MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Residence Vs Off Campus mfattal Residence & Housing 21 09-19-2010 01:52 AM
From off-campus to residence. _Luu_ Residence & Housing 9 01-12-2010 05:26 PM
Best Residence on campus? kanishka Residence & Housing 39 07-10-2009 10:12 PM
Query regarding off campus residence.. kanishka Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 30 06-29-2009 04:54 PM
Best residence room on campus? watchword General Discussion 8 12-03-2007 10:59 AM

DC++ On Campus (Not residence)

Old 09-13-2009 at 08:05 PM   #1
Pay919

Liked: 57 Times

DC++ On Campus (Not residence)
How do you get fast DC++ downloads on campus, but not on residence? Do you need to port forward or set up a static ip?
Old 09-13-2009 at 08:08 PM   #2
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay919 View Post
How do you get fast DC++ downloads on campus, but not on residence? Do you need to port forward or set up a static ip?
If your not on rez then you will be capped at a 100KB/s regardless of how fast your internet is. Its a limitation of the hub.
Old 09-14-2009 at 06:12 PM   #3
sjager

Liked: 59 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by syaseen View Post
If your not on rez then you will be capped at a 100KB/s regardless of how fast your internet is. Its a limitation of the hub.
I'm not sure where you got that number from, but it's DEFINITELY not a hub limitation. The limitation exists elsewhere.
Old 09-14-2009 at 06:53 PM   #4
syaseen
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjager View Post
I'm not sure where you got that number from, but it's DEFINITELY not a hub limitation. The limitation exists elsewhere.
Really because a friend mine told me about it. He said the max speed for off campus users was 100KB/s.
Old 09-14-2009 at 07:38 PM   #5
sjager

Nope.

I've had reports of up to 500 kbps. It'll most likely dabble at 100 kbps though.
Old 09-14-2009 at 07:48 PM   #6
syaseen
Elite Member

Quote:
Nope.

I've had reports of up to 500 kbps. It'll most likely dabble at 100 kbps though.
Good to know.
Old 09-14-2009 at 08:13 PM   #7
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

The upload speed from on campus users to off campus users is very high. It maxes out my internet connection (500 KB/s down). I've heard of people pulling as high as 1.5 MB/s off of on campus users on faster connections.

adrian likes this.
Old 09-14-2009 at 09:23 PM   #8
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Nope.

Yup same here. sometimes I can even get at least 900-950 kbps for a while. My upload speed on the other hand never goes above 5kbps lol.

To answer the OP's question I dont think there is a way to use DC++ on campus through macconnect. You CAN get on DC++ to chat and stuff but will be unable to download, unless some genius finds a work around lol that would be amazing =D

Last edited by Colin : 09-14-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-14-2009 at 10:52 PM   #9
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

non-res its still pretty fast!
Old 09-14-2009 at 11:13 PM   #10
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Umm okay a noob question or two!

Q1: Can people download from off campus using Dc++?

Q2: Assuming I follow the Dc++ for campus guide....Do the login/hub/Ip details remain the same or is it seperate for off campus users?

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 09-14-2009 at 11:35 PM   #11
sjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Yup same here. sometimes I can even get at least 900-950 kbps for a while. My upload speed on the other hand never goes above 5kbps lol.

To answer the OP's question I dont think there is a way to use DC++ on campus through macconnect. You CAN get on DC++ to chat and stuff but will be unable to download, unless some genius finds a work around lol that would be amazing =D
It's possible using a VPN but not really possible on a large scale.
Old 09-14-2009 at 11:36 PM   #12
sjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Umm okay a noob question or two!

Q1: Can people download from off campus using Dc++?

Q2: Assuming I follow the Dc++ for campus guide....Do the login/hub/Ip details remain the same or is it seperate for off campus users?
Q1: Yes.

Q2: Yes, however look at modifying your router to work with DC++ on http://machub.dyndns.org
Old 09-15-2009 at 03:31 PM   #13
sloxak

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay919 View Post

im not sure what everyone else is talking about, but YES you can use dc++ on macconect.

the only disadvantage is that you have to join a hub as a passive user which means that no one else can establish a connection with you because mcmaster would decline it anyway. this means that two passive users cannot connect to each other. only a passive & active or active & active can connect to each other.

the only cap i know of that exists is a 2gb/day limit. which is not always enforced as i got away with it a couple times. the only thing that will happen to you if you go over that limit is that you will get capped for the next 24 hours. (i believe it is around 10kb/s.. i cant remember)

the speed is not affected otherwise.

now connecting to hubs is another problem. some hubs will only let you in if you are an active users. i would say only about 15 percent do that. there are more limitations but they are hub specific. some of them let you connect to only a specific number of hubs, different share limits, etc...

i managed to download 2mb/s at one point. this usually happens when something is popular and everyone is sharing it.

I also use torrents and everyone was telling me how mcmaster caps torrents but surprisingly, as we speak, i am downloading 800kb/s on torrents in MDCL.

i believe they only cap you if there are many users using the same access point.

-sloxak

jordko likes this.
Old 09-15-2009 at 03:43 PM   #14
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

I tried connecting to DC++ a while ago but was unable too. How are you able to Sloxak? What do you put in the 'Connection Settings'?
Old 09-15-2009 at 03:55 PM   #15
sloxak

Liked: 1 Time

sorry.. i thought you were talking about connecting to hubs other than machub.dyndns.org

what i said is true for connecting to other hubs which is what i do..

i actually just found out that someone moved the on campus machub server somewhere off campus so off campus users can connect too. however, the limitation is that the on campus users act as passive users to the off campus users. so if you are on macconect, there is no way to connect to an on campus user because both of you are being blocked from mcmaster and both act as passive users. the way mcmaster is setup is that every access point acts as a intranet and is seperate from each other EXCEPT all the residences which is just one big intranet. that is why they are all able to connect to each other. but like i said, you can always connect to other hubs around the world.

sorry if what i said is confusing..

-sloxak