MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
HII! especially to engineers ;) PSeng Introduce Yourself 0 09-17-2010 04:59 PM
Test For Engineers????????? ninjamachete First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 90 09-08-2010 02:35 PM
Dear Cheri Lawley. deadpool General Discussion 6 06-11-2010 01:05 AM

Dear Engineers, What's Bothering You?

Old 01-12-2010 at 03:54 PM   #45
Matt Wright

Liked: 49 Times
If education matters to you, let your voice be heard.
Dear Engineers,

Here is your chance to let the MSU know what's wrong or working with your education at McMaster. This is the direct link to the Engineering section of the Quality of Education Assessment.

https://www.msumcmaster.ca/studentGo...ngineering.htm

Old 01-18-2010 at 10:40 AM   #46
Ender

Liked: 30 Times
If you can do something about the condition of the blackboards for classrooms that would be cool. Something I've noticed for a while now is that the blackboards are never washed so they may as well be whiteboards. Even sitting at the front row its kind of difficult since the chalk dust just covers the entire board making it hard to read. Am I the only one who is bothered by this?

Old 01-18-2010 at 05:51 PM   #47
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
If you can do something about the condition of the blackboards for classrooms that would be cool. Something I've noticed for a while now is that the blackboards are never washed so they may as well be whiteboards. Even sitting at the front row its kind of difficult since the chalk dust just covers the entire board making it hard to read. Am I the only one who is bothered by this?
I also agree with this. Also, I think you should pester professors to write more legibly (they also switch back like 10 minutes after bothering them about it it seems) :p.

Crappy handwriting + very dusty chalkboard = headache when trying to read...

RyanC likes this.

Old 01-18-2010 at 06:31 PM   #48
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times
I learned more in 2 days of studying at exams time than i did in the entirety of lectures last year (math). I havn't even been going to math this year because the math profs (imo) are rubbish. This year my tutorial TA's presentation is magnitudes greater than the professor's... and it actually looks like he prepares for teaching instead of just regugitating the textbook sections

I'm fine with the rest of the quality of education, i suppose.

Old 01-18-2010 at 09:50 PM   #49
Ender

Liked: 30 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
I learned more in 2 days of studying at exams time than i did in the entirety of lectures last year (math). I havn't even been going to math this year because the math profs (imo) are rubbish. This year my tutorial TA's presentation is magnitudes greater than the professor's... and it actually looks like he prepares for teaching instead of just regugitating the textbook sections

I'm fine with the rest of the quality of education, i suppose.
Its just the lecturing style that I really dislike in the math classes. Regurgitating the textbook work for word on the blackboard doesn't exactly encourage students to attend lecture. Only math prof that I've encountered who had a good lecturing style was Dr. McLean. Lots of examples and tries to interact with the student whether it be a small joke or story related to the material. His handwriting's not too shabby either

What I think should be done is have the Dean (or whomever is the head of the respective departments) sit in for one surprise lecture without the prof knowing and see what the experience is like for the students. A few of these professors should not even be teaching at all imo. Whether it be because of poor english or just doesn't care at all. Anyways this is beyond the SRA.

All I'm asking for is some clean blackboards

Last edited by Ender : 01-18-2010 at 10:09 PM.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search