MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
How to put a book on hold Fawkes Computers & Tech 2 02-02-2010 09:43 PM
Ratification Vote Result - Strike Over PTGregD MacInsiders Announcements 14 11-10-2009 01:14 AM
CUPE expects a "no" vote on offer Kathy2 General Discussion 35 11-09-2009 11:21 PM
CUPE email about vote Chad General Discussion 4 11-06-2009 09:50 PM
CUPE Members to vote on offer previously reject by the bargaining team DannyV General Discussion 13 11-05-2009 07:05 AM

CUPE will hold ratification vote

Old 11-05-2009 at 02:24 PM   #15
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummeld View Post
That's really unfortunate. I'm not very fond of the nested reply format of the bargaining blog because multiple conversations in the same comment thread become confusing (to me at least), but it was a good place to grab the attention of people in the know.
Yeah I hate the blog comments style too and much prefer the standard forum style of MI. I responded to your comment, hope I addressed most of your questions. I'm off to prepare for the tuition rally this afternoon (4:30pm at the Sterling lines).

Old 11-05-2009 at 04:28 PM   #16
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times
Just got this from the Biology Department, it has important information on where/when to vote:

CUPE has called for a ratification vote of the University's final offer. ALL members of the bargaining unit are eligible to vote for or against this offer--even if you are not a card-carrying union member. You can vote on Sunday at the Hamilton Convention Center, or on Monday at the CUPE office which is located opposite Metro Grocery Store in Westdale. The polls will be open 10-5 on Monday and after the CUPE Meeting on Sunday Night which starts at 4PM and will end around 7-8PM, and the University will be supplying shuttles to take students to and from the polling station on Monday. You will have to find your own way to the Convention Center for the Sunday voting. I urge you all to go and exercise your right as a member of this CUPE bargaining unit. You should also be aware that the final offer from the University will terminate on Tuesday next week. If the membership votes against this offer, then, the bargaining will start from scratch.

Last edited by Lij : 11-05-2009 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Changed the times.

DannyV, Taunton all say thanks to Lois for this post.

Taunton likes this.

Old 11-05-2009 at 06:07 PM   #17
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Being a news junkie myself I can attest to the fact that there is very little media coverage of this strike, with the exception of a few stories by the local paper/media.

There is definitely no news coverage by the major media outlets.

Nobody outside of western GTA/Hamilton (with the exception of student family members, other university admins and other unions) knows this is happening, and few within the western GTA/Hamilton even knows this is happening.
cp24, a major toronto news outlet had an article on it http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local.../?hub=CP24Home

but still, not much coverage outside Hamilton

Old 11-05-2009 at 06:24 PM   #18
dsahota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Just got this from the Biology Department, it has important information on where/when to vote:

CUPE has called for a ratification vote of the University's final offer. ALL members of the bargaining unit are eligible to vote for or against this offer--even if you are not a card-carrying union member. You can vote on Sunday at the Hamilton Convention Center, or on Monday at the CUPE office which is located opposite Metro Grocery Store in Westdale. The polls will be open 10-5 on both days, and the University will be supplying shuttles to take students to and from the polling station on Monday. You will have to find your own way to the Convention Center for the Sunday voting. I urge you all to go and exercise your right as a member of this CUPE bargaining unit. You should also be aware that the final offer from the University will terminate on Tuesday next week. If the membership votes against this offer, then, the bargaining will start from scratch.
This information is incorrect. The polls are only open after the general member's meeting on Sunday. The meeting starts after 4PM and will likely run until about 7-8PM. Voting will commence after the meeting is completed as per our bylaws.

The information about Monday's voting is correct, it will be from 10am-5pm at 17 Paradise Road S.

Jay: would you mind forwarding the email to me directly? We need the biology department to correct that information so people don't come on Sunday and get really upset that they can't vote until 8pm.

Lois says thanks to dsahota for this post.

Old 11-05-2009 at 06:27 PM   #19
dsahota

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post
cp24, a major toronto news outlet had an article on it http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local.../?hub=CP24Home

but still, not much coverage outside Hamilton
CBC was also on the lines taking footage on Monday and Tuesday. I didn't see the clips on the news though. They said they'd be back next week

Please also note that most media outlets only air a small fraction of what they shoot, so even if you only see a 30 second clip, that could easily have taken 30 minutes to an hour of my time to do.

