MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about 12th grade Results iTzViViDX First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 07-16-2014 02:52 AM
I missed the may 12th open house... Soap First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-14-2012 10:05 AM
[email protected] is coming! May 12th Chad MacInsiders Announcements 19 05-08-2012 10:15 AM

Confused 12th Grader

Old 06-27-2017 at 08:33 PM   #1
zayslay

Liked: 0 Times

Confused 12th Grader
I'm going to be in the Social Sciences program in the fall, and I have some questions.

First of all, I plan to major in Social Psychology, which on the website, claims that I need the SOCPSY 1Z03 course. When enrolling for courses today, I couldn't find it? How do I enrol in this course?

Secondly, when I enrol in a course, it sets me up for tutorial days and lecture days. Is that normal?

I'll probably be back with more questions, since I don't know anyone who went to university, let alone McMaster. Thanks in advance

Edit: Yeah, I have more questions.
To complete Level 1 social sciences, I need 30 credits. 18 are required and 12 are electives. Is Level 1 completed in one semester? Do I have to enrol in 10 separate classes with 3 credits each? Or is it split into two semesters?

Last edited by zayslay : 06-27-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-27-2017 at 09:26 PM   #2
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

I was able to find SOCPSY 1Z03 under Winter 2018. Maybe you were searching under the Fall term?

It is normal to be automatically enrolled in lectures in addition to tutorials (that is, if your course has a tutorial). Lectures are where you learn your core material. Tutorials are where you may learn extra material or do some group activities or have some discussions led by teaching assistants.

You need 30 units for level 1. Basically anyone who is non-engineering deals with 3 unit courses as one semester courses and 6 unit courses as full-year courses (for example French 1A06 is a year-long course). So yes you will be enrolling in a total of 10 courses (or fewer if you take a course that is worth 6 units) this year for a total of 30 units. Therefore you will be taking 5 courses per semester.

Also, Level I means your first year, as in you are a first year student. You will not be out of level I until next September.

zayslay says thanks to Imperious for this post.