coping with first year engineer workload
real tips and advices plz no trolls.

eng1p03
eng1d04
math1za3
physic1d03
chem1e03
pysch1x03

so much work already and i am feeling it.
Old 09-14-2012 at 09:55 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

po3 isn't much work
d04 go to your tutorials and try to understand what's being dealt. Prior to it try understanding the code in textbook
math 1za3 shouldn't be hard till the end
physics just go to lectures and keep doing practice problems. do capa in groups
chem 1e03 read the slides and lectures. read over tutorial answers if you don't have time to do it
psych no clue keep up with readings
Old 09-14-2012 at 09:55 PM   #3
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Chem 1E03 - Don't waste time with the textbook. Do the tutorial questions as practice and study off of the old midterms provided.
Psych 1X03 - Not the best elective imo... But do the avenue quizzes in groups. Force yourself to pay attention to the lecture. Really think critically about the questions and answers, there is usually some sort of sneaky word which makes a certain statement correct/incorrect.
Old 09-14-2012 at 10:00 PM   #4
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Eng 1p03: Useless course! As long s you have good/hard working members in your group, then your good! The project is worth like half of the course, so give it your best...for the readings (that i never did), try to read at night when your done studying everything else..the midterm and the exam are still worth a big chunk of your mark..

Eng 1d04: Read the book, attempt the programs at the end of each chapter...the first 3 chapters are easy...so even though it get challenging afterwards, try your best to at least do few of the programming exercises at the end of each chapter...if you have dr.farmer, make sure you study the lecture notes and know all of the famous people and what the did (like Alan Turing).

Math 1za3: Read each lesson, and do the homework...make sure you do ALL of the suggested problems and the practice tests provided..if you struggle, don't hesitate to drop by the math help centre in the basement of Hamilton Hall(HH)... you'll probably go there a lot once you guys start sequences and series
McMaster Math Help Centre: http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/~mcleac3...elpCentre.html

Physics 1d03: Read the book and do the CAPA..yes, I understand that it's only worth about 2.5%, but if you skip on it you won't do good...print the capa as soon as it comes out and start working on it!

Chem 1e03: Boring lectures! Slept in most of the classes and then stopped going lol...do the practice tests they post on avenue before the test, practice with the tutorial assignments and ask for help!

For physics 1d03, make sure you do (and understand) the capa and you should be good to go!
First year is a lot of work, but you have more than enough time...even though some people say they don't study on friday, you should..assuming you finish at 6:30pm on friday, you have, lets say from 8-11pm..that should be enough time to study/practice/catch up.

You don't need to be frustrated, you have a lot of time...use your time wisely and you should be good!
Good luck

Arisu4 says thanks to jim1 for this post.
Old 09-14-2012 at 10:10 PM   #5
Unregistered

physics1d03 - capa only? what about all those txtbook problems?
math1za3 - all the work assigned. ok.

i just feel overwhelmed because of all the assigned problems that are given in physics1d03, math1za3, chem1e03 and eng1d04. i havn't been able to fully read prior to coming to lecture and i was told i need to.
Old 09-14-2012 at 10:15 PM   #6
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
physics1d03 - capa only? what about all those txtbook problems?
math1za3 - all the work assigned. ok.

i just feel overwhelmed because of all the assigned problems that are given in physics1d03, math1za3, chem1e03 and eng1d04. i havn't been able to fully read prior to coming to lecture and i was told i need to.
CAPA is more important than the textbook problems..if you have time after doing capa, do some of the chapter problems, otherwise stick to capa..
As i said, you have a lot of time to study and do well in first year...you just have to manage your time well!
Old 09-14-2012 at 10:30 PM   #7
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Also one big thing for 1d03, DO THE TEXTBOOK PROBLEMS! I never did them since I only did Capa and a little bit of other studying, but my friend told me that many of the problems (not necessarily the assigned ones) were right on the tests
Old 09-14-2012 at 10:46 PM   #8
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

I agree with Philipp31, psych not the best elective for an 1st eng student, it requires a fair bit of your time.

But try to skim over the readings in the Discover Pysch text, pay GREATEST ATTENTION to MODULES (and MAKE GOOD NOTES) AND ESPLY TUTORIALS. Tutorials are SO helpful to get the concept down.

Space the textbook readings over the week and do the quizzes in groups. Even if u do them alone u should be fine, but when i did that last year i often felt like i didnt get the full picture which comes from group discussion and doing each others quizzes.

And as for the rest of the courses, i guess the other guys have addressed them.

