MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finding Library Books Melanieee Academics 2 06-25-2010 09:20 AM
Lost in the library? KristaG First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 09-14-2009 03:01 PM
Computers in the Library Rob Mac Academics 2 09-25-2008 08:22 PM
End frustration with library books! KristaG General Discussion 2 10-19-2007 04:09 PM

course books available at library?

Old 05-07-2009 at 02:05 PM   #1
macculkin

Liked: 5 Times

course books available at library?
does anyone know if there are copies of all the required textbooks for courses at the library? or is it just certain ones that are on reserve.... i just wanted to know if i actually have to buy the texts for a course i'm taking or if it's available at the library for 2 hours or something.

(the specific course I'm wondering about is Anthro 2H03 Environment and Culture)
Old 05-07-2009 at 02:09 PM   #2
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

There is no guarantee that you will find your textbook at the library but it is always worth a shot. Sometimes you'll find a different edition which doesn't always work for you if your prof specifically needs you to use a certain edition.

If the prof has put any of your books on the reserve he/she will tell you.

Old 05-07-2009 at 10:51 PM   #3
Parnian

Liked: 13 Times

So I checked your course out. There's no course reserves for it. However, 2/3 of the required books can be checked out in the library.

HUMAN ADAPTIVE STRATEGIES has one copy in Mills library, but someone checked it out already. You could place the book on hold.

NEW DIRECTIONS IN ANTHROPOLOGY AND ENVIRONMENT has two copies in Mills library, and both are checked out. Place a hold on both of them.

BEAR COUNTRY PREDATION POLITICS AND CHANGING FACE OF PYRENEAN is not available. You'll have to buy this one, but ask the prof if it's really necessary or buy it second handed.

I'm assuming you know how to place books on hold. If you don't, I can help you out there.
Old 05-13-2009 at 08:19 PM   #4
AC_librarian

Liked: 0 Times

In general, the library does not purchase textbooks. However, it is always worth checking the catalogue (freely searchable by anyone, inside or outside the uni) just to make sure. As mentioned, you might find an older edition.

Library books that are used in courses are in high demand, and so the prof will usually put them on reserve for short term use.