MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Course Selection olive First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-02-2010 04:53 PM
Course Selection Maximas First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-30-2010 07:35 PM
Course Selection siefer1322 Academics 23 05-27-2009 09:18 AM
course selection jordanrogers Academics 2 05-05-2009 01:13 PM
course selection Griff Academics 1 08-02-2007 09:10 PM

Course Selection

Old 06-01-2010 at 03:36 PM   #1
10pauljuli

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Course Selection
I am starting Social Sciences next year and I eventually want to get into physical anthropology. Does anyone have any idea about what electives might be good to complement this field? I already know about 1Z03 but I was wondering if anyone has any insight into other courses that I should take that aren't necessarily specifically physical anthropology courses. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2010 at 05:06 PM   #2
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

I'm actually thinking of doing the same, but combining this field of anthropology with linguistics.

For courses related to physical anthropology, I'd say maybe one of the first-year biology classes, including 1M03 (Biodiversity and Evolution). However, 1Z03 does cover all the relevant material in terms of evolution, so maybe not.

Experience with archaeological classes might be handy for future endeavors in physical anthropology, as a portion of the research you will be doing will rely on archaeological investigations; as such, I would recommend taking some of the environmental/earth science classes, since that will eventually lead to being eligible for the "Geoarchaeology of the Underwater Realm" class in 3rd-year and, if you take the right courses, a possible minor in archaeology.

Outside of that, I think taking as many anthropology classes as you can would be the best course of action.

EDIT: Oh, and another archaeology-related class would be Classics 1A03 (Classical Archaeology), which, even if you don't take it as a supplement for physical anthropology, is still a class worth taking for any SocSci/Humanities student.
Old 06-02-2010 at 09:26 AM   #3
kunaltandan
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 4 Times

Take both the first year biology courses (1A03 and 1M03). They help a lot when you're dealing with both the biological and the evolutionary factors of some of the species. They especially help with Anthro 1Z03. Also, you're obviously taking another Anthro, right? 'Cause you need two Anthro's to get into Anthropology, to begin with.
Old 06-02-2010 at 09:42 AM   #4
erinn

Liked: 2 Times

I would recommend taking all three ANTHRO courses on this page

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1670.html

then checking out the upper year ANTHRO courses on this page.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1657.html
Old 06-02-2010 at 11:44 AM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunaltandan View Post
Take both the first year biology courses (1A03 and 1M03). They help a lot when you're dealing with both the biological and the evolutionary factors of some of the species. They especially help with Anthro 1Z03. Also, you're obviously taking another Anthro, right? 'Cause you need two Anthro's to get into Anthropology, to begin with.
Oh right, Bio 1M03 has a section that deals with human evolution.
Old 06-02-2010 at 01:17 PM   #6
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

Or, alternatively, you could buy the Biology 1M03 supplementary text "How Humans Evolved" and read it on your own, thus avoiding taking the entire course. (<---my course of action lol)
Old 06-02-2010 at 01:20 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmowen View Post
Or, alternatively, you could buy the Biology 1M03 supplementary text "How Humans Evolved" and read it on your own, thus avoiding taking the entire course. (<---my course of action lol)
Ah true, plus if papaconstantinou is still teaching that section then it's basically like reading the book.
Old 06-04-2010 at 07:24 PM   #8
10pauljuli

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Thanks everyone!
Old 06-07-2010 at 11:21 PM   #9
kohmx

Liked: 0 Times

Has anyone taken the Biochem 2EE3? Is that considered a birdcourse?
Old 06-07-2010 at 11:55 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohmx View Post
Has anyone taken the Biochem 2EE3? Is that considered a birdcourse?
Yes, extremely easy.