MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What kind of backpack to use? danzai First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 09-03-2010 09:58 PM
Any kind neighbour with a powerwasher? Melanieee General Discussion 9 06-09-2010 02:22 PM
How to make Peepshi (a kind of sushi) lorend General Discussion 3 04-02-2010 09:39 AM
Protesting the Protest! micadjems General Discussion 239 11-08-2009 11:04 PM
Engineering advice: What kind of marks should I aim for? kenvin100 Academics 4 09-05-2008 10:27 AM

ELM protest .. kind of

Old 01-21-2010 at 05:21 PM   #1
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

ELM protest .. kind of
I just got this email from the "F*** you ELM" Facebook group.

"Hey all. Monday February 1st, we are all going to email Sue Vajoczki and Ilene Busch-Vishniac voicing our feelings about elm. You can send your emails Sunday night or Monday morning. If their mailboxes are full, try again Tuesday, Wednesday, etc. until you don't feel like trying anymore.

This is a mandatory thing. If nobody does anything, nothing is going to change ever. If all of us speak out, there WILL be change in the future.

[email protected]
[email protected]

Using the points in the link below, compose a POLITE, well-thought-out email addressed to [email protected] and/or
[email protected], outlining your thoughts about elm. Keep it civil, this is a cyber-protest, not cyber-terrorism.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=app_23730 72738&gid=39723749016 1#/topic.php?uid=3972374 90161&topic=12113"

Old 01-21-2010 at 05:56 PM   #2
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

This is so stupid... Still have not had a problem with ELM, and am on it right now. It was bad first semester, and I know others have had problems toward the beginning of this one, but I'm pretty sure that's all behind us now.
Old 01-21-2010 at 06:05 PM   #3
ytpos
too poor to change this

Liked: 15 Times

it was slow to load this morning for me. by slow, i mean i waited five minutes, gave up and just closed it.
Old 01-21-2010 at 06:18 PM   #4
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 258 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
This is so stupid... Still have not had a problem with ELM, and am on it right now. It was bad first semester, and I know others have had problems toward the beginning of this one, but I'm pretty sure that's all behind us now.
no...there are still frequent problems with it, and it's unacceptable. If you haven't had any problems with it, that's good for you, but it's not like all the people complaining about it are making it up.
Old 01-21-2010 at 06:20 PM   #5
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
We get it... you aren't having problems... I'll bet you also s**t gold bricks... but the rest of us are having problems, so it's not stupid.
Old 01-21-2010 at 06:39 PM   #6
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

I requested on the discussion boards that a sample email be made up that others can modify slightly and send.

Perhaps we can get this on the front page when that happens/closer to?

I think it would be mucho beneficial if we're heard.
Old 01-21-2010 at 06:43 PM   #7
knox

It's already being adressed at prof meetings. Quit kicking the dead horse.

And why do students feel like its their job to protest the littlest things? Go draw a picture or something.

michelle says thanks to knox for this post.

michelle likes this.
Old 01-21-2010 at 06:47 PM   #8
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Not being able to submit assignments on time, or access lecture notes =! trivial
Old 01-21-2010 at 06:51 PM   #9
ytpos
too poor to change this

what's with the rude responses? if you don't like it, don't read it. they're just trying to help.
Old 01-21-2010 at 06:52 PM   #10
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
im pretty sure uve said on here b4 many times that u ARENT having probs... But.. MOST of us ARE..
Old 01-21-2010 at 07:21 PM   #11
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Ok, quite sorry if my post came out as rude or tried to imply that you guys aren't having legitimate problems. The person sitting beside me in lecture today could also get on fine at that point, and it seemed like everyone in my classes had printed lecture notes. From that I assumed that the problem was mostly behind us, and was manageable. If you guys still can't get on, well, that sucks. I'm pretty sure that was only my second post where I said I wasn't having problem, I'm hardly trying to brag about the fact that I've gotten apparently very lucky.

However, I still think the idea of trying to disrupt people who are working to make our education better is thoughtless, especially for a problem that they know exists/existed. They certainly don't want people to not be able to access material, what do you reasonably expect them to do? What is the goal of this?
Old 01-21-2010 at 07:29 PM   #12
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

that's pretty stupid.

the university won't don't do anything... unless students start to actually protest or raise their voices. Emails can be deleted with the click of a button.

its a business...

it sucks. but we as students don't really have much say. Its the MSU, and student organizations that need to step up and voice the problems of the student body. They are the ones that are directly in touch with the higher authority.

Mac is messing up... its not the school it used to be... its dropping in the rankings because of this nonsense....
Old 01-21-2010 at 07:45 PM   #13
danallan

Liked: 27 Times

i've NEVER had a problem with ELM..maybe you're all doing it wrong?

RTinkess31 likes this.
Old 01-21-2010 at 07:48 PM   #14
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by danallan View Post
i've NEVER had a problem with ELM..maybe you're all doing it wrong?
My god, you're right! All 2,500 of us in that Facebook group are doing it wrong, and you're the one person who's doing it right.

syan9184 likes this.
Old 01-21-2010 at 07:56 PM   #15
knox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
that's pretty stupid.

the university won't don't do anything... unless students start to actually protest or raise their voices. Emails can be deleted with the click of a button.

its a business...

it sucks. but we as students don't really have much say. Its the MSU, and student organizations that need to step up and voice the problems of the student body. They are the ones that are directly in touch with the higher authority.

Mac is messing up... its not the school it used to be... its dropping in the rankings because of this nonsense....
The university is actively trying to fix the problem. For what reason would the university not fix ELM when a majority of classes rely on it?

People need to calm down. If you can't access lecture notes, essay topics, or submit assignments, it's not your fault. It's not like your profs are going to fail you because ELM wasn't working -- and the fact that it's a known issue only helps you.

Spamming the hell out of some poor persons e-mail is only going to make getting to the actual problems more difficult. All you're doing is making someone at work have to read through hundreds of useless e-mails because he or she won't be able to just disregard them all. You're no better than the idiots who held up the 401.

michelle says thanks to knox for this post.

aya017, Charbs, michelle like this.