Starcraft 2 partner Yakattack Gaming 5 10-16-2010 09:19 PM

Considering Getting Starcraft II

Old 09-08-2011 at 08:42 PM   #16
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelaisAer View Post
It's $60........*grumble*. ....Fine, I'll get it when I get my next paycheck. ~___~; Razzle frazzle...
GEEEE GEEEE!11!!! GG

GL & HF in your SC2 career

AdelaisAer says thanks to Freak705 for this post.

AdelaisAer likes this.
Old 09-08-2011 at 08:51 PM   #17
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Liked: 118 Times

Indeed! Thank you! Hopefully, once I get good at SC2, I'll join the SC2 team.
Old 09-08-2011 at 08:54 PM   #18
Mepper

Liked: 71 Times

I can send you a 7 day trial if you want

AdelaisAer says thanks to Mepper for this post.

AdelaisAer likes this.
Old 09-08-2011 at 09:05 PM   #19
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mepper View Post
I can send you a 7 day trial if you want
That'd be mighty generous of you, sir.
Old 09-08-2011 at 09:06 PM   #20
Freak705
Elite Member

I've been playing (infrequently) since beta, and I'm high Platinum.. The people on the team I bet are Masters league and Masters league >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > Platinum.
Old 09-08-2011 at 09:13 PM   #21
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

No idea what those ranks are, but most likely far higher than I will ever achieve. Ha ha.
Old 09-08-2011 at 09:22 PM   #22
Freak705
Elite Member

The ladder is broken into leagues based on your overall skill (measured by matchmaking ranking or MMR). These leagues are Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, Masters and Grandmasters leagues.

When you first start playing, you'll play 5 placement matches. Depending on how you do, you'll be placed into a league. I believe the highest league you can be placed into is Platinum. After that, you have to win enough games to be promoted up to Diamond and then Masters. The top 200 players on each server are placed into the Grandmasters league (all the contracted, team-signed professionals are basically in GM).
Old 09-08-2011 at 09:26 PM   #23
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak705 View Post
The ladder is broken into leagues based on your overall skill (measured by matchmaking ranking or MMR). These leagues are Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, Masters and Grandmasters leagues.

When you first start playing, you'll play 5 placement matches. Depending on how you do, you'll be placed into a league. I believe the highest league you can be placed into is Platinum. After that, you have to win enough games to be promoted up to Diamond and then Masters. The top 200 players on each server are placed into the Grandmasters league (all the contracted, team-signed professionals are basically in GM).
o-o Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek. I just know I am going Bronze LOL.
Old 09-08-2011 at 09:29 PM   #24
Freak705
Elite Member

Lol no worries man, just learn to 6-pool/cannon rush/4gate and you'll be cheesing nubs into Diamond faster than you know.

.....That was probably too much StarCraft terminology <_<
Old 09-08-2011 at 09:34 PM   #25
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Quote:
Lol no worries man, just learn to 6-pool/cannon rush/4gate and you'll be cheesing nubs into Diamond faster than you know.

.....That was probably too much StarCraft terminology <_<
When it comes to Age of Empires [series], or Rise of Nations, Empire Earth, Heroes 3, etc., I am pretty damn good. But that....I don't even know what the hell that was LOL. Inb4 I just play super casually and stay Bronze forever.
Old 09-08-2011 at 09:56 PM   #26
Freak705
Elite Member

Well I don't know your familiarity with SC at all, but the 3 factions/races are:

Zerg, Protoss + Terran

Zergs have a structure called a Spawning Pool, which allows them to create small melee units called Zerglings. Zergs generally have low-cost, weak, swarming units that you win battles with overwhelming units. The ultimate rush is the 6 pool (building a spawning pool when you are at 6 food) so you rush your opponents to win the game early with zerglings (the origin of the term ZERG RUSH, KEKEKE)

A common strategy for Protoss noobs (aka nubs) is to build defensive towers (called Photon Cannons) inside the base of your opponents at the beginning of the game (ie a Cannon Rush)

A very prevalent build order for Protoss is the 4gate, in which a player builds 4 Gateways (the rudimentary army producing building) and rushes to attack their opponent early, warping their units in instantly from far across the map (an ability used only by Protoss)

"Cheese" is basically an unconventional strategy, something that doesn't follow the standard of economy building into technology development into army production. "Cheeses" generally are hard to stop as a novice, until you learn the proper response. A "cheese" that goes unnoticed in the early game can be deadly, but once you know the response, if you spot a "cheese" you will almost always defeat it with good control.

AdelaisAer says thanks to Freak705 for this post.

AdelaisAer likes this.
Old 09-08-2011 at 10:36 PM   #27
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Quote:
Well I don't know your familiarity with SC at all, but the 3 factions/races are:

Zerg, Protoss + Terran

Zergs have a structure called a Spawning Pool, which allows them to create small melee units called Zerglings. Zergs generally have low-cost, weak, swarming units that you win battles with overwhelming units. The ultimate rush is the 6 pool (building a spawning pool when you are at 6 food) so you rush your opponents to win the game early with zerglings (the origin of the term ZERG RUSH, KEKEKE)

A common strategy for Protoss noobs (aka nubs) is to build defensive towers (called Photon Cannons) inside the base of your opponents at the beginning of the game (ie a Cannon Rush)

A very prevalent build order for Protoss is the 4gate, in which a player builds 4 Gateways (the rudimentary army producing building) and rushes to attack their opponent early, warping their units in instantly from far across the map (an ability used only by Protoss)

"Cheese" is basically an unconventional strategy, something that doesn't follow the standard of economy building into technology development into army production. "Cheeses" generally are hard to stop as a novice, until you learn the proper response. A "cheese" that goes unnoticed in the early game can be deadly, but once you know the response, if you spot a "cheese" you will almost always defeat it with good control.
Thank you for the explanation. Usually I tend to take my time than rush; I guess you people would call it Turtle-ing.
Old 09-08-2011 at 10:47 PM   #28
Freak705
Elite Member

Yup. There's nothing more frustrating than the Terran who hides in his base with a ring of missile turrets around the edges, behind endless bunkers and siege tanks..

AdelaisAer likes this.
Old 09-08-2011 at 11:03 PM   #29
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Quote:
Yup. There's nothing more frustrating than the Terran who hides in his base with a ring of missile turrets around the edges, behind endless bunkers and siege tanks..
Yup. That's me. I build strong defences, an impenetrable wall to hold any army back. Though, regardless of that, I still do send an army out.
Old 09-08-2011 at 11:11 PM   #30
Chandlerowns

Liked: 67 Times

Well it's good that another person will join the ranks of terran! Be warned the units are pretty bad, and most terrans do terribly in big tournaments. I can't even remember the last time there was a TvT finals.