MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What kind of backpack to use? danzai First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 09-03-2010 09:58 PM
How to make Peepshi (a kind of sushi) lorend General Discussion 3 04-02-2010 09:39 AM
ELM protest .. kind of Kathy2 Computers & Tech 39 01-22-2010 09:16 PM
The Hamilton Good Neighbour Campaign temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 0 11-21-2009 07:56 PM
Engineering advice: What kind of marks should I aim for? kenvin100 Academics 4 09-05-2008 10:27 AM

Any kind neighbour with a powerwasher?

Old 06-07-2010 at 08:23 AM   #1
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Any kind neighbour with a powerwasher?
Hey everyone, anyone feeling generous enough to share their power washer and power washing skills? Or is there a place I can rent one?
Im just really sick of how disgusting my houses backyard, driveway, and recycling bins are... (previous people let them get dirty) and I know if they can get clean again... I will keep them clean..
/rant

Thanks!

Also side note.. I made the mistake of using a plastic bag for my green bin stuff and they didnt take it this morning, I had the intention of buying those biodegradable bags (just hadnt bought them yet, hence the idiotic plastic bag)... but does anyone know if they will accept a greenbin with biodegradable plastic bags in it? I dont wanna risk it again, these hamilton green bins dont have latches and I had to tape it down now that its not empty for the week.
Old 06-07-2010 at 11:02 AM   #2
Ender

Liked: 30 Times

I dont have a powerwasher but about the green bin stuff I'd suggest to read over this: Compostable Liners.

"If a collector sees a liner in a green cart that is not certified the cart will be tagged with an ‘oops’ sticker and left at the curb, as the quality of the final compost product is affected by non-certified liners."

What I do instead of using liners is just wrap the compost up in newspapers or flyers. Simpilest solution.

Melanieee says thanks to Ender for this post.
Old 06-08-2010 at 04:14 AM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

I tried to use biodegradable bags and they wouldnt take the bins.

Just use newspaper as mentioned. Its cheaper and it also doesn't accelerate the rotting thereby making things smelly...its what my parents have been doing at home for 15+ years.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-08-2010 at 06:37 AM   #4
kanthamd

Liked: 8 Times

You can probably rent a power washer at Home Depot or somewhere like that. Not sure how much it is but if you can't find someone, it's a good option.

Also, we used our green bin pretty heavily last year and never had a problem with the Glad compostable/biodegradable bags (they're light brown)

Last edited by kanthamd : 06-08-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-08-2010 at 07:00 AM   #5
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

thanks guys! im trying the newspaper thing and it seems like a great idea. and im gonna look at Home Depot too
Old 06-08-2010 at 09:24 AM   #6
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

What.... they always accept our biodegradable green coloured plastic bags. I thought the whole point of them was to put them in the green bin :s.
Old 06-08-2010 at 09:32 AM   #7
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
What.... they always accept our biodegradable green coloured plastic bags. I thought the whole point of them was to put them in the green bin :s.
We do this too, ours are brownish colour but it works fine.
Old 06-08-2010 at 10:15 AM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

You could always get up early and ask the green bin guys what works?
Old 06-09-2010 at 09:35 AM   #9
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
yea i prefer the idea of using bags, cause that way the big bin doesnt get totally nauseatingly disgusting... which it is already... yay
Old 06-09-2010 at 02:22 PM   #10
bieneres

Liked: 2 Times

We use these biodegradable lined paper bags in our green bin which i think we got from Canadian Tire.. not sure though. Anyways they do pick them up.