*Time Management is key*

Last edited by jon.john23 : 09-14-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-14-2012 at 10:55 PM   #9
Unregistered

ok. I will change my pysch to something else on monday. it does involved a lot of reading.
Old 09-14-2012 at 11:03 PM   #10
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

Quote:
ok. I will change my pysch to something else on monday. it does involved a lot of reading.
You cant, the last date to add/drop is the 16th I believe.
Old 09-14-2012 at 11:14 PM   #11
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
real tips and advices plz no trolls.

eng1p03
eng1d04
math1za3
physic1d03
chem1e03
pysch1x03

so much work already and i am feeling it.
None of these courses are remotely difficult if you paid attention in highschool.

Eng 1p03 writing component might be difficult if you're not a native english speaker, tests are incredibly stupid and frustrating, and you absolutely will have a difficult time if you're not good with english reading comprehension. The assignments and any extra marks you can make up through little % weighting items are your lifeblood. Merely being in the lectures gives you an advantage over people who skip... and a lot skip this course, especially if its a 5:30 slot or night course.

Eng 1d04 is a breeze if you had any programming exposure in highschool. Prepare for the labs ahead of time; I found a lot of my classmates showed up to the labs clueless. Midterms in programming is typically about finding errors and following program flow -- make excessive use of the debug mode, and make sure you understand exactly why your program messed up should you encounter an error.. I found a lot of people just wrote something, hit compile/run, ran into an error, fixed it, hit run, fixed, hit run, blindly trying to finish the lab without thinking. In my year there were extra portions of the lab which I did all of.

Math is all about practice problems. Period. If your professor is a bad lecturer, stop going to class and learn from the text or video sources such as PatrickJMT or whatever your favourite site you find in a google search. I find teaching people maths really enforces the concepts well. Some professors are just plain bad, and going to their timeslots is actually a waste of time ... sneak into better professor's classes if you can.

Physics lectures are usually valuable and solving CAPA questions individually the most important aspect of the course -- DO NOT get in the habit of looking at solutions posted on the discussion board (avenue). Textbook problems help, but CAPA + past midterms should be sufficient.

Chem is all about practice problems, much like math. Again, this course *shouldn't* be too difficult, as it's almost exactly the same as high school chemistry. Hardest part about this course I found was remembering which molar gas constant to use...

Psych is difficult to advise on, as the midterm(s) and final can be brutally arbitrary. It really helps to be exposed to a wide variety of phrasing of the questions, so this is one of the few courses I'd recommend to get any and all course books. While I didn't find the textbook all that different from the modules or CCW, there were extra examples in the chapters that made me look at the problems in slightly different ways. If you need help in completing quizzes without a group, its an indicator you might be in trouble. Also make sure you space out your psych studying and keep up with lectures, as it is tempting to just wait till midterms to really go through lectures. Take notes, even though you think it's all just sitting there in video format for you to review.
Old 09-14-2012 at 11:35 PM   #12
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBean View Post
You cant, the last date to add/drop is the 16th I believe.
Sessional Dates

14th was the last day. Although i can still add and drop courses now. I think u can select courses but if you drop it may not get all ur money back. Not sure about adding a courses after deadline.

Ur not alone in pysch, there are SOO many ppl taking this courses, so ull find ppl to work with and may be who are in eng aswell.
Old 09-15-2012 at 01:34 AM   #13
Marooner

Liked: 59 Times

RyanC has given you some solid advice. My $0.02 towards PSYCH 1X03, most questions are from module material. Try to do your quiz later on in the week so you hear what type of material the quiz was based on. The questions are very application/thinking based so it helps to have a firm grasp of major concepts. If you have a bad quiz don't sweat it. Learn and do better the following week. Dr. Kim will probably record your top 10 of 13 quizzes, give or take. Try to do them in SMALL groups, like 1-4 people. Don't forget each quiz takes up to 20 minutes so some of the earlier people might get lazy and want to take off. Yes the questions may seem arbitrary considering how much material is covered. However, as stated, if you expose yourself to a wide variety of material and practice questions you should feel comfortable writing final (I found the questions were not as difficult as the weekly quizzes, more similar to IntroPsych style questions).

Old 09-15-2012 at 09:50 AM   #14
Unregistered

u guys are great, thx so much for putting it into perspective.
Old 09-15-2012 at 01:32 PM   #15
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.john23 View Post
Sessional Dates

14th was the last day. Although i can still add and drop courses now. I think u can select courses but if you drop it may not get all ur money back. Not sure about adding a courses after deadline.

Ur not alone in pysch, there are SOO many ppl taking this courses, so ull find ppl to work with and may be who are in eng aswell.
If the 14th was the last day, then you cannot add a new course. You can drop, but with financial penalty. You could still add/drop second term courses, however.
So yeah...the OP has to either stick with psych as an elective or drop it and take a reduced courseload.
Anyways, psych really isn't that bad and didn't take up too much of my time...the lectures were a pain to get through, but in terms of other work it's not hard.