MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
191 Main Street West Jenn629 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 6 05-31-2010 10:18 PM
Names of apartments near Mac Kathy2 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 7 12-13-2009 11:51 AM
anyone live at 191 Main St W????? macculkin General Discussion 5 07-04-2009 02:50 AM
MSU Main Office (Room 201) myoozik General Discussion 2 11-28-2008 06:23 PM

191 Main St. West Apartments

Old 08-01-2009 at 08:50 AM   #1
Greco

Liked: 18 Times

191 Main St. West Apartments
Alright guys, it looks like i'm really running out of luck on finding a decent bachelor apartment for September.

I think i'm going to actually go check-out those bachelor apartments that Hamilton Housing has advertised for students at 191 Main St. West.

Has anyone lived there? or know anyone who has? It it safe? I'm a female, so I really want to make sure i'm moving into a safe place. Are there really ONLY students living in those apartments?

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!
Old 08-01-2009 at 12:10 PM   #2
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I know you're probably tired of seeing my comments on the matter (lol), but I do have a little to offer:

Although I've never lived there, the apartment is right by Hess Village...which is a 'take it or leave it' sort of thing. Hess Village is a very active part of downtown hamilton, with lots of bars and night clubs, so...you may enjoy being so close to the action, or if you're like me you'll wind up just staying indoors on Friday nights to avoid 'all the crazies' haha. I don't imagine it would be unsafe in and of itself, though you may, depending on your nature, want to put yourself in a potentially unsafe situation.

I do know for a fact they only allow students to live in that apartment...you might recall I wish to live with a friend of mine who is not a student, and we were planning to get adjacent rooms in that apartment at one point and share wireless net and cable...but the landlord stepped up and said "No way" because he wasn't a student.

I think they're rather strict about it, and when applying must prove your status as a student next year.

Last edited by Mowicz : 08-01-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-01-2009 at 12:18 PM   #3
Greco

Liked: 18 Times

haha, no not tired at all. I appreciate the input.

My only concern with it is safety, but if it's only students than I feel a lot better about living there.

As far as the application goes, what do they ask for as proof that your a student? Timetable? Fee statement? As far as payment proof, i'm basically only on OSAP, full OSAP that is, so I could show them that. I won't have any letters from parents saying they'd pay if I don't, or any parental support income. I will be getting a job hopefully, but not until I move to Hamilton, so during my initial application process i'll only be able to simply show them my proof of OSAP. On the site it states i'd need two peices of proof of income, OSAP, plus parental support, or parental agreement to pay, employment. I hope that isn't an issue.
Old 08-01-2009 at 12:34 PM   #4
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Just to give you the link again (which I'm sure you have):

http://www.myhamilton.ca/myhamilton/...entHousing.htm

If you click on the "Applying and What to Expect" link, you can see the application process and what's necessary:

Evidence of being a full-time student. Any two of the following is acceptable:
  • Current ID card from school
  • Statement from the registrar
  • Notification of acceptance for the following year
Evidence of ability to pay rent for the year. Two or more of the following are acceptable:
  • Name of previous Canadian landlord where we can verify you paid your rent on time
  • Letter from parent(s) or other relatives saying they will be liable for rental payments if you do not do so. If your relative is not present, this letter must be notarized
  • Letter from parent indicating the amount of monthly support
  • Evidence of a student loan, bursary, or grant **(**This would be OSAP)
  • Evidence of employment - cheque stubs or similar
  • Bank statement indicating sufficient funds to pay full rent
  • Full payment for term
Old 08-01-2009 at 10:04 PM   #5
silvasam47

Liked: 0 Times

I lived there last year, and I'm living there again this year. I like it, it's about a minute and a half walk (while walking slowly) to King/Queen to get to school by the transit, and on the way back it will drop you right in front of your apartment. If you don't like walking outside in the winter, this is keeey! Two other things I enjoyed was the balcony view and the heated linoleum tiles. A problem I had was that a pipe was leaking above my bathroom it randomly resulted in a gaping hole above my shower for about 2 and a half months (apparently there was a lack of communication on the entire fixing issue...3 times) but when they finally decided to fix it, it was done with within a week. Other than that, I've had no problems, it's a pretty clean building. Oh! And one more thing. If you ever travel by the GO bus from home back to the building for the school year, the GO transit has a stop infront of the building. If it's not clear already, I'm lazy.

Saftey wise, since it's a seniors building/student building, I wouldn't say sketchy people are living in the apartment itself. Just old people and McMaster/Mohawk students. Outside of the apartment on Main Street, you might see some 'crazy' people, which gets worse as you travel further downtown.

You WILL hear partying coming from Hess Village Friday/Saturday nights. It's not enough to keep you from sleeping but if you're dying to go party and you're in the middle of studying, it might depress you . And just to clarify, there is NO partying from October-April in Hess Sunday-Wednesday nights. It's a ghost town. Thursday nights are sometimes decent. Otherwise, the building itself is very quiet.

And as for who is eligible... you just need to 'prove you're a student' and pay the $495 per month. You do not need to sign a 12-month lease, you can just sign a 8-month lease if you're not doing summer school. Below the apartments is the City of Hamilton office where you can pay your bills and whatnot...you do not need to be eligible for OSAP to sign a lease for the building. Personally, my parents simply came in with me to see the apartment, said we'll be paying for it ourselves, and then we set up automatic payments in the office. No proof of anything was required. The person who shows you the apartments and draws up your lease is NOT the person you deal with while paying rent or setting up how you will pay. I think he just screens people and makes them sign leases.

Ok I kind of ranted/have a headache/am too lazy to check that over so I hope I made sense, lol. If you need me to clarify anything just ask/send a message.