MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
SRA Humanities Update: November 2009 jmbauman MacInsiders Announcements 0 11-28-2009 09:54 AM
Term I Drop Date: November 17 2009 lorend MacInsiders Announcements 4 11-11-2009 09:36 PM
Frontline Update: November 2009 Steph.Lau MacInsiders Announcements 1 11-08-2009 02:38 PM
McMaster Walks Away from the Bargaining Table: CUPE 3906 On Strike 8am November 2nd dsahota MacInsiders Announcements 139 11-01-2009 05:08 PM

CUPE Meeting: 4PM November 1 2009

Old 11-02-2009 at 12:02 AM   #30
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
I wish students cared more about important things in general.

I seriously believe that if more TA's showed up (esp. the undergrads) we may have seen a different outcome.
It's unfortunate that they called it on such short notice because I had explicitly planned out my weekend:

Saturday: Take the siblings trick or treating
Sunday: Work on my assignment (due tomorrow)

By the time I found it, it was late Saturday night...and as much as I wanted to support this cause, I couldn't neglect my own studies. Not to mention, it was All Saints Day.

I definitely think there would have been a different voice if more notice were given...what, 300 votes were cast, ish? Out of 2000 ish? 15% voter turnout is pretty pitiful...particularl y since the TAs who are angry and want to strike are probably like 10x more likely to show up.

Taunton likes this.

Old 11-02-2009 at 12:13 AM   #31
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times
Not to sound like I'm not serious about this but, to slightly lighten the mood: 3 days boys and girls... REMEMBER.. REMEMBER.. The FIFTH of NovEMBER! (Oh how fitting a story that is to this situation)

Old 11-02-2009 at 12:15 AM   #32
hummeld

Liked: 28 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
Not to sound like I'm not serious about this but, to slightly lighten the mood: 3 days boys and girls... REMEMBER.. REMEMBER.. The FIFTH of NovEMBER! (Oh how fitting a story that is to this situation)
I don't understand. Are you going to try to blow something up?

Old 11-02-2009 at 12:32 AM   #33
mike_302
Elite Member

ahahaha, nono. I am talking about the REAL idea behind the story: Large crowds of the people need to stand up for what they believe in for democracy to work. Or, if the MAJORITY of TA's went to work tomorrow, then the union can't fight for anything. It will be forced to give up it's one-track mind on "strike only", and either take a vote, or go ahead and accept the latest agreement by the school.

Old 11-02-2009 at 12:37 AM   #34
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
ahahaha, nono. I am talking about the REAL idea behind the story: Large crowds of the people need to stand up for what they believe in for democracy to work. Or, if the MAJORITY of TA's went to work tomorrow, then the union can't fight for anything. It will be forced to give up it's one-track mind on "strike only", and either take a vote, or go ahead and accept the latest agreement by the school.
Was that an Obama reference (with the 5th)?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 11-02-2009 at 12:38 AM   #35
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Was that an Obama reference (with the 5th)?
V for Vendetta...which involved an uprising. (He's saying there should be an uprising on campus...which is why it's fitting).

Old 11-02-2009 at 07:35 AM   #36
mike_302
Elite Member

bbahaha, you said uprising not me

Old 11-02-2009 at 09:07 AM   #37
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times
Quote:

Oh, and Callen, I believe you owe the MSU VP Education an apology, as he had his facts 100% straight from the beginning.
No I won't apologize because he did not have his facts straight. A vote on the final offer did not and could not have happened. A motion was brought to consider a ratification vote on the offer at a later time. The VP Ed made it seem in his statement that the membership could be voting on the actual agreement and that strike action could be averted because of this.

Old 11-02-2009 at 09:44 AM   #38
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
V for Vendetta...which involved an uprising. (He's saying there should be an uprising on campus...which is why it's fitting).
Which is (loosely) based on the actual events of the Gunpowder Plot in England in 1605. Guy Fawkes (which is the mask that V wears in V for Vendetta) along with other conspirators tried to blow up the houses of Parliament, but were caught. There's still celebrations on Guy Fawkes Night, or Bonfire Night (Nov 5) today, with Guys being burnt in effigy.

Old 11-02-2009 at 09:54 AM   #39
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:callen:. View Post
No I won't apologize.
Whatever. It's your loss.

Old 11-02-2009 at 10:51 AM   #40
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times
Quote:
Whatever. It's your loss.
I really don't see how its my loss at all. I contacted Chris about it and he apologized.

Taunton, you really need to stop being so inflammatory. Of course it's perfectly fine to have your opinion but you don't have to be so insulting about the way you convey your points.

This is especially bad since you're an SRA member and when you speak on these forums you speak as a representative of the MSU and your constituents. By all means, convey your opinion, its great for fostering debate but don't be so condescending towards the other side and don't insult people who don't share your opinion.

Lois likes this.

Old 11-02-2009 at 10:55 AM   #41
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times
Quote:
Taunton, you really need to stop being so inflammatory. Of course it's perfectly fine to have your opinion but you don't have to be so insulting about the way you convey your points.

This is especially bad since you're an SRA member and when you speak on these forums you speak as a representative of the MSU and your constituents. By all means, convey your opinion, its great for fostering debate but don't be so condescending towards the other side and don't insult people who don't share your opinion.
Thanks for your opinion. It's noted.

I've recieved plenty of support for my opinions and the way I'm doing my job, especially concerning the strike. I will not be changing the way that I work.

Thanks though.

Jake likes this.

Old 11-02-2009 at 11:13 AM   #42
Matt Wright

Liked: 49 Times
Be informed.
http://www.mcmaster.ca/senate/student/stoppage.htm

.:callen:. says thanks to Matt Wright for this post.

Old 11-02-2009 at 11:54 AM   #43
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times
Quote:
No I won't apologize because he did not have his facts straight. A vote on the final offer did not and could not have happened. A motion was brought to consider a ratification vote on the offer at a later time. The VP Ed made it seem in his statement that the membership could be voting on the actual agreement and that strike action could be averted because of this.
A vote on whether or not to have an official ratification vote may not be exactly the same but it is just as important and very similar. It stands to reason that all those who voted against having a ratification vote voted this way because they don't like the University's offer and don't want it accepted. Those who voted for a ratification vote it stands to reason may want to accept the offer and thus voted to give themselves and others the opportunity to do so. Its simply a matter of wording that you blew out of proportion and make accusations based on.

Stop telling other people not to be inflammatory when you're just as bad if not worse, you're just on the opposite side of the fence is all.

Taunton says thanks to sew12 for this post.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search