MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who would I contact to ask about my degree audit? SilverHawley Academics 8 12-16-2011 09:51 PM
Who To Contact? merc67 Academics 5 06-10-2011 01:28 PM
need to find contact info gcruz91 Academics 6 12-25-2009 11:42 PM
Who can I contact at Mac about my TTG? HeatherH General Discussion 8 02-22-2009 08:56 PM

Contact lenses

Old 05-24-2013 at 12:40 PM   #1
escape

Liked: 38 Times

Contact lenses
Where do you guys get your contact lenses from? I’ve worn glasses for years and I’m thinking about getting contacts now but was wondering if MAC students receive a discount for this.

How was it like wearing contacts for the first time? I've been hearing about feeling burning sensation in the eyes alot
Any recommendations?
Old 05-24-2013 at 12:45 PM   #2
hilton

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Where do you guys get your contact lenses from?
an eye doctor

escape likes this.
Old 05-24-2013 at 12:47 PM   #3
pavlov

Liked: 72 Times

I suggest getting samples from local optical stores and finding out what works for you. When you are ready and have narrowed down the brand that works for you I suggest ordering large amounts online from clearlycontacts.ca

Personally, I have always worn Acuvue lenses.

escape, justinsftw all say thanks to pavlov for this post.

RyanC likes this.
Old 05-24-2013 at 12:54 PM   #4
sm18

Liked: 4 Times

i use Bausch&Lomb daily disposable SofLens and i find them very comfortable and easy to wear! since they're the daily disposable ones i don't have to worry about losing them either. i've been wearing contacts for a year now and initially it will take you time to get them in but you'll get used to it. just don't wear them for too long and you should be fine.

escape says thanks to sm18 for this post.
Old 05-24-2013 at 01:27 PM   #5
escape

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavlov View Post
I suggest getting samples from local optical stores and finding out what works for you. When you are ready and have narrowed down the brand that works for you I suggest ordering large amounts online from clearlycontacts.ca

Personally, I have always worn Acuvue lenses.
Do you wear them on daily basis? i'm planning on wearing them for special ocassions only
Old 05-24-2013 at 01:29 PM   #6
escape

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm18 View Post
i use Bausch&Lomb daily disposable SofLens and i find them very comfortable and easy to wear! since they're the daily disposable ones i don't have to worry about losing them either. i've been wearing contacts for a year now and initially it will take you time to get them in but you'll get used to it. just don't wear them for too long and you should be fine.
how long is "too long"?
i thought disposable ones last all day (like 14-15 hours atleast)

thanks for the info
Old 05-24-2013 at 01:57 PM   #7
shreebee

Liked: 30 Times

i use acuvue and ive been wearing contacts for almost 6 years now. i always get the bi-weekly lenses.

as mentioned earlier, try samples from local optical stores and see what brand works for you. this is important because not all brands will feel comfortable.

if you plan on wearing them for special occasions only, i suggest getting dailies, otherwise bi-weekly or monthlys work best.

escape likes this.
Old 05-24-2013 at 02:26 PM   #8
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Don't listen to these people telling you to try samples from stores.

First you should see an optometrist and get the right prescription, and contact prescription differ from glasses. Then they'll recommend which kinds best fit your eyes. (For me, because I had a greater curve, most contacts won't work that well for me, which is why I use Proclear.)

Then the doctor will inevitably try to sell you contacts, which are gonna be pricey, so you ask for the prescription if they haven't already given you a copy. I used Google Shopping to pick out which online retailers carried my brand for the lowest price. If you're worried about the legitimacy of those sites, just take the price and go to ClearlyContacts (well-known Canadian retailer with Coastal as their US counterpart) for a price match. They'll make sure (and you can ask them for your own reference) the site their matching is legit. Last I checked, they even give you a 5% discount after the match. For me, WebEyeCare had the lowest prices. Instead of paying $120-$150, I paid $60 for 6 pairs of monthly lenses.

Note that not everyone can get daily lenses, it depends on your eyes and availability. Given my curvature and astigmatism, there are no dailies for me to use. :( But monthlies are cheaper than dailies anyway. If you're gonna get anything besides dailies, I recommend ClearCare for your cleaning solution. Cheapest at Costco. Also I typically wear my lenses for 12-16 hours a day. You might want to keep eye drops handy, making sure that they are for contact lenses, not regular eyeballs.

Last edited by Desda : 05-24-2013 at 02:44 PM.

escape, PockyWarrior all say thanks to Desda for this post.

ashleighp likes this.
Old 05-24-2013 at 03:05 PM   #9
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape View Post
Do you wear them on daily basis? i'm planning on wearing them for special ocassions only
Yes, just saw this, was going to say that, if you're in science (as your profile states), be careful b/c some labs don't allow contacts...

escape likes this.
Old 05-24-2013 at 03:51 PM   #10
sm18

Quote:
how long is "too long"?
i thought disposable ones last all day (like 14-15 hours atleast)

thanks for the info
you're welcome! and yeah they can last for upto 14-15 hours but i personally feel like letting my eyes breathe after 9 hours cuz i feel like they start getting dry but maybe that's just me!

escape likes this.
Old 05-25-2013 at 11:49 AM   #11
pavlov

Liked: 72 Times

Quote:
I have used both bi-weeklies and dailies. Currently, I use dailies as they are more convenient.

escape likes this.
Old 05-25-2013 at 06:44 PM   #12
escape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
Don't listen to these people telling you to try samples from stores.

First you should see an optometrist and get the right prescription, and contact prescription differ from glasses. Then they'll recommend which kinds best fit your eyes. (For me, because I had a greater curve, most contacts won't work that well for me, which is why I use Proclear.)

Then the doctor will inevitably try to sell you contacts, which are gonna be pricey, so you ask for the prescription if they haven't already given you a copy. I used Google Shopping to pick out which online retailers carried my brand for the lowest price. If you're worried about the legitimacy of those sites, just take the price and go to ClearlyContacts (well-known Canadian retailer with Coastal as their US counterpart) for a price match. They'll make sure (and you can ask them for your own reference) the site their matching is legit. Last I checked, they even give you a 5% discount after the match. For me, WebEyeCare had the lowest prices. Instead of paying $120-$150, I paid $60 for 6 pairs of monthly lenses.

Note that not everyone can get daily lenses, it depends on your eyes and availability. Given my curvature and astigmatism, there are no dailies for me to use. :( But monthlies are cheaper than dailies anyway. If you're gonna get anything besides dailies, I recommend ClearCare for your cleaning solution. Cheapest at Costco. Also I typically wear my lenses for 12-16 hours a day. You might want to keep eye drops handy, making sure that they are for contact lenses, not regular eyeballs.
I got my eyes checked like a month back, also got new pair of glasses. I was thinking about going with pearl vision for contact lenses but apparently they charge extra (one time fee) to check eyes/pupil dimensions etc and then new set of contacts are given.

so do dailies expire say if you don't use them within a week span or something?
Old 05-26-2013 at 01:58 AM   #13
sm18

i don't think they expire cuz i buy a whole year's supply altogether, which by the way i got for cheaper than if i had gotten only a few months' supply at once
Old 05-26-2013 at 02:13 AM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm18 View Post
i don't think they expire cuz i buy a whole year's supply altogether, which by the way i got for cheaper than if i had gotten only a few months' supply at once
They do expire, there's an expiration date on the package but it's typically 4 years unless you get them from some sketchy source.
Old 05-31-2013 at 10:01 AM   #15
adanya16

Liked: 1 Time

the first time you wear contacts you need to have your eye doctor put them in for you.