MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
McMaster Walks Away from the Bargaining Table: CUPE 3906 On Strike 8am November 2nd dsahota MacInsiders Announcements 139 11-01-2009 05:08 PM
Table Tennis Club back in action Chad MacInsiders Announcements 4 07-04-2009 09:46 PM
Mac Insiders decides if I get in... Oilers Academics 17 06-11-2009 02:50 PM

CUPE Decides To Go Back To Table And Not Block Traffic

Old 11-02-2009 at 12:49 PM   #15
kleung

Liked: 57 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
whoa wait...what in hell is Strike-pay?!
Anyone picketing qualifies for $10/hr in strike pay from CUPE to a maximum of 20 hours a week.

At York (for example), when the strike concluded, the TAs made back 90% of all their back pay in addition to whatever strike pay they collected.

.... and they have the nerve call the scabbing TAs greedy.

Taunton, ~*Sara*~ like this.

Old 11-02-2009 at 04:35 PM   #16
webzn

Liked: 17 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleung View Post
Anyone picketing qualifies for $10/hr in strike pay from CUPE to a maximum of 20 hours a week.

At York (for example), when the strike concluded, the TAs made back 90% of all their back pay in addition to whatever strike pay they collected.

You mean they got paid their regular wages during striking after they returned from striking? This is such a slap in the face to us students.

DannyV, Maegs, Taunton like this.

Old 11-02-2009 at 04:39 PM   #17
kleung

Quote:
Originally Posted by webzn View Post
You mean they got paid their regular wages during striking after they returned from striking? This is such a slap in the face to us students.
That is my understanding from the CUPE literature, and what they have been telling us at the meetings.

Some TAs (myself included) are so disgusted by this, we are not only crossing the lines and keeping our tutorials and labs running, but we are also declining pay from the University.

It's our way of saying "screw you" to CUPE, while not letting them have the satisfaction of calling us greedy.

daisy, Kathy2, Taunton, ytpos all say thanks to kleung for this post.

Kathy2, Maegs, reeves, Taunton, webzn like this.

Old 11-02-2009 at 04:44 PM   #18
McIntyre

Liked: 173 Times
Quote:

Just a quick clarification - you have to picket for a minimum of 20 hours a week to get $200 that week. It's not strictly a $10/hour...you must picket for the minimum 20 hours to get any money and at that point you get the $200.

kleung says thanks to McIntyre for this post.

Old 11-02-2009 at 04:46 PM   #19
webzn

Quote:
That is my understanding from the CUPE literature, and what they have been telling us at the meetings.

Some TAs (myself included) are so disgusted by this, we are not only crossing the lines and keeping our tutorials and labs running, but we are also declining pay from the University.
That is disgusting. If I don't show up to work, I don't get paid. Furthermore, I get paid less than half of what a TA makes, for significantly greater amounts of stress.

Applause to TAs like you though, but, you guys who cross the line should still get paid.

Old 11-02-2009 at 04:49 PM   #20
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times
I don't think you guys should refuse pay from the University for doing your job. CUPE is just going to come up with other names for people "scabbing" if they can't legitimately call them greedy and they might still call you greedy. You deserve to be paid for working so please don't refuse payment just because CUPE are idiots.

Old 11-02-2009 at 04:51 PM   #21
kleung

Quote:
Originally Posted by webzn View Post
That is disgusting. If I don't show up to work, I don't get paid. Furthermore, I get paid less than half of what a TA makes, for significantly greater amounts of stress.

Applause to TAs like you though, but, you guys who cross the line should still get paid.

hummeld lays out his reasons for taking the moral high ground much more eloquently than I can in the link below.

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...2470 2&page=3

We can only hope that this will put pressure on the bargaining team to get off their high horse and have a look at the reality of the situation.

Old 11-02-2009 at 04:53 PM   #22
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
Quote:

Please make a separate thread about this? I don't think many students know. I think it's very very important.

Old 11-02-2009 at 05:58 PM   #23
webzn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Please make a separate thread about this? I don't think many students know. I think it's very very important.
It needs to be plastered on the front page.

daisy, Kathy2 like this.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search