MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
SRA Humanities Update: November 2009 jmbauman MacInsiders Announcements 0 11-28-2009 09:54 AM
Term I Drop Date: November 17 2009 lorend MacInsiders Announcements 4 11-11-2009 09:36 PM
Frontline Update: November 2009 Steph.Lau MacInsiders Announcements 1 11-08-2009 02:38 PM
McMaster Walks Away from the Bargaining Table: CUPE 3906 On Strike 8am November 2nd dsahota MacInsiders Announcements 139 11-01-2009 05:08 PM

CUPE Meeting: 4PM November 1 2009

Old 11-01-2009 at 04:40 PM   #15
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times
Updates please!

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 11-01-2009 at 04:46 PM   #16
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times
the meeting started over 35 minutes late.

that's all I've got so far. I'm waiting on tips/ppl to update their Facebook statuses.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

goodnews.inc says thanks to lorend for this post.

Old 11-01-2009 at 04:47 PM   #17
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times
Maybe the meeting is still in session.

Old 11-01-2009 at 04:48 PM   #18
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
the meeting started over 35 minutes late.

that's all I've got so far. I'm waiting on tips/ppl to update their Facebook statuses.
Thanks Danielle
Do you know any reason why that happened?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 11-01-2009 at 04:56 PM   #19
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times
Nope, no idea. Still waiting on other updates...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 11-01-2009 at 07:33 PM   #20
jordanrogers

Liked: 1 Time
sooo did they vote and reject it? or was the voting rejected? sorry i am confused lol!

Old 11-01-2009 at 07:39 PM   #21
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanrogers View Post
sooo did they vote and reject it? or was the voting rejected? sorry i am confused lol!
This is what I would like to know.

Did a vote happen? (someone said earlier this would be against CUPE's own bylaws) If it did, was it rejected? (the update would indicate yes)

Was the idea of letting membership vote rejected?

If a vote occurred, was it actually against CUPE's bylaws?

Also did enough people show up to the meeting to make the vote even legitimate (in the eyes of people, not necessarily based on what CUPE says)?

Old 11-01-2009 at 07:43 PM   #22
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
I couldn't make it on short notice unfortunately...got a pretty tough assignment due tomorrow. ):

I'll post any updates I'm getting by email.

Old 11-01-2009 at 10:44 PM   #23
ali11

Liked: 7 Times
hey guys.. i don't want to post comments from the unit 1 blog here, so i'll just post a link. a member there has summarized the events of the meeting.
take it all with a grain of salt (the same goes for the university's postings). people on both sides are being biased, as i'm sure everyone here is aware.

but yeah. check out the posting by Max...
http://unit1bargaining.wordp ress.c...-gym/#comments

Old 11-01-2009 at 10:55 PM   #24
jmbauman
Union Market Manager
SRA Member

Liked: 32 Times
It was announced during the SRA meeting that 91 members voted in favour of the university's offer, with 199 rejecting it.

So hurray, strike! McMaster Daily has updated their site stating what distrubances will be occuring etc.

Old 11-01-2009 at 10:57 PM   #25
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times
woooah.. woooooah. hold up a minute. Stepping back a couple posts in that blog. Am I reading this right? They voted on whether or not they should have a vote? And the vote turned down the vote?

Old 11-01-2009 at 11:02 PM   #26
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
woooah.. woooooah. hold up a minute. Stepping back a couple posts in that blog. Am I reading this right? They voted on whether or not they should have a vote? And the vote turned down the vote?
Yes, CUPE allowed the membership to vote, and I must say that I appreciate it.

Now, let's not forget that it was a relatively small percentage who actually voted (albeit this is a problem across the campus), and it was primarily grad students. The undergraduate TA voice really wasn't heard (although that's not entirely CUPE's fault, apart from calling the meeting last minute). I wish students cared more about important things in general.

I seriously believe that if more TA's showed up (esp. the undergrads) we may have seen a different outcome.

Again, I must say that CUPE took a step in the right direction in offering an opportunity for the membership to vote, even if they didn't all take advantage of it.

Oh, and Callen, I believe you owe the MSU VP Education an apology, as he had his facts 100% straight from the beginning.

kleung likes this.

Old 11-01-2009 at 11:13 PM   #27
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times
Ahhh, I dunno. sure, they allowed a bit of democracy, but it was all just a little bit self-serving. Call a meeting on extremely short notice, where Undergrads (the population that makes a difference) can't necessarily get out of doing work on such short notice, especially on a Sunday (albeit not at the WORST time on a Sunday) when stuff is due the next day, and a large majority of people may have gone home. On top of that, I believe the vote was just a vote on whether or not they should actually hold a vote... I know that description sounds messed up, but so does the idea. I could be wrong, but that is what I understood from that blog.

Taunton likes this.

Old 11-01-2009 at 11:44 PM   #28
AYuen

Liked: 41 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbauman View Post
It was announced during the SRA meeting that 91 members voted in favour of the university's offer, with 199 rejecting it.

So hurray, strike! McMaster Daily has updated their site stating what distrubances will be occuring etc.
Don't quote me on this, because I also couldn't make the meeting on such short notice, but I believe the vote was actually a 'vote on whether or not to put the offer to a vote from the whole membership'. i.e. follow what the exec/bargaining team suggests directly, or ask the TA's directly what they think of the university's offer.

In other words, 91 people just wanted the TA's to decide for themselves, and 199 thought it was either a waste of time to even ask them (or just really wants to picket).

Old 11-01-2009 at 11:54 PM   #29
hummeld

Liked: 28 Times
I posted this in another thread. Maybe I meant to post it here and made a mistake. Oh well, copy paste:

Just in the interests of clarification, at the general membership meeting this afternoon a vote was held to determine if the membership should perform a ratification vote on McMaster's last offer.

Article 9c of the local bylaws states that 24 hours notice must be given for an emergency meeting. The meeting occured at 4:00 PM this afternoon in the Burridge Gymnasium, and I received an email at 3:54 PM yesterday saying that a meeting would be occuring at some time and place (not specified).

Article 9c also states that the subject to be discussed must be included in the notice of the meeting. The emails that I recieved stated the purpose of the meeting will be to discuss issues pertaining to the upcoming strike action. I did not recieve any communication from the union stating that a vote on whether or not to pursue ratification would be occuring. The executive, however, had presentation slides prepared in advance detailing what we were voting on (i.e. a motion on whether or not to pursue ratification).

It came up at the start of the meeting that what was occuring was in violation of Article 9c, however the chair of the session (from a different local) stated that all requirements of Article 9c were met.

I agree that the "letter of the law", as it were, of Article 9c were followed. However, I have reservations that what occured was within the spirit of the law, but that's just my opinion and obviously not an objective fact.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search