MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Refrigerator money toward a new server or 3 jackiemac Computers & Tech 5 07-15-2010 05:56 PM
MacInsiders Server Problems (and Solutions) deadpool Computers & Tech 28 03-10-2010 03:40 PM
Computer / CounterStrike Server For Sale!!! kevinf Gaming 0 07-27-2009 11:50 AM
UnivMail Server Down Temporarily kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 19 08-15-2008 04:45 PM

CS Server needs home in Keyes!

Old 07-28-2008 at 08:02 PM   #1
kevinf

Liked: 2 Times

CS Server needs home in Keyes!
MacLANClub needs your help!

Looking for a trustworthy individual to house a Counterstrike 1.6 dedicated server in their room in Mary E. Keyes. Preference to someone in a suite that is close to one of the common rooms, so if i need to do any small tweaks to the server, i can reach the secure wireless router, but any room in keyes is better then none.

Edit: please read my post below, specifically to note that NO monitor needs to be stored in your room.

Basic setup tree:
Wired connection in room --> CS Server (with 2 network cards) --> Router --> Your Computer(s)

The network bandwidth in Keyes is great, 100 Mbit connection. The CS server will not use up lots of network bandwidth, and it uses NO internet bandwidth.

What you get out of the deal, well for starters, wireless freedom in your suite for your laptop. Secondly if you are into Counter Strike, you can become a server admin so you can choose maps that you want to play, etc. Lastly, you get the great feeling of helping someone in need

If you are interested or have any questions, please email [email protected] osting.com or post here
-Kevin
MacLANClub
http://www.maclanclub.x10hos ting.com

Last edited by kevinf : 09-01-2008 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-11-2008 at 04:50 PM   #2
kenz

Liked: 0 Times

hey, ive been playing cs since 1.3! interested in lanning when the server is up.

im staying at woodstock
Old 08-28-2008 at 06:47 PM   #3
kevinf

It occured to me that i didnt mention this yet... only the computer tower and a keyboard need to be stored in your room. Its a completely self sufficient system, once the power is on, the game server is running and ready for action, no user input needed. The keyboard is just there for a failsafe.

Here is a picture of the server if your curious...
http://www.maclanclub.x10hos ting.com/server.jpg
Old 08-28-2008 at 07:25 PM   #4
kenz

you can host in my room if u want
Old 08-29-2008 at 06:10 PM   #5
Kay-Kay

i am also an old cs player

in woodstock

i am interested in helping out
Old 08-29-2008 at 07:27 PM   #6
kevinf

Alright, well I was concerned with the lack of excess room in non Keyes residence, but if your willing to host the server Kenz, that would be greatly appreciated.

Kay-Kay, thank you for the offer, but in fairness kenz beat you to it.

Looking forward to meeting you both at MLC's lan partie's. Also I will be hosting a table at Clubsfest sept 3rd if you feel like dropping by. Its inside/outside Student Center building from 9am to 3pm.

Lastly, to stay up to date, join the MLC mailing list for notifications of events.
www.maclanclub.x10hos ting.com

-Kevin
Old 08-30-2008 at 01:09 AM   #7
kenz

kay-kay, if you can do it please go ahead. thank you for the support!
Old 08-30-2008 at 02:29 AM   #8
Kay-Kay

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz View Post
kay-kay, if you can do it please go ahead. thank you for the support!

not too sure if i can really host the actual server in my room

cuz i am in double occu and not too sure if my roommate is fine with me hosting a server in room.

but i can surely help out with setting up and running the server as i had experience with it in the past.
Old 09-01-2008 at 10:44 AM   #9
kevinf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay-Kay View Post
but i can surely help out with setting up and running the server as i had experience with it in the past.
It can be slid under a bed, or desk and i made a conscious effort to curb the sound level by choosing the most silent harddrive i had available, and only 2 fans (cpu + psu).

Great to hear your interested in helping with administration... here are the server stats... once its up i can send you some intructions to login to adminmod

CS 1.6 Server: 500 Mhz Pentium 3 Intel, 512 MB ram, 20 GB hd, 32 MB ATI Radeon 7000 AGP 4X, Dual 100Mbit network. The server is running a barebone install of Ubuntu Server 8.04 (Linux), with MetaMod, AdminMod, and PodBot plugins
Old 09-01-2008 at 10:54 AM   #10
kenz

hey kevin, i spoke to my roommate. you can set it up in out room. woodstock 6th floor. let me know
Old 09-01-2008 at 11:16 PM   #11
kevinf

alright kenz, sounds good.

Please respond to my PM with the rest of the details. Thanks
-Kevin