MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MATH 2Z03 and 2ZZ3 Textbooks Ohmz Academics 4 05-18-2010 02:29 PM
Math 2Z03 and 2ZZ3 lmasud First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 04-08-2010 04:19 PM

Could anyone please review Math 2Z03/2ZZ3?

Old 08-11-2010 at 12:31 PM   #16
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Stay home, make a nice cup of coffee, and teach yourself Z03/ZZ3. Profs suck.
Ya, that's what I did. I went to about half of Protas' lectures for 2Z03, and realized I had no idea what he was talking about (since I was always behind in homework). I went to one of Kovarik's lectures and that's it for 2ZZ3.

Got a 10 in both, and managed to get by without learning wtf a partial differential equation or a double fourier transform is.

Just do the homework on the site, and you should be good.
Old 08-11-2010 at 12:37 PM   #17
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOKO View Post
Is this because of Dr. Bartosz Protas? If yes, then I'm lucky that we don't have him this year. Thanks to your batch!
I still have nightmares where I'm sitting in class being accused by him of not only disturbing himself, but also my fellow students.

This is basically how 2ZZ3 was:

Old 08-11-2010 at 12:56 PM   #18
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

I had Dr. Yapalparvi for Math 2Z03. He was an alright professor I guess but since his lectures were in the evening not many attended (including me haha). For the lectures I did go to I liked his method of using blank overheads rather than the blackboard. He didn't go to fast through the material so it was easy to keep up but you really had to read the textbook or do the hmwrk to understand what was going on, especially in the later half of the course. The material in Math 2Z03 wasn't too bad but its still up there as one of the hardest courses I've taken so far.

For Math 2ZZ3 I had Dr. Protas. Needless to say I never attended many lectures. One of the main reasons I never attended was because I find he just regurgitates the entire textbook on the overheads and I found I was better off learning the material on my own. He does do a few examples I guess that are not in the textbook and may help you understand the material better so there is some incentive in going but not much. The last half of 2ZZ3 was insane imo. The material we covered in those last few chapters was just mind boggling.

One piece of advice, DO THE ASSIGNED PRACTISE PROBLEMS or you will never make it out alive from this course lol.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 08-11-2010 at 01:01 PM   #19
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I still have nightmares where I'm sitting in class being accused by him of not only disturbing himself, but also my fellow students.

This is basically how 2ZZ3 was:

LOL !!!!!!
Old 08-11-2010 at 01:04 PM   #20
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Comp Sci FTW!!!!! :p

only Stats 2D03 to suffer!
Old 08-11-2010 at 10:47 PM   #21
mse369

Liked: 9 Times

Yeah after reading this, I'm not looking forward to math this coming year. Especially since I'm in eng phys hahaha
Old 08-11-2010 at 11:43 PM   #22
forever0zero

Liked: 39 Times

2z03 is way harder than 1zz5 and 2zz3 is just a nightmare. every time i think of 2zz3 i think of that one test with an average of 40% and those ridiculously difficult matlab assignments. ugh...

math 3i03 should be fun... more partial differentials
Old 08-11-2010 at 11:52 PM   #23
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

To sum up 2nd Year Engineering Math:

AnguishedEnd likes this.
Old 08-12-2010 at 02:37 AM   #24
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever0zero View Post
... i think of that one test with an average of 40%...
Excuse me sir, but I believe you mean 38%.

Don't go trying to make it sound like that test was better than it was.
Old 08-17-2010 at 11:02 PM   #25
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
only Stats 2D03 to suffer!
Haha, you get Min-Oo...not heard the best about him

Old 08-18-2010 at 12:00 AM   #26
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

2Z03 really only got to be a toucher when it came to certain material (systems of DEs, anybody?) and the exam. Overall, it wasn't too bad. 2ZZ3 started off pleasantly enough then it kind of took a nose dive. Some of the ridiculous functions you're asked to do things with--and the seemingly oddball methods required--were daunting, to say the least.

Do assigned problems and you'll be fine. Lectures are not necessary.

Old 08-18-2010 at 12:10 AM   #27
Maitland

Liked: 34 Times

After those two hellish courses the only information that I have retained are the matlab error messages. After seeing them on such a routine basis it was impossible not to commit them to memory. I have nightmares about it to this day...