MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
@muss.cis.mcmaster.ca vs @mcmaster.ca KMoney First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-13-2010 06:04 PM
The Curse is Upon Us: Charity Ball 2010 zaverim MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-23-2010 09:54 PM

The Curse of McMaster

Old 06-22-2011 at 05:34 PM   #61
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Seriously don't know why people don't realize how sketch and boring Kingston can be.
Just the name of Queens gives it a massive boost, but that's it. The only redeeming quality of that university is that they're practically on a lake. You can grab your books and a blanket and go read by the water

~swoon
Old 06-22-2011 at 07:44 PM   #62
dquest

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
....who the hell doesn't know McMaster?

Like, if someone asked me three years back if i had heard of Mount Allison U, I would have looked at them strangely (its a real place, btw, somewhere in Canada, maybe built inside a salt mine, who knows)

But Mac?

I think you met some French hicks

I'm coming to mac this september (from alberta), and i find that no one from outside of ontario really knows mcmaster. Basically the only people who know what/where it is, are people who go/have gone to school in ontario...the OOP % of mac is like 2%....=.="

it gets so tiring explaining to people what it is...and what my program is...lol

Biochem47 says thanks to dquest for this post.
Old 06-22-2011 at 08:40 PM   #63
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dquest View Post
I'm coming to mac this september (from alberta), and i find that no one from outside of ontario really knows mcmaster. Basically the only people who know what/where it is, are people who go/have gone to school in ontario...the OOP % of mac is like 2%....=.="

it gets so tiring explaining to people what it is...and what my program is...lol
dude...People in Pakistan know McMaster.

'nuff said.

missscarlett likes this.
Old 06-22-2011 at 09:45 PM   #64
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
dude...People in Pakistan know McMaster.

'nuff said.
People in Spain and Mexico know Mcmaster, some people in western Canada just like to be ignorant

Afzal likes this.
Old 06-22-2011 at 09:52 PM   #65
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

People in Trinidad know Mac. lol . I love how my family back home is like oh yeah, I'm proud of you.

Afzal, Eternal Fire, Ish001 like this.
Old 06-22-2011 at 09:58 PM   #66
banban

Liked: 1 Time

The thing about Mac is that they don't really actually have a reputation so maybe that's why they're quick to judge. They assume if they haven't heard anything good, then it must be bad. It does give a rather, overall average impression, although there are some great specialized and innovative programs that are unique to McMaster, like the program you're going into, the Health Science program, and the approach to psychology at Mac is different than the usual universities' appraoches (science vs. social science). Mac has the standard things that I find everyone complains about, although I'm sure if I post it here in writing, for some reason I'll be attacked. But you find that in every school I guess.
In terms of the city, it really does matter where you came from before. Hamilton doesn't compare in terms of livliness of a more major city. In those terms, Hamilton is much more like a town. It's got... character lol. I don't really know how else to describe it.

missscarlett says thanks to banban for this post.

tiger likes this.
Old 06-22-2011 at 10:08 PM   #67
Twelve Chars

Liked: 318 Times

Does puffing your chests help alleviate your bruised egos?
Old 06-23-2011 at 10:50 AM   #68
Sideout

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordnerd View Post
I'm coming to McMaster in September too and whenever people laugh or make a face it is because the university is in Hamilton, not because the school is bad. Don't worry about it. It has all the benefits of U of T (except the whole MUGSI/SOLAR thing) without the alienation. I don't know what happens to people who go to Queen's but they are brainwashed. I was SO creeped out when I visited there.
In what way are people who go to Queen's brainwashed?!
Old 06-23-2011 at 11:27 AM   #69
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideout View Post
In what way are people who go to Queen's brainwashed?!

I think this person's talking about the infamous Queens ego. The immense amount of pride every Queens student possesses for their school, to the point where it's become a nuisance. The school can be a bit elitist at times; students who have parents or grandparents that attended Queens decorate their dorm rooms with their parents' letter jackets.

I think it also has to do with the fact that perfectly reasonable people who attend Queens come home and are suddenly the most irritating people to be around because they won't shut up about the school

idk. I know very few nice people from Queens

J. Dorey likes this.
Old 06-23-2011 at 12:25 PM   #70
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
I think this person's talking about the infamous Queens ego. The immense amount of pride every Queens student possesses for their school, to the point where it's become a nuisance. The school can be a bit elitist at times; students who have parents or grandparents that attended Queens decorate their dorm rooms with their parents' letter jackets.

I think it also has to do with the fact that perfectly reasonable people who attend Queens come home and are suddenly the most irritating people to be around because they won't shut up about the school

I agree. My brother doesn't stop talking about it, and was legitimately upset when I chose Mac over Queens last year.
Old 06-23-2011 at 12:28 PM   #71
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Quote:

Really? Now I'd really like to meet someone from there...

Afzal likes this.
Old 06-23-2011 at 12:59 PM   #72
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dorey View Post
I agree. My brother doesn't stop talking about it, and was legitimately upset when I chose Mac over Queens last year.

Just be like "look *****, Paul Bernardo is your neighbour"
Old 06-23-2011 at 01:03 PM   #73
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Just be like "look *****, Paul Bernardo is your neighbour"
Haha, funny thing is that his rez in first year was the closest to the penitentiary. But seriously, he's said that a lot of the ego is built up through out the schooling. Apparently some of his profs basically said "Well, you go to Queen's, so you are better than everyone else", and a lot of the student population that goes there are kids of alumni members (I can't remember the exact word that they use), so they have this self-righteous feeling to entitlement. I mean, I have nothing against their school or the people that go there, they have some very distinguished profs and it's a very good school for law and history type courses, but I personally prefer a school that's more down-to-earth like McMaster.
Old 06-23-2011 at 02:54 PM   #74
Sideout

Liked: 6 Times

Perhaps the profound sense of school spirit and pride that Queen's students have is misinterpreted as this so-called ego. When you went home at the end of your first year at McMaster, did you not find yourself talking to your friends and family about Frosh week and all of the great things McMaster had to offer? Did you find yourself talking about how the President said, "McMaster is only 1 of 4 Canadian Universities in the list of top 100 universities in the world!"? Your enthusiasm could also be seen as irritating or snooty, especially to outsiders. I think it's unfair to make judgements about another university based on a handful of personal interactions until you have at least become a member of that particular university.
Old 06-23-2011 at 03:37 PM   #75
MirandaC

Liked: 41 Times

As a prospective student I found that people from Queen's were crazy about their school and did not recognize any flaws. If I brought one up they would just say "Doesn't matter, Queen's is better. Come here." I found it really annoying. People from McMaster gave me the pros and cons and were not pushy in any way. I chose McMaster over Queen's because I like that they come off as level headed people. Queen's is no better than any other university so I have no idea where their attitudes come from.

AelyaS, Afzal, Biochem47, J. Dorey like this.