MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone decent with Photoshop out here? xxsumz Computers & Tech 2 09-15-2010 02:25 PM
apartments near mcmaster macbaby07 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 3 07-19-2010 09:41 PM
Names of apartments near Mac Kathy2 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 7 12-13-2009 11:51 AM
191 Main St. West Apartments Greco General Discussion 4 08-01-2009 10:04 PM

Decent NON student apartments

Old 05-24-2010 at 08:05 AM   #1
ViktorVaughn

Liked: 71 Times

Decent NON student apartments
So I just graduated, and as it turns out I got a job right here in Hamilton (Dundas).

I've been looking for a decent apartment to live in - 1 bedroom, medium sized, reasonable location, and in a newer building (I've had my fair share of headaches with the ancient heating and plumbing found in most older Hamilton dwellings, and floors so creaky and thin, you can hear your neighbors chatting on the phone, follow their TV programs word by word, or hear them watching p orn (true story :/ )).

I have a budget of about $850 a month for rent.

The problem I seem to be having is that no such place seems to exist in Hamilton. All of the apartments I've come across fall into the same boat. Even if you are willing to compromise and pay a premium, there are simply no counterexamples that exist, so it doesnt matter. What am I missing? It seems like the only nice places around here are student only :(

If anyone has any input or maybe knows of any hidden gems, it would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-24-2010 at 09:15 AM   #2
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Do you look young enough that you could pretend to be a student? It might not be completely ethical, but I also doubt its illegal. (Check that first though!)
Old 05-24-2010 at 09:32 AM   #3
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

1928 Main Street West
Old 05-24-2010 at 09:34 AM   #4
BenTran

Liked: 3 Times

I know a place in downtown but its 3 bedrooms and is like 1350 a month utl included
Old 05-24-2010 at 09:52 AM   #5
ViktorVaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
Do you look young enough that you could pretend to be a student? It might not be completely ethical, but I also doubt its illegal. (Check that first though!)
I don't know if I could pull that off, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
1928 Main Street West
Thank you, I'll have a look!
Old 05-25-2010 at 09:07 PM   #6
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

The apartments on Mericourt Road, off Whitney, have nice places. The one I live in (#57) is about 630 bucks a month, but you have to pay your own hydro. You can't hear your next door neighbours really.

There's a bunch of apartments in this area, this is close to the 1928 Main St one, and it's pretty close to Dundas too.
Old 05-25-2010 at 09:19 PM   #7
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Are you looking for non-student apartments because you don't want to live with students anymore or because you think you couldn't "get away" with it?

Because if it's the latter, I really don't think that anyone gives a crud and if they do, just tell them you're going back for another degree or something. XD

I mean, I'd probably want to stay with student houses for a year or two after I graduate. It's cheap as heck! ;D

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 05-25-2010 at 09:20 PM   #8
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

My place at 175 Hunter Street West (corner of Hunter/Hess) has treated me pretty well - the worst issue have been a couple mice, but I would consider it to be closer to one or two critters in a couple units rather than a full infestation. Hasn't gotten worse, and after trapping a couple it's died down. It has new windows (2 weeks ago!) and balconies! The hot water baseboard heaters have kept me warm all winter and the North exposure of my unit doesn't get hot in the summer.

I like cranking my music and have never gotten complaints, and the most I hear from neighbours is a faint noise when they run the tap in their washroom - hardly an annoyance to me. It's not a new building by any means, but it's held up pretty well and there's been a lot of work done over the last year.

For a 550 square foot one-bedroom, I'm paying about 580 a month + 30 for an underground parking spot. Heat and water included, hydro is extra. A little far from Dundas, but maybe check it out if you want.
Old 05-26-2010 at 07:38 PM   #9
ViktorVaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
The apartments on Mericourt Road, off Whitney, have nice places. The one I live in (#57) is about 630 bucks a month, but you have to pay your own hydro. You can't hear your next door neighbours really.

There's a bunch of apartments in this area, this is close to the 1928 Main St one, and it's pretty close to Dundas too.
I called the landlord there a while ago and asked to see the place. We were supposed to meet, but they didn't show up unfortunately. I've getton mixed things from various people about those Mericourt apartments, and had wanted to go see for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Are you looking for non-student apartments because you don't want to live with students anymore or because you think you couldn't "get away" with it?

Because if it's the latter, I really don't think that anyone gives a crud and if they do, just tell them you're going back for another degree or something. XD

I mean, I'd probably want to stay with student houses for a year or two after I graduate. It's cheap as heck! ;D
I'm definately looking forward to living on my own in a much quieter environment these days. I had thought about just renting at a student apt anyway, but they all seem to require proof that you are a student.

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptingf8 View Post
My place at 175 Hunter Street West (corner of Hunter/Hess) has treated me pretty well - the worst issue have been a couple mice, but I would consider it to be closer to one or two critters in a couple units rather than a full infestation. Hasn't gotten worse, and after trapping a couple it's died down. It has new windows (2 weeks ago!) and balconies! The hot water baseboard heaters have kept me warm all winter and the North exposure of my unit doesn't get hot in the summer.

I like cranking my music and have never gotten complaints, and the most I hear from neighbours is a faint noise when they run the tap in their washroom - hardly an annoyance to me. It's not a new building by any means, but it's held up pretty well and there's been a lot of work done over the last year.

For a 550 square foot one-bedroom, I'm paying about 580 a month + 30 for an underground parking spot. Heat and water included, hydro is extra. A little far from Dundas, but maybe check it out if you want.
Sounds pretty good (aside from the mice, heh, but I've encountered one or two of those in the past). Being able to make noise and not disturb others and vice versa is really important to me, so I'll have to have a peek. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2010 at 07:55 PM   #10
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

That makes sense. I guess I'd rather just live with students (house or apartment) and save like 300-400 bucks a month. XD

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.