MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Convert PDF to Word (Doc)? Allan Computers & Tech 11 08-02-2011 08:15 PM
how to convert 12 point scale to 4 point scale? VoyozooT Academics 2 06-05-2010 05:43 PM
What's a 9.5, 9.6, 9.7 on a 4.0 GPA scale? hyperthermia Academics 10 02-02-2010 08:32 PM
Convert Glossy screen to Matte? Allan General Discussion 5 08-22-2009 11:29 AM

how to convert gpa on a 4.0 scale

Old 05-11-2013 at 12:09 PM   #16
rpg51
Elite Member

Liked: 139 Times

I felt the same way after first year. Contrary to what my profile info says, I am not really in software engineering. I was in commerce in my first year and was really unmotivated. Next thing you know I was kicked out for failing a required class. After that I chose to switch into economics and I am doing really well, even in the harder econ classes. I felt like such a failure after failing out that it motivated me to be better and the way I kept my motivation up was because I actually enjoyed economics. Basically you gotta just study something you have a passion for. If you don't like university or business, then switching to college is probably a good thing. I actually applaud you for considering college because most people can't put their ego aside and make the switch because they think colleges are inferior to university, which is not the case.

Old 05-11-2013 at 12:10 PM   #17
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally View Post
Tbh, my highschool was near my house like 5 mins away and commuting was a hassle I just felt home sick, and I didn't end up going to lecture i studied straight from the books, and i was so bad with time management, and I felt like half way through uni I lost motivation...and I don't know if university is for me, I feel like I would do much better in college, I feel like even though I did try my best I recieved a 3.5 but I didn't put in all my effort into my work
If you didn't put in all your effort then you didn't try your best

Definitely look into college, but from what I've heard it's much more hands-on so missing classes really doesn't go over well. It probably depends on the program, but if that was a major issue for you last year then going to college isn't a "solution". Idk where you live, but maybe find colleges close by your house? Or move closer to whatever school you choose?
Being interested in what you're studying is also huge for motivation. Some people are just really disciplined and can get themselves to do work that they don't like, but others need to like what they're doing otherwise they won't do it

Edited just to add to what matthew said: colleges are not inferior, and they're not "easier" either. You might find them easier if they suit your learning style better, but don't switch to college thinking that that alone will magically make everything better. It will still require effort and motivation to do well.
Old 05-11-2013 at 12:57 PM   #18
sally

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpg51 View Post
I felt the same way after first year. Contrary to what my profile info says, I am not really in software engineering. I was in commerce in my first year and was really unmotivated. Next thing you know I was kicked out for failing a required class. After that I chose to switch into economics and I am doing really well, even in the harder econ classes. I felt like such a failure after failing out that it motivated me to be better and the way I kept my motivation up was because I actually enjoyed economics. Basically you gotta just study something you have a passion for. If you don't like university or business, then switching to college is probably a good thing. I actually applaud you for considering college because most people can't put their ego aside and make the switch because they think colleges are inferior to university, which is not the case.
Thank you so much, you seriously made me feel so much better!, but yeah even though I live in hamilton it took me 45 minutes to commute from a public bus, and I think to go to mohawk it takes 15 minutes to drive or 10 minutes from a car, and I like being close to my family, I love my friends to but I just miss the presence of home LOL. And your lucky you had a back up for economics, my grades dropped cause of macro and micro I just sucked at it...and I've always had a creative side in me...in arts or beauty related like a makeup artist, or the reason I mentioned marketing was due to the reason of being creative and putting in ideas ...

yes I had the talk to my dad that you know college isn't bad it is more hands on, and coming from a person like me who really hates reading ...and reading books constantly in commerce was a pain in the ass ahaa,I don't mind math though its okay

and thanks for applauding and making my day
Old 05-11-2013 at 01:02 PM   #19
sally

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
If you didn't put in all your effort then you didn't try your best

