MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
@muss.cis.mcmaster.ca vs @mcmaster.ca KMoney First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-13-2010 06:04 PM
The Curse is Upon Us: Charity Ball 2010 zaverim MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-23-2010 09:54 PM

The Curse of McMaster

Old 06-21-2011 at 02:26 PM   #1
missscarlett

Liked: 9 Times

The Curse of McMaster
Apparently every time my dad tells someone I decided to go to Mac, they burst out laughing and proceed to tell him that that's the worst decision I'll ever make.

What is up with that?? Does Mac have some horrible reputation that I haven't heard about? I mean, it's a little late for me to back out now, but I'd love to know...

Scuderia likes this.
Old 06-21-2011 at 02:31 PM   #2
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

The only bad reputation it may have is its technology. MUGSI and SOLAR are ancient compared to the registration and student systems that other universities have.
Old 06-21-2011 at 02:32 PM   #3
sf

Liked: 36 Times

I had the same issue with people laughing at me for going to Mac...but it had to due with Hamilton's reputation, not the reputation of the school.

missscarlett says thanks to sf for this post.

bloodywarz, Ish001, Scuderia like this.
Old 06-21-2011 at 02:33 PM   #4
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

This happens to me a lot too. I don't understand it. I get it a lot from my brother and his girlfriend, but they went to Queen's so it's just common knowledge that they're going to be conceited jerks.

Old 06-21-2011 at 02:40 PM   #5
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Ignorant people with nothing better to do.

DMe3, Ish001, L'Étoile, mally like this.
Old 06-21-2011 at 02:43 PM   #6
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
The only bad reputation it may have is its technology. MUGSI and SOLAR are ancient compared to the registration and student systems that other universities have.
At least that sets us apart and makes Mac unique!

I've only ever heard good things about Mac, so I'm not sure why people laugh, either.
Old 06-21-2011 at 03:17 PM   #7
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

People laugh because it is the worst decision you'll ever make.

Old 06-21-2011 at 03:18 PM   #8
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

I guess it depends on the standards of your dad's friends ~__~
when my parents tell their friends, they're usually surprised/impressed because their kids ended up going to lakehead/brock. there are worse schools out there, trust me. my highschool teachers always used to make fun of carlton/trent/lakehead.

in the end, it doesn't matter what those adults say, because all the students who come to visit mac's campus are impressed are they not?

Eternal Fire, missscarlett all say thanks to anon491 for this post.

AmyLia, lizziepizzie, mally like this.
Old 06-21-2011 at 03:22 PM   #9
Willmountain
Master and Commander

Liked: 69 Times

The only thing bad about this school is the technology. It's not just ancient... We haven't even invented the wheel yet.

Other than that. we don't have anything that everyone knows about our school. We're not a huge party school like Western and Queens, our reputation isn't as high as a place like Toronto and McGill, which I'm fine with, and other than that, I think we're in that next level. I came here partially because there wasn't a specific identity to the school. It's just a place to get an education, and that's exactly what I wanted. Every time I visit Queens or Western it seems so... happy go lucky and full of spirit, and maybe it's just be, but it creeps me out a little...

That being said, I and many people I've talked to respect McMaster. It isn't the flashiest at all, but maybe that's what sets it apart? The people who laugh are ignorant and full of themselves. My friends think Mac is great whenever they come visit, and my family and friends respect my decision to come here.

missscarlett says thanks to Willmountain for this post.

Old 06-21-2011 at 03:23 PM   #10
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Everyone I ask says mac is one of the best for science, so no, I don't hear anything.
Old 06-21-2011 at 03:24 PM   #11
Willmountain
Master and Commander

Liked: 69 Times

Also, to the OP. Your signature made me lol very... very hard.

But there's also a universe that now exists where I didn't lol... Ohhhhh quantum physics, how I love you.

MacPack, missscarlett like this.
Old 06-21-2011 at 03:31 PM   #12
karna

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by missscarlett View Post
Apparently every time my dad tells someone I decided to go to Mac, they burst out laughing and proceed to tell him that that's the worst decision I'll ever make.
maybe their kids are in MIT or Harvard
Old 06-21-2011 at 03:32 PM   #13
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Mac is homey. I like it. It's a comforting campus. Perfect balance of natural beauty and new architecture. I also don't know why people would laugh at the OP, her being a prospective iSci, for coming to Mac. This is one of the best schools to come to for science, as well as religion, philosophy, fine arts, and a lot more.

Don't listen to Queens students/alumni because, jokes apart, they actually have the biggest egos you will ever see.

Don't listen to UofT kids because a good chunk of their school pride is a defence mechanism for the fact that their institution doesn't give a rat's ass about its undergrads and they're usually lonely (it's such a big school)

Don't listen to kids from Western cause...well, it's Western.

TL; DR THIS SCHOOL IS AWESOME AND FYI, QUEENS HAS SHITTY TECHNOLOGY TOO. EVERYONE CAN REJOICE

Old 06-21-2011 at 04:04 PM   #14
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post

Don't listen to kids from Western cause...well, it's Western.
what do you mean by that?
Old 06-21-2011 at 04:11 PM   #15
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastergcdb View Post
what do you mean by that?
What she meant was "F*ck Western".