Old 11-05-2009 at 06:31 PM   #20
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsahota View Post

Jay: would you mind forwarding the email to me directly? We need the biology department to correct that information so people don't come on Sunday and get really upset that they can't vote until 8pm.
Sure, PM me with your e-mail and I'll send it over.

Old 11-05-2009 at 08:09 PM   #21
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsahota View Post
CBC was also on the lines taking footage on Monday and Tuesday. I didn't see the clips on the news though. They said they'd be back next week

Please also note that most media outlets only air a small fraction of what they shoot, so even if you only see a 30 second clip, that could easily have taken 30 minutes to an hour of my time to do.
They may be present, but that doesn't mean they're "covering" the story. As you said, they often only air a small percentage of what they shoot. In this case, at least so far, CBC has not covered this story.

There has certainly been no coverage by any of the major outlets, including CBC, CTV or Global (CanWest).

As for that Toronto outlet, it's pretty much along the lines as what I would expect for the GTA... not much.

Old 11-05-2009 at 08:23 PM   #22
lsmith

Liked: 0 Times
Article Circulated in The Globe Mail - Please Read
This was also posted to the CUPE Bog - Revealing Article - Please take the time to read. Note the highlighted text.

I am pleased that finally the democratic opportunity to vote on the present contract is being offered to all members of CUPE 3906 and that full knowledge of meeting / vote time, date and place is being well publicized. This is the correct process.
Below is a article published Tuesday November 3rd of this week in the Globe and Mail. It certainly is thought provoking. Everyone, please take the opportunity to read.

Elizabeth Church
From Tuesday’s Globe and Mail Published on Tuesday, Nov. 03, 2009 8:33PM EST Last updated on Thursday, Nov. 05, 2009 2:23AM EST
The union local that shut down York University in one of the longest strikes in Canadian campus history has been taken over by the national executive because of “serious financial issues,” including a ballooning debt pegged at more than $1-million and a failure to keep adequate records.
The York local, which represents 3,300 contract faculty and teaching and research assistants, was placed under the administration of the national wing of the Canadian Union of Public Employees last week at the request of the local’s executive. A forensic audit is planned, as well as an investigation into charges of intimidation and harassment of local members.
The move comes as campuses across the country brace for what is shaping up to be a period of labour unease as universities look to cut costs in response to growing deficits. Teaching assistants at Hamilton’s McMaster University went on strike this week, and contract faculty at the University of Toronto will be in a strike position on Monday.
In Ontario, the York contract has long been seen as a benchmark for other campus negotiations. A failure by the local to get its financial house in order before its next round of bargaining in less than two years could weaken that position. Problems at the local also come as CUPE is hoping to increase its clout at the bargaining table by co-ordinating campus contracts. There are now 27 CUPE locals on Ontario campuses with contracts up for negotiations in 2010.
The troubles at the York local follow a bitter three-month strike that threatened the school year of more than 50,000 students before it was ended by the province in February with back-to-work legislation. A new local executive was voted into office after that dispute and soon discovered problems with the local’s accounting practices, including its strike records and receipts for expenses, according to an internal e-mail obtained by The Globe and Mail.
Last week that executive group voted to ask the national wing of the union to step in.
Lynn McDougall, appointed by the national union as administrator of the local, said the financial difficulties stem, in part, from the lengthy strike, but also involve “financial practices.”
“There are very serious financial issues,” she said in an interview yesterday. “There has been a great deal of speculation and certainly there is documentation that is lacking in several areas.”
Ms. McDougall said she also has received several reports of harassment and intimidation from local members since taking her post last week and will be examining those concerns.
A group of union members opposed to the move by the national union are attempting to take back control of the local.
Ms. McDougall said the national wing must get approval from the labour board to keep the local under administration for more than one year. “Administration in our minds is a very serious move and it takes very serious reasons for an executive to contemplate requesting it and for national to do it,” she said.
Ms. McDougall did not rule out the potential of wrongdoing, saying anything is possible, but that the audit will answer that question.
Maggie - November 5, 2009 at 6:42 pm

Taunton says thanks to lsmith for this post.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search