MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Course Selection 10pauljuli First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 06-07-2010 11:55 PM
Course Selection olive First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-02-2010 04:53 PM
Course Selection Maximas First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-30-2010 07:35 PM
course selection jordanrogers Academics 2 05-05-2009 01:13 PM
course selection Griff Academics 1 08-02-2007 09:10 PM

Course Selection

Old 05-26-2009 at 09:46 PM   #16
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

No 8:30 classes unless you have no other choice! Seriously though, try to avoid morning classes. Try to access SOLAR and select your courses as soon as possible because classes can fill up pretty fast. Also, I would recommend you try to organize everything beforehand using the master timetable. That way, once SOLAR opens up, it won't take long for you to select your courses. You may also want to sort courses out so that they're evenly spread out through the week. Make sure no lectures/tutorials/labs conflict with each other though. Finally, aside from compulsory courses, take ones that you're interested in. Some courses may be considered "bird courses" but even then, if you're not interested in them, you may find them challenging. That's all the advice I can really think of right now.
Old 05-26-2009 at 10:56 PM   #17
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Some people are good with early mornings though! I used to work at nine on Wednesdays and had no issue getting up and into work on time. Last year I had to be at work at 7:45 at least once a week too.

I struggle more in classes between 3:30 and 5:30 than classes at 8:30 or 9:30.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-26-2009 at 10:56 PM   #18
KRan

Liked: 10 Times

Also make sure you notice what semester your classes are. You might think that you have a conflict between course A and course B, but course A is Term 1 and course B is Term 2.

Term 3 goes from September to April (not the summer).
Old 05-26-2009 at 11:21 PM   #19
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Some people are good with early mornings though! I used to work at nine on Wednesdays and had no issue getting up and into work on time. Last year I had to be at work at 7:45 at least once a week too.

I struggle more in classes between 3:30 and 5:30 than classes at 8:30 or 9:30.
Really? I guess it's just me then. I used to be able to wake up that early during high school or for work. At Mac, it was so difficult for me to wake up for my 8:30 classes. I had two alarms set and I would still sleep right through them. It was even worse when I wouldstay up late which wass most of the time. I think I may have insomnia or some other sleeping disorder. I don't sleep until my body literally gives in and then I can never wake up. :S
Old 05-27-2009 at 12:37 AM   #20
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

I find it much easier when I go to bed and wake up at approximately the same time every night (coincidentally what experts/physicians recommend), which makes early mornings easier.

Admittedly I'm not a fan of 8:30s, but I have no problems with 9:30s.

It also helped me some days if I didn't get up by x time I couldn't shower until mid-afternoon because my housemates apparently also needed to bathe.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-27-2009 at 12:55 AM   #21
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Yeah, I need to improve a lot of habits next year. I guess it also depends on where I end up living.
At first, I thought that I could take all my classes earlier in the day so I can be free in the afternoon to complete assignments and readings. I had a bunch of late nights and I realized that the only way I would make it to 8:30 class is to stay up until then. I would come back after all my classes were over and sleep.
So yeah, that probably screwed up my entire sleeping for the year. I am going to refrain from taking 8:30 classes next year and try to organize everything better so I can sleep early and wake up early, without having to take naps after classes.
Old 05-27-2009 at 02:16 AM   #22
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nino View Post
I realized that the only way I would make it to 8:30 class is to stay up until then.
I found out the same thing but for my 9:30 classes in first semester... I don't think I'm ever doing that again, I have to learn to make better choices. I'm sure it's very unhealthy. My 8:30 classes in second semester were really nice. Even if I only had 4 or 5 hours of sleep before hand, I had 3 hours after my morning class for a nice long nap.
Old 05-27-2009 at 06:25 AM   #23
PilotMal

Liked: 30 Times

Lucky for me, I'm an uber morning person xD
I have no issues with waking up at like, 5:30/6 lol. But I think a 9:30 class would be better than 8:30 - no need to rush things!

Hmm. Is there a place to view course offerings and times before SOLAR opens? I think I should be sifting through the listings now to make sure I get what I want lol.
Old 05-27-2009 at 09:18 AM   #24
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

The master timetable, which contains all the course times, is supposed to be out June 8th. Using this, you can plan out all your courses beforehand. Link: https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/ . It currently only contains summer school schedules.