Starcraft Bieber!? mattatmac Gaming 4 11-27-2010 08:29 PM
Starcraft 2 partner Yakattack Gaming 5 10-16-2010 09:19 PM

Considering Getting Starcraft II

Old 09-08-2011 at 07:42 PM   #1
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Liked: 118 Times

Considering Getting Starcraft II
I have never played SC1 or SC2, but I have played a LOT of RTSs in my life time, and trust me when I say A LOT... All sorts, too - City building, base building, etc. I've played Warcraft, I've played AoE, Rise of Nations, Empire Earth, and even a lot of older ones like Knights & Merchants.

Question is, what is Starcraft 2 really like? I keep getting a mixed of feelings and emotions about it, but it's mostly because I don't really know what the game really is like. Even in reviews and gameplays, they never really show the game to its full potential.

So this is where you come in: Persuade me to buy Starcraft 2. Why is it really good?

TL;DR WHY IS STARCRAFT 2 GOOD AND WHY SHOULD I BUY IT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelaisAer
Well, just to clarify, I am NOT a pro gamer, though I am not a casual gamer, either. I am somewhere in between, though needless to say, I don't typically compete against other people. I tend to take my time. And yes, I still am pretty damn good.

Last edited by AdelaisAer : 09-08-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-08-2011 at 07:47 PM   #2
Tom Yang

Liked: 1 Time

I've played a couple RTS in the past. But Starcraft II will forever be your main RTS. It's very fun to play, its pretty balanced and a lot of different things can happen in your games, including funny and exciting moments. Check out some of the videos from these Youtubers ( http://www.youtube.com/user/LifesAGlitchTV ) and you'll probably enjoy it a lot.

Oh and I think theres a free version you can download where you can play as the Terran race unlimited on multiplayer

AdelaisAer says thanks to Tom Yang for this post.

AdelaisAer likes this.
Old 09-08-2011 at 07:49 PM   #3
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Yeah just buy it. It's pretty dam good
Old 09-08-2011 at 07:51 PM   #4
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

I just might. It's pretty damn tempting.
Old 09-08-2011 at 07:54 PM   #5
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Amazing game! There's a staggeringly large community behind the game, with TONS of pro tournaments and players, which also serves as a huge learning tool for new players.

StarCraft is the de facto RTS. This is simply fact.

Resources:
1. www.reddit.com/r/starcraft
2. www.teamliquid.net <--- This is the largest foriegn SC1/SC2 community (by foreign I mean non-Korean)
3. www.gomtv.net <--- The pro league in Korea. 1st video for each series is free to watch!

TersigniTime says thanks to Freak705 for this post.

TersigniTime likes this.
Old 09-08-2011 at 07:56 PM   #6
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Well, just to clarify, I am NOT a pro gamer, though I am not a casual gamer, either. I am somewhere in between, though needless to say, I don't typically compete against other people. I tend to take my time. And yes, I still am pretty damn good.
Old 09-08-2011 at 07:59 PM   #7
A_L3

Liked: 4 Times

If you like RTS, get SC2. Its well balanced, fun to play, and has tons of depth.
What I like most is that you can pretty much never master it. There is always someone better than you, and always new strategies to try.

And, as mentioned above, has a really good community behind it.

AdelaisAer says thanks to A_L3 for this post.

AdelaisAer likes this.
Old 09-08-2011 at 07:59 PM   #8
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

I have it and I play it every once in a while with friends. It's a pretty great RTS game because even people who don't like that genre can get hooked.

I'm not the most diehard player, nor am I that good for that matter, but it's a fun game to have and a lot of people play it so I think it'd be a good buy.
Old 09-08-2011 at 08:03 PM   #9
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

As long as it's nothing like that HORRIBLE game Command & Conquer 4, which officially ruined the entire franchise.
Old 09-08-2011 at 08:04 PM   #10
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelaisAer View Post
I didn't quite mean for you to compete in.. though those exist also (Mac has a SC2 team as well)

But just WATCHING the pro games is very, very entertaining. I'm at the point where I easily watch more games than I play. The games are generally commentated, and most times the commentary is both informative, entertaining, and sometimes just plain silly and funny.

I thought of another site to check out:

www.day9.tv

Day9 aka Sean Plott was an american SC1 progamer who has turned into somewhat of a figurehead for the SC2 community. He produces a daily web show called the Day9 Daily where he teaches the intricacies of the game, alongside sometimes just acting ridiculously funny. He also casts many tournaments from around the world, and is a staple in commentating competitive SC2 at the MLG tournaments in the US.
Old 09-08-2011 at 08:06 PM   #11
Tom Yang

Yeah C&C4 did not fit at all. The Starcraft II community is really awesome and its a game for both the casual (You wont be bored of it until maybe after 500 games) and the pro (being one of the competitive e-sport) gamers.
Old 09-08-2011 at 08:08 PM   #12
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak705 View Post
I didn't quite mean for you to compete in.. though those exist also (Mac has a SC2 team as well)

But just WATCHING the pro games is very, very entertaining. I'm at the point where I easily watch more games than I play. The games are generally commentated, and most times the commentary is both informative, entertaining, and sometimes just plain silly and funny.

I thought of another site to check out:

www.day9.tv

Day9 aka Sean Plott was an american SC1 progamer who has turned into somewhat of a figurehead for the SC2 community. He produces a daily web show called the Day9 Daily where he teaches the intricacies of the game, alongside sometimes just acting ridiculously funny. He also casts many tournaments from around the world, and is a staple in commentating competitive SC2 at the MLG tournaments in the US.
Yesssss Day9 is the best.
Old 09-08-2011 at 08:14 PM   #13
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

STOP TEMPTING ME. ;_____; Wait, that's why I made this thread in the first place. *facepalm*

But on a serious note, GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAH. FINE I MIGHT JUST...sAFJASKDFAS. Okay! I AM GETTING SCARCRAFT STARCRAFT 2.
Old 09-08-2011 at 08:22 PM   #14
KCelsius

Should get it, it's fun and the community's nice!
Old 09-08-2011 at 08:29 PM   #15
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

It's $60........*grumble*. ....Fine, I'll get it when I get my next paycheck. ~___~; Razzle frazzle...