MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
@muss.cis.mcmaster.ca vs @mcmaster.ca KMoney First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-13-2010 06:04 PM
The Curse is Upon Us: Charity Ball 2010 zaverim MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-23-2010 09:54 PM

The Curse of McMaster

Old 06-22-2011 at 12:41 AM   #46
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

P.S People need to stop comparing Hamilton to Toronto. TORONTO IS THE ONLY FUN PLACE IN CANADA BESIDES MONTREAL. EVERYTHING IS JUST NATURAL BEAUTY AND THE OCCASIONAL JAR OF MAPLE SYRUP.

Because by that comparison, nothing is good enough. Hamilton is a university town and despite that there is still a lot to do. Can't find anything in the city? Bro, you live like right in the middle of everything in terms of commute. Get on the GO and travel to Toronto if you want.

FYI, all university towns are like this.

Last edited by AelyaS : 06-22-2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old 06-22-2011 at 12:42 AM   #47
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

Aelyas, just wanted to let you know that everytime I look at your profile pic, I think it is a girl dress for a grad or something. It wasn't until I looked real close and realized it was a cat. Pretty cool. lol

MichaelScarn, MirandaC like this.
Old 06-22-2011 at 12:43 AM   #48
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeboi7 View Post
Aelyas, just wanted to let you know that everytime I look at your profile pic, I think it is a girl dress for a grad or something. It wasn't until I looked real close and realized it was a cat. Pretty cool. lol

omg i'm crying

this is the best post ever

lmaaaoooooooo

eet ze smarties
mmmmmm dileeshus
Old 06-22-2011 at 12:44 AM   #49
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
P.S People need to stop comparing Hamilton to Toronto. TORONTO IS THE ONLY FUN PLACE IN CANADA AFTER MONTREAL. EVERYTHING IS JUST NATURAL BEAUTY AND THE OCCASIONAL JAR OF MAPLE SYRUP.

Because by that comparison, nothing is good enough. Hamilton is a university town and despite that there is still a lot to do. Can't find anything in the city? Bro, you live like right in the middle of everything in terms of commute. Get on the GO and travel to Toronto if you want.

FYI, all university towns are like this.
Agreed. But Montreal is just so much damn cooler than Toronto.

J. Dorey, tiger like this.
Old 06-22-2011 at 02:07 AM   #50
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

The point someone made about people having a negative opinion of Hamilton being confused with Mac is certainly true from according the the MSU 2011 Your City Survey(Sample Size of 900ish so very legit).

One of the questions was a two part with first saying how likely are you to promote or recommend McMaster to your social networks and the second was city of Hamilton to the same social networks.

The numbers were 30% Detractors, 38% Neutral and 32% Promoters for McMaster
And were 54% Detractors, 17% Promoters and 29% Neutral for Hamilton as a City.

Even most people from Ontario often have the same perception of Hamilton because for alot of them they've simply seen a tiny snapshot of the city from the Skyway Bridge on their way to Niagara Falls. If you are comparing Hamilton to Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver it definitely doesn't match up in terms of things to do, but I don't believe any other university town(even Kingston and London) can match upto Hamilton in terms of cultural and especially natural diversity.

And as for the thread itself, OP the ISci program is absolutely groundbreaking and one of it's kind in the country, I don't see how/why they can say you made a terrible decision.

As for MUGSI/SOLAR it doesn't have any direct implications on your quality of education, but even that is going to change in the next year or two; As I've mentioned in other threads over the last few weeks being the student representative on the Systems Renewal Committee: Mac has finally invested $30 Mil into upgrading our IT Infrastructure last year and the long term project will bear fruit with an updated registration system at best by Summer 2012 or at most Summer 2013.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Eternal Fire, missscarlett, xFLY all say thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.
Old 06-22-2011 at 02:25 AM   #51
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

The thing about all of the complaints against Hamilton, I believe, are unwarranted. I have lived here my whole life, and would absolutely recommend it. Sure, the Downtown Core can be pretty sketchy, but then again, so is Toronto's past a certain point. Yes, the area around Stelco (yes, I still call it Stelco) and Dofasco are "dirty", but what did you expect from an industrialization town? For years they were the pride of Hamilton, and they're the majority of the reason Hamilton has been able to sustain itself over the years (before the move to the sciences under McGuinty). The interesting thing about Hamilton is the culture. It has an incredible art scene that is often under-appreciated by the younger generations. There's a bunch of places that lesser known, yet still good, bands play (e.g. Casbah) and quite a few notable bands have came from here; does everyone forget about The Reason and Arkells, to name a few? The culture and art scene in Hamilton is absolutely incredible. Also, although I have not seen all of them, Hamilton is now marketed as the "City of Waterfalls", seeing as we have over 100 of them. So, adding on to the great arts scene, we have the extraordinary natural aspect, including Cootes Paradise and the Bruce Trail, where most of the waterfalls are found (the Devil's Punchbowl is pretty cool). Therefore, I am convinced that any negativity towards this city come from people who are either looking for the big city life (Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal), or from people who just have not explored Hamilton for one reason or another. Like I said, there is lots here. Just go out and look people!

anon491, Geek, MacPack, soltintal like this.
Old 06-22-2011 at 03:24 AM   #52
Sheikia

Liked: 15 Times

I'd just like to add that I am currently in Italy working for a biomedical research company. The company works in a huge bio-industry park with about 30 other companies. Anytime I mention I'm from Ottawa, people say "where's that? Is is close to Toronto?" :/ But when I say I go to McMaster, they say: "Oh that's the university with the Reactor! That's so cool that you go there. Good for you"

Old 06-22-2011 at 03:39 AM   #53
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
I'm not saying that solely based on downtown Hamilton. I have seen of Hamilton more than most students have. Being an international student, I didn't have the chance to go back home many weekends like a lot of mac students did. Instead, I stayed in Hamilton all year round and had to find things to do there. So I got to explore the nature of the city quite a bit. That's how I find it's not a great place, at least to me. It's basically a dead place. Not much going on etc.
It depends on where you came from. Yes, there isn't much to do here - but I equate that more to the country than the town. I haven't been around much, granted, but there's still an idyllic touch to Canada that I haven't experienced in any of the other countries I've been to. But that's just my opinion.

