MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New XBox Live layout - how to connect to computer Kathy2 Computers & Tech 2 12-12-2011 03:59 PM
how to connect to xbox live? B.Amode Gaming 1 10-07-2011 04:07 AM
Apple Laptops and Mac Connect suhaybh General Discussion 7 09-16-2010 10:15 AM

Connect 2 Ethernet Cables together?

Old 03-12-2012 at 06:15 PM   #1
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

Connect 2 Ethernet Cables together?
I have ethernet cables roughed-in the walls of my house. However, they terminate in the basement without RJ45 connectors on them (i.e. its only the wires and insulation). I want to place my router in the basement, and plug these cables into the router.

I want to avoid having to purchase RJ45 connectors and a crimper tool for this one time use. Can I take a store-bought ethernet cable with the RJ45 connectors on them, cut that cable, and re-attached it to the ones in my house?

I know you can do this with normal electrical wires, but I heard that you shouldn't unwind the twisted pairs of an ethernet cable. Can anyone offer me some insight?

Thanks.
Old 03-12-2012 at 07:05 PM   #2
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

I wouldn't think that would work, since the second one of the wires comes loose you'll lose your connection. There may even be (more than likely) some loss of quality as well.

Unlikely, but also you have to consider that if the cables in your wall were not store bought, and they were wired differently when being connected and crimped, you have to be sure that your two wires are actually the same wire.
^Does that make sense?
Old 03-12-2012 at 07:09 PM   #3
Cadillax

Liked: 0 Times

You sure can, I wired my whole house and used this method. Just match your solids with your solids, and your stripes with your stripes. I'd recommend using a soldering iron if possible to ensure that your wires don't come undone. You shouldn't see any loss in quality of your connection either. Also, make sure to insulate each individual wire.. but you probably already knew that. Good luck!

Allan says thanks to Cadillax for this post.
Old 03-12-2012 at 07:23 PM   #4
Allan
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillax View Post
You sure can, I wired my whole house and used this method. Just match your solids with your solids, and your stripes with your stripes. I'd recommend using a soldering iron if possible to ensure that your wires don't come undone. You shouldn't see any loss in quality of your connection either. Also, make sure to insulate each individual wire.. but you probably already knew that. Good luck!
I'm assuming regular electrical tape should be sufficient?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSM View Post
I wouldn't think that would work, since the second one of the wires comes loose you'll lose your connection. There may even be (more than likely) some loss of quality as well.

Unlikely, but also you have to consider that if the cables in your wall were not store bought, and they were wired differently when being connected and crimped, you have to be sure that your two wires are actually the same wire.
^Does that make sense?
They are both Cat5 and have the same color wires? Does that make them the same cable?
Old 03-12-2012 at 07:31 PM   #5
Cadillax

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
I'm assuming regular electrical tape should be sufficient?
You betcha!

Quote:
They are both Cat5 and have the same color wires? Does that make them the same cable?
Most likely, yes. I wouldn't worry too much even if they weren't. Make sure to twist your wires tightly together.
Old 03-12-2012 at 07:35 PM   #6
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

Quote:
Like I said, it should be fine, but I would just check that when you connect it wires aren't crossed (ie make sure your white and green stripe wire isn't actually that cable's brown cable)

Like say your store bought cable has the red wire at the top of the RJ45 connector, but on the cable that has wires loose has a brown wire at the top of it's RJ45 connector, make sure to connect the store cables red wire to the brown connector of the other cable. Sorry if its not clear, been working all day

ediit: but like Cadillax said, it shouldn't be a problem unless the cables in your wall weren't store bought

Cadillax says thanks to GCSM for this post.
Old 03-12-2012 at 08:00 PM   #7
Allan
Elite Member

Thanks guys. I will try it out.

The colors of the 2 cables are the same (Orange, Blue, Green, Brown).
Old 03-12-2012 at 08:42 PM   #8
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

This will work, but keep in mind - if you're using gigabit ethernet, you may experience slow downs due to the interference unwinding the pairs and leaving them exposed with cause.

I would just buy the plates if I were you because soldering them is going to look really ghetto.

Snowman likes this.
Old 03-12-2012 at 08:56 PM   #9
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
I have ethernet cables roughed-in the walls of my house. However, they terminate in the basement without RJ45 connectors on them (i.e. its only the wires and insulation). I want to place my router in the basement, and plug these cables into the router.
I can't even visualize what this looks like.. it looks just like somebody went *snip* to the cable?

Quote:
I want to avoid having to purchase RJ45 connectors and a crimper tool for this one time use.
What kind of engineer are you?!

Quote:
Can I take a store-bought ethernet cable with the RJ45 connectors on them, cut that cable, and re-attached it to the ones in my house?
Well if you don't even have a crimper, are you sure you're able to connect them? They're tiny..

Quote:
I know you can do this with normal electrical wires, but I heard that you shouldn't unwind the twisted pairs of an ethernet cable. Can anyone offer me some insight?
I don't think its a great idea. Imagine this: you attempt to do what you plan, but it turns out sub-par... then you've wasted your time, and will have potential connection issues and may not be able to realize its the wiring's fault. Either way, make sure you look up how to do ethernet correctly, I believe its best to twist and tape, if you're using a generic soldering iron with a short exposed cable you might melt some of the plastic deeper in which will obstruct conductivity.

What if you need to get a new ethernet cable? Then you have to do all this crap again..

Keep in mind, I've never cut open cat/rj45 cables, so take this as you will. I'd just put a connector on if you can and use an adaptor and new cable, or replace the existing one in the wall (if possible).

pavlov likes this.
Old 03-12-2012 at 10:04 PM   #10
Allan
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I can't even visualize what this looks like.. it looks just like somebody went *snip* to the cable?
Yes, that is what the home builder supplied. It is like when you ask the home builder to rough-in your security system wires, or a gas line for the stove. They just give you the wires, or the pipe, but somebody still has to come in and perform the final connection.

I'm really not worried about it not working, or having to try a few times. There's virtually no risk, it's not like an electrical line. This method costs me nothing, and probably the same amount of time to crimp the lines. And I don't need to invest into a crimper that I don't need.

I wouldn't even know how to replace the cables in the existing dry wall, I have no way of pulling them out/in safely...and would obviously cost me even more to buy new cables for the entire house.
Old 03-12-2012 at 10:06 PM   #11
Allan
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
This will work, but keep in mind - if you're using gigabit ethernet, you may experience slow downs due to the interference unwinding the pairs and leaving them exposed with cause.

I would just buy the plates if I were you because soldering them is going to look really ghetto.
What does gigabit ethernet mean? I'm using Rogers cable internet service, will I really see any slowdowns?

I'm not worried about it looking ghetto, since its in the basement.
Old 03-12-2012 at 10:23 PM   #12
Rubicon

Liked: 9 Times

Common! dont use electricians tape, heatshrink it all! if you pair em back up, and reshield the whole thing shouldnt be too much interference. Gigabit is a measure of speed