty worthless overall-- read lecture notes, do problems + sample tests. If you're going to skip all of one class, though, then I'd recommend CJ4. Shirani's examples tended to explain things fairly well, as opposed to what Jun used for the entire term (notes ripped off somebody else, with scribbles, lines and God knows what everywhere).
lol im not intending on skipping EVERY lecture...though it would seem that it may come down to that...

Its good to know that im not gonna be missing out on much

Is worthless classes a general trend in second year?
Old 06-10-2010 at 12:59 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
lol im not intending on skipping EVERY lecture...though it would seem that it may come down to that...

Depends on how you learn. You can theoretically not go to any classes and still get 12 if your learning style is from reading books and doing practice problems. Except if there are attendance marks or something like that.
Old 06-10-2010 at 01:04 PM   #6
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:

It all depends on your learning style, I guess. I learn better by doing examples and teaching myself, which is what I did for CJ4, Z03 and ZZ3. I would say, though, that the majority of classes are pretty much not worth going to.

SH4 was Doyle over-complicating basic concepts by throwing mountains of worthless code at you; CJ4 was the fact that it's Jun Chen's first attempt and he didn't really have lecture notes (plus the solutions manual is top-notch); Z03/ZZ3 were because the lecture notes were literal rip from the text with little explanation over top it; EI5 was because the lecture notes were the ones given to the prof by the textbook publisher (which were basically straight-up rip) with very little explanation given to it.

Tutorials for every class are a must, though. Especially CJ4 and DI4.

Old 06-10-2010 at 01:42 PM   #7
irule333

Quote:
Z03/ZZ3 were because the lecture notes were literal rip from the text with little explanation over top it;
damn im taking z03 rite now and im dropping zz3 and taking it during the year...i was hoping that the lectures wud get better lol apparently they do not...tho im still gonna take it during the year