Quote:
....who the hell doesn't know McMaster?

Like, if someone asked me three years back if i had heard of Mount Allison U, I would have looked at them strangely (its a real place, btw, somewhere in Canada, maybe built inside a salt mine, who knows)

But Mac?

I think you met some French hicks
I've heard of Mount Allison U! It's the number one undergrad-only college in Canada for several years straight. There was a time after the acceptance letters but before visiting Mac when I wished I'd gone there (though it was never a viable option).

But yeah, I'm surprised people haven't heard of Mac. To be honest, before I came here, I hadn't heard of Queens (except from Anne of Green Gables) or Western or Laurier or - well, how to put it, I'd only heard of UofT, Waterloo, Carleton, McGill and of course Mac. And York, too.

AelyaS, tiger like this.
Old 06-22-2011 at 07:30 AM   #54
tiger
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
It depends on where you came from. Yes, there isn't much to do here - but I equate that more to the country than the town. I haven't been around much, granted, but there's still an idyllic touch to Canada that I haven't experienced in any of the other countries I've been to. But that's just my opinion.

I've heard of Mount Allison U! It's the number one undergrad-only college in Canada for several years straight. There was a time after the acceptance letters but before visiting Mac when I wished I'd gone there (though it was never a viable option).

But yeah, I'm surprised people haven't heard of Mac. To be honest, before I came here, I hadn't heard of Queens (except from Anne of Green Gables) or Western or Laurier or - well, how to put it, I'd only heard of UofT, Waterloo, Carleton, McGill and of course Mac. And York, too.
I agree with you there. After a while, I came to realize that it's the country, like you say. Not to say Canada isn't a cool place but it simply isn't lively, vibrate and/or charming. Except for some places like Montreal. But then again, it all comes down to what you're looking for. For some it's just the perfect place to be at.
Old 06-22-2011 at 07:36 AM   #55
Willmountain
Master and Commander

Liked: 69 Times

I love Hess village. Nothing like it in Toronto, imo. Just awesome.

Hamilton really grew on me in the last year. It took some exploring but the city is on its way up out of the gutter. The identity is changing, and I like it. 20 years from now and I'm thinking it'll be a new student town a la Waterloo etc.
Old 06-22-2011 at 07:48 AM   #56
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

Quote:
....who the hell doesn't know McMaster?

Like, if someone asked me three years back if i had heard of Mount Allison U, I would have looked at them strangely (its a real place, btw, somewhere in Canada, maybe built inside a salt mine, who knows)

But Mac?

I think you met some French hicks
haha agreed. A lot of them were from the Maritimes, if that means anything.... lol
Old 06-22-2011 at 09:45 AM   #57
SydWidgets
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 16 Times

are you sure your parents friends aren't questioning your degree choice? For most ppl in science it's either doctor or not a freaking clue, whereas areas of study such as engineering and commerce give the perception of an end goal.

even if that is the case fck em', you're here for you, and as long as you have a reasonable goal in mind, its your choice at the end of the day.
Old 06-22-2011 at 09:53 AM   #58
soltintal

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
Not to say Canada isn't a cool place but it simply isn't lively, vibrate and/or charming.
i'm just curious exactly how much of Canada have you travelled that you are able to make these statements? And where are you from so that we can understand your idea of what a "lively, vibrate [sic] and/or charming"country is?

i'm thinking that it may also be a difference of opinion as far as what constitutes "fun". having grown up in hamilton, the big thing here ISN'T to hang around the city so much as to grab a bunch of friends and go to say, lake erie and renting jet skiis or go up to sauble and wasaga for the may 24 knowing full-well that it's likely going to rain and you'll freeze (it's considered part of the adventure). when you're a bit older, it becomes "going to the cottage" or if you're IN hamilton - taking your boat out in the harbour, going to local festivals, etc.

and in winter... you make bigs vats of chili and invite friends over to watch sports. LOL

so in that light - maybe hamilton doesn't fit what you're looking for. i still disagree about your statement re: Canada. :o)

Last edited by soltintal : 06-22-2011 at 10:26 AM.

anon491 likes this.
Old 06-22-2011 at 03:20 PM   #59
MirandaC

Liked: 41 Times

I think people forget Hamilton is a city with things to do like any other. They just picture some dirty back alley. In my opinion, Kingston would be a horrible place to be. It did not feel like a city and I have nothing against stores that sell bongs but there were three on the main street...that is kind of weird. One of them boasted that they sell salvia too. I just think that is kind of odd even if it is legal.
Old 06-22-2011 at 04:33 PM   #60
Mohit
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 25 Times

atleast we are not near a jail

MrkNlp, Sheikia like this.