MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oscarplus loginbox userscript Afzal Computers & Tech 10 02-29-2012 07:20 AM
OSCARplus problem enarab Academics 0 10-03-2011 07:45 PM
Declining an offer Saint First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 15 06-05-2011 01:39 AM
Co-op Interview Lizliz Academics 32 03-29-2011 05:51 PM
SSL interview? sana.banana Volunteering Opportunities 1 02-10-2011 08:21 PM

Declining an Interview Through OscarPlus

Old 01-29-2012 at 07:14 PM   #1
TedMosby

Liked: 34 Times

Declining an Interview Through OscarPlus
So here's the deal, I got an invitation to interview in Burlington that I will not be able to make, nor will I be able to take the job if it's offered because of some personal circumstances (family, etc) that will require me to stay in Toronto over the summer. Is there anyway I can decline the interview because I don't feel that it's fair to the company to have to interview me when I have no intention to accept the job position, and they can instead interview someone else who would be able to accepted an offer? I do not know Oscar+'s policy on declining interviews, so if anyone can fill me on this it would be great. I have not yet 'booked' an interview time slot yet. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2012 at 07:29 PM   #2
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

i would talk to the engineering co-op office tomorrow since they should know what you can do
Old 01-29-2012 at 07:46 PM   #3
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

The Engineering co-op office is usually very strict about this stuff. They have emphasized to us that even if you do not plan on taking the job, that you go for the interview. This is in place so as to not ruin the image the company has for McMaster.

They might provide an exception so drop in ask them.
Old 01-29-2012 at 08:34 PM   #4
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
The Engineering co-op office is usually very strict about this stuff. They have emphasized to us that even if you do not plan on taking the job, that you go for the interview. This is in place so as to not ruin the image the company has for McMaster.

They might provide an exception so drop in ask them.
Really? I think the OP is right - it's wasting everyone's time by going to the interview. It looks bad on HIS part if he interviews for the job, knowing he