MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Daily game Sep 09 : Creepy Ranger TD Chad Daily Game 0 09-09-2011 04:11 AM
Any kind neighbour with a powerwasher? Melanieee General Discussion 9 06-09-2010 02:22 PM
The Hamilton Good Neighbour Campaign temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 0 11-21-2009 07:56 PM
How to Deal with Creepy Crawlies temara.brown Residence & Off-Campus Living 39 08-16-2009 09:28 AM

Creepy Neighbour

Old 02-04-2012 at 12:15 PM   #16
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Please overreact and either call the police, have somebody you know confront them, or just move.
Old 02-04-2012 at 12:56 PM   #17
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Instead of having a shirtless man open the door, have a shirtless woman open the door and he'll get the hint that you don't swing that way and cease his advances.

...or make him even more interested. I guess it's kinda a gamble.

icecubz, Snowman like this.
Old 02-04-2012 at 12:58 PM   #18
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Please overreact and either call the police, have somebody you know confront them, or just move.
How is having someone else talk to him an overreaction?
Old 02-04-2012 at 01:33 PM   #19
Circa

Liked: 160 Times

Of course you could always take the Homer Simpson approach to solving this problem:

Three simple words: "I am gay."
Old 02-04-2012 at 01:51 PM   #20
MasterFett
Account Locked

Liked: 31 Times

Don't move. You speak to your landlord about this.

You don't deserve to move.
Old 02-04-2012 at 02:44 PM   #21
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

call him with *63. breath heavily into the phone and dont say a word.

or

give him cookies, lace them with fish oil or laxatives of your choice.

or

sign him up for scientology missionaries.

or

tell him to save condoms and f*ck himself.

or

tell him this is not right and you don't want to take legal action but will if you have to.

realtalk.
Old 02-04-2012 at 03:33 PM   #22
bieneres

Liked: 2 Times

I would try talking to your landlord about it. Maybe they can handle the situation more anonymously and you can avoid a confrontation? Or perhaps there is another vacant apartment in the same building where your landlord can move you and create distance from this guy. Regardless, I would talk to them and see if they can help you in any way.
Also, you could talk to the people at the Off Campus Resource Centre about your problem, and maybe bring your lease if you signed one. They can help you know your rights as a tenant, and maybe arrange an alternate or temporary location for you to stay at.
There is also the Student Wellness Centre. They can help you through anxiety and other problems. I believe they have drop in hours, but you can also arrange an appointment with them.
You deserve to feel safe and relaxed in your own apartment. Please do something as soon as you can, and let us know how it goes.
Old 02-04-2012 at 05:38 PM   #23
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

I wouldn't suggest calling the cops. They can't actually do anything and will just be mad you wasted their time.

Paraphrased from Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: "its strange how the fear of offending can be greater then the fear of safety". As hard and awkward it would be to confront him that's by far the best way of going about it from what I can tell

Circa likes this.
Old 02-04-2012 at 07:56 PM   #24
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

Definitely bring this up with your landlord and if you do feel animosity or strong negative vibes coming from your neighbour afterward and you feel unsafe then do call the authorities or stay somewhere else. In my opinion it is much better to go with a gut feeling, it`s likely to be right.
Old 02-05-2012 at 04:50 AM   #25
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Not that it matters now, but did you accept the beer and food he gave you?

Maybe if you didn't accept his gifts from the beginning the situation would be different now, just maybe.
Old 02-06-2012 at 07:07 PM   #26
adrienne.b

Liked: 0 Times

ah that is really creepy, I used to work with a middle aged guy that i felt really uncomfortable around, i would definitely say nicely but directly that you are not interested in hanging out (maybe think of how you are going to phrase it before so you don't end up saying things that may give the wrong idea if he reacts differently than you expected) even though nothing threatening has happened yet still don't take your own safety lightly if he does do something that makes you really uncomfortable or looks like its going to turn into a bad situation/ he comes into your apartment or something i would likely call the police. i would continue what your doing make sure people in your life know about the situation and having friends stay over would likely help. overall as much as i would hate to have to move out of fear i would rather find a new place for next year than have to go through this again. Goodluck!!
Old 02-06-2012 at 07:15 PM   #27
adrienne.b

Liked: 0 Times

also i would make sure not to look like you are afraid of him, he is likely just a creepy but harmless man, but i would still stand up straight and be assertive even if you're not confrontational so that he knows that you can stand up for yourself