MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which residences has the "Women & Leadership" and "All-Female Community" themes? Unregistered First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 05-21-2012 11:15 PM
Unusual combination...anyone here take both "Psych 2C03" and "Math 1LT3" dumbconsumer Academics 2 06-15-2011 08:09 AM

Confusion about "Business 1" (undergrad commerce)

Old 03-07-2016 at 06:07 PM   #1
Business25

Liked: 0 Times

Confusion about "Business 1" (undergrad commerce)
Hey guys,

I applied to "Business 1" (undergrad commerce) to hopefully start this September (2016). I recently received a conditional offer and there were a few things I'm confused about. From what I've heard (from many different people), the average required to get into this program is around an 85%-ish (usually in the range 84-86%). However, my conditional offer said that I only need to maintain at least an 80 average (taking into account my top 6 Grade 12 U/M courses) in order to be fully accepted. So, I'm very confused about that.

My conditional offer was given to me based on the following results that I received (after finishing first semester):

Grade 12 Economics: 88
Grade 12 English:85
Advanced Functions:84
Data Management: 86

My average came out to be 85.75%, and I was given my conditional offer based on these 4 results that I have received so far. This semester I have 2 more Grade 12 courses (to complete 6 in total) which would be Grade 12 Accounting and Calculus/Vectors. The condition was that I only need to get at least an 80 average taking into account all 6 of my Grade 12 U/M courses. So, that means, since I already have an 85.75% (taking into account the 4 courses I have taken so far), I can get a 75% in both of my courses this semester, which will bring my average from 85.75% to approximately 82%. I will be accepted even in that case? I mean, in the worst possible scenario, even if I get a 70% in both Grade 12 Accounting and Calculus/Vectors, I'll still manage to meet the condition with an average of 80.5%.

That's what I'm confused about- I heard from everyone that an average of 84-86% (even on the website I believe it says something like this under admission requirements for this course) is required to be accepted, and my condition says that I only need to maintain at least an 80 average.

If someone can explain this, that'd be great.

Thank you.
Old 03-07-2016 at 07:37 PM   #2
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

The average to be accepted is always higher than the average that you need to maintain. The first average is the "cutoff" average, where you must have this average or greater in order to even receive an offer. The second average is your June average (after you've received an offer) and is always lower than the cut-off average and this average is supposed to let your marks drop a bit but not too much. So by the end of June, your top 6 (including required) courses must reach an average of 80%+ in order to keep your offer otherwise it gets taken away.
Old 03-07-2016 at 07:54 PM   #3
justicebeaver

Liked: 9 Times

simply, keep your marks where they are and no need to worry
Old 03-07-2016 at 08:30 PM   #4
Business25

So, they'll accept me even if I get an 80 percent average overall on the dot? Since it says I need at least an 80.
Old 03-07-2016 at 08:51 PM   #5
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

Yes they'll still accept you if your top 6 average by June is 80 on the dot though I would highly recommend you stay above that.
Old 03-07-2016 at 09:10 PM   #6
Business25

After I found this out, I feel like really just slacking off because I know I can manage an average of 80 on the dot with almost no effort at all, so I'm not really motivated to work hard anymore this semester.
Old 03-07-2016 at 09:56 PM   #7
justicebeaver

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Business25 View Post
After I found this out, I feel like really just slacking off because I know I can manage an average of 80 on the dot with almost no effort at all, so I'm not really motivated to work hard anymore this semester.
Well I don't know about business, but most uni programs that's asking for trouble, enjoy it while you can in highschool.. exams make up the large portion of your mark
Old 03-08-2016 at 10:33 PM   #8
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Business25 View Post
Well, there are (at least) three issue with that: (1) you do actually need to know the material, (2) grades count for scholarships and whatnot, and (3) you should develop internal motivation to succeed rather than require external motivation/reinforcement, otherwise you're going to struggle at becoming more independent in university.

But whatever, it's your life to do with what you want.