MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will they reject your offer if this happens? Sintos First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 23 06-12-2010 07:13 PM
CUPE expects a "no" vote on offer Kathy2 General Discussion 35 11-09-2009 11:21 PM
CUPE's Argument On Why TA/RAs Should Reject University Offer ramirez.a General Discussion 53 11-09-2009 09:37 PM
Censorship on the CUPE 3906 Unit 1 Bargaining Blog? hummeld General Discussion 151 11-03-2009 09:21 PM
McMaster Walks Away from the Bargaining Table: CUPE 3906 On Strike 8am November 2nd dsahota MacInsiders Announcements 139 11-01-2009 05:08 PM

CUPE Members to vote on offer previously reject by the bargaining team

Old 11-04-2009 at 06:55 PM   #1
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

CUPE Members to vote on offer previously reject by the bargaining team
http://unit1bargaining.wordp ress.c...ct-this-offer/

According to that they'll be holding the vote starting Sunday. It is imperative that members go and vote to actually have your voices heard.

Brothers and sisters opposed to the union's position, band together and show this bully that even though you can't choose to walk away from them you do have the conviction and resolve to make your voice heard! Solidarity comrades!

EDIT alright so apparently I can't spell "rejected" but you get the point.

daisy says thanks to DannyV for this post.
Old 11-04-2009 at 06:58 PM   #2
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Oh so they realized they were being unfair and that the picket turnouts were lame.

CUPE is of course recommending that members vote no and "stick it to the bully" so to speak.

Please just make sure you go out and vote either way if you're a member of the union, show that you actually care and want to have your voice heard.

I'm just glad they're allowing a ratification vote at all after that pathetic vote on a ratification vote they held last week without telling people about it.

daisy, Kathy2, talues like this.
Old 11-04-2009 at 06:59 PM   #3
talues

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post

Brothers and sisters opposed to the union's position, band together and show this bully that even though you can't choose to walk away from them you do have the conviction and resolve to make your voice heard! Solidarity comrades.
That part was probably unnecessary...

That being said, everyone should go out and vote. If you do not vote, then you really don't have the right to complain one way or another.

It's time to put an end to all this "Do the TAs support the contract?" debate and find out for certain!

daisy likes this.
Old 11-04-2009 at 07:01 PM   #4
DannyV
Elite Member

After seeing stuff like that written over and over and over and over in the posts made by union members on the blog, I guess it just stuck with me.
Old 11-04-2009 at 07:01 PM   #5
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

I think this vote should hopefully represent the true voices of TA's.

Encourage all TA's you know who are against the strike to vote.
Old 11-04-2009 at 07:03 PM   #6
DannyV
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
Encourage all TA's you know who are against the strike to vote.
Nay nay, encourage ALL TA's you know to vote.

I definitely don't agree with the union and even if the offer gets voted down I will not change my stance that they are students and can't expect to live and start a family on a student job. Nevertheless I would like to see exactly how many members don't want this offer.

daisy, J-Met, Kathy2 like this.
Old 11-04-2009 at 07:12 PM   #7
arathbon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
Nay nay, encourage ALL TA's you know to vote.

I definitely don't agree with the union and even if the offer gets voted down I will not change my stance that they are students and can't expect to live and start a family on a student job. Nevertheless I would like to see exactly how many members don't want this offer.
Doesn't change the people who i'm talking to.
Old 11-04-2009 at 08:00 PM   #8
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I hope the strike is over.
I'll stomach the two useless tutorials I have (out of 5) for GO Buses dropping us on campus.
There is nothing more infuriating than the puddles that pleasantly line your path while you're waiting for a bus that may stop +/- 1 meter from your position.
If they HAD to strike, couldn't both sides have cleared something with GO Transit to ensure that picketing would not impede traffic on that section of campus so that the GO could maintain timely service?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 11-04-2009 at 08:10 PM   #9
talues

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
I hope the strike is over.
I'll stomach the two useless tutorials I have (out of 5) for GO Buses dropping us on campus.
There is nothing more infuriating than the puddles that pleasantly line your path while you're waiting for a bus that may stop +/- 1 meter from your position.
If they HAD to strike, couldn't both sides have cleared something with GO Transit to ensure that picketing would not impede traffic on that section of campus so that the GO could maintain timely service?
Yeah, having the GO buses not stop on campus is certainly ballz, and while I'm not opposed to the stopping of car traffic, I feel that having the mass transit being affected by the strike in a negative manner is not in good spirit.

The reasoning behind it, at least as far as I understand, is that unions will not cross other unions picket lines. Since the bus drivers are unionized, they won't cross CUPE 3906's lines to drive on campus.
Old 11-04-2009 at 09:18 PM   #10
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by talues View Post
Yeah, having the GO buses not stop on campus is certainly ballz, and while I'm not opposed to the stopping of car traffic, I feel that having the mass transit being affected by the strike in a negative manner is not in good spirit.

The reasoning behind it, at least as far as I understand, is that unions will not cross other unions picket lines. Since the bus drivers are unionized, they won't cross CUPE 3906's lines to drive on campus.
Apparently GO transit's reasoning when you call them is that it could cause delays and whatnot.

Honestly though that temporary stop at Emerson and Main that GO buses and HSR buses are now using is a death trap waiting to happen. There are way, way, way too many students crossing over there and standing all over that one corner at any given time now since students waiting for multiple buses are crowding the stop at one time. The way students usually wait for the GO bus on the terminal platform at Mac isn't conducive to standing right on the edge of a busy city street. I genuinely feel like a student, or multiple students could get hurt if this goes on for much longer.
Old 11-04-2009 at 10:11 PM   #11
arathbon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talues View Post

I'm pretty sure if CUPE said "Hey ATU (amalgamated transit union) we use the buses too and we're cool with you crossing the pickets lets sit down with the University and figure something out" that they'd be fine with crossing.

They do it out of respect and solidarity, and I presume they'd respect CUPE's request to continue normal service.
Old 11-04-2009 at 10:58 PM   #12
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I think that when a union and university don't consider that impact on their students (which is completely unrelated to tutorials or any of their other demands) it reflects a real lack of empathy or understanding and just makes both parties look bad.

I know that there are bigger issues than "Where the commuters will stand" but when these are independent of issues being negotiated, the least both parties could do (to show that they really "do care" about their students) is work on these arrangements to minimize inconveniences.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 11-05-2009 at 06:11 AM   #13
benjs

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
I think that when a union and university don't consider that impact on their students (which is completely unrelated to tutorials or any of their other demands) it reflects a real lack of empathy or understanding and just makes both parties look bad.

I know that there are bigger issues than "Where the commuters will stand" but when these are independent of issues being negotiated, the least both parties could do (to show that they really "do care" about their students) is work on these arrangements to minimize inconveniences.
The truth is, without pressure from outside sources, both parties would be sitting in a room, and would be playing a normal game of chicken... the union saying "give us a better deal", and McMaster saying the same thing. It's the public exposure and pressure that helps this resolve. This summer I wanted to get my G2, but had my test booked for two days after the DriveTest strike was announced. That strike is still in place, and my personal belief is that it's largely due to the lack of press (or knowledge that there is a strike at all). My point is, if a strike isn't affecting the public, and thus the public doesn't speak up, the strike would have much less momentum (whether that's in the direction they want or not) towards a conclusion. There's my opinion anyways!
Old 11-05-2009 at 07:05 AM   #14
person33

Liked: 53 Times

i think people who were stuck on the qew yesterday know all about the drive test strike now (truckers had a slow rolling protest) anyways i hope that this strike is almost over so i can get some grades back