Definitely look into college, but from what I've heard it's much more hands-on so missing classes really doesn't go over well. It probably depends on the program, but if that was a major issue for you last year then going to college isn't a "solution". Idk where you live, but maybe find colleges close by your house? Or move closer to whatever school you choose?
Being interested in what you're studying is also huge for motivation. Some people are just really disciplined and can get themselves to do work that they don't like, but others need to like what they're doing otherwise they won't do it

Edited just to add to what matthew said: colleges are not inferior, and they're not "easier" either. You might find them easier if they suit your learning style better, but don't switch to college thinking that that alone will magically make everything better. It will still require effort and motivation to do well.
Well one of my gifted talents is art, or a makeup artist, but my dad told me you know you can first do a proper degree, and then go for your hobby....I wouldn't mind going to a college near me which is mohawk college its 10 minutes away...and I would much rather have something hands on then studying my lifeee away in the library :| i never liked books my whole life.

I honestly could have went to commerce II but since I was not motivated at all, I just got sick of it you know...and I guess I didn't try my best like you said I didn't put all my effort in it but i did try....I definatly think nothing is easy in life you just have to work hard to get to the top...
Old 05-11-2013 at 01:25 PM   #20
mastercool

Liked: 22 Times

The reality is University is not for everyone..it's extremely theory orientated and the disposition of some people are not geared towards this while others excel tremendously. It's also a lot of independent work.

OP, I also have felt like you time to time. Right after I graduated high school, I attended university for a few months but VWed all the courses because I wasn't feeling the program and hated the atmosphere. I took some time off, went to college, and by that time I had a much better idea of what I wanted to accomplish in my life.

I know that everybody is pressuring you to find out what you want to do NOW, but sometimes these things take time, and it's not an instant process. Like others have suggested, find out what you're really passionate about and pursue that field. It probably won't be easy, and it will take a lot of dedication to get where you want to go, but you'll be better off in the long run.

Good luck!
Old 05-11-2013 at 02:47 PM   #21
L_Blankfein

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercool View Post
The reality is University is not for everyone..it's extremely theory orientated and the disposition of some people are not geared towards this while others excel tremendously. It's also a lot of independent work.

OP, I also have felt like you time to time. Right after I graduated high school, I attended university for a few months but VWed all the courses because I wasn't feeling the program and hated the atmosphere. I took some time off, went to college, and by that time I had a much better idea of what I wanted to accomplish in my life.

I know that everybody is pressuring you to find out what you want to do NOW, but sometimes these things take time, and it's not an instant process. Like others have suggested, find out what you're really passionate about and pursue that field. It probably won't be easy, and it will take a lot of dedication to get where you want to go, but you'll be better off in the long run.

Good luck!
Talk about verbiage, that's all this post was; verbiage.
Old 05-11-2013 at 08:36 PM   #22
sally

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercool View Post

Good luck!
Thank you so much for your time, and everything, well I defiantly agree with you that I should go for something I am passionate about and my passion is to also become a business lady, I've heard mohawk has a really good program for insurance so I might do a bit of research on this and check...my father also thinks its a good program you also have a college university transfer to brock university after 2 years ...and lol well I do want a major career and on the side I am very passionate about art as in a makeup artist but thanks again, I'm glad to know people have been there just like me not the only onee but hey you really got me, thanks again
Old 05-11-2013 at 09:00 PM   #23
mastercool

Liked: 22 Times

No problem! And I don't suggest you do any college-university transfer programs...often the material covered is different and it can be a tough adjustment. You've been here and decided that you don't like it. Why put yourself through the misery again?

Stick to programs offered through college that give you an advantage in the job market. Do a lot of research before committing yourself to any one thing. I'm sure you'll be fine!

P.S. - I'd also like to note that most of the people that I know of who took pure-business related degrees aren't that successful. The business people that I know who are doing quite well for themselves are those who took specialization routes of training (various trades, engineering technologies, doctor/dentist) and then went into business for themselves. There's many options available...just don't choose something too general and you'll be ok.

Last edited by mastercool : 05-11-2013 at 09:21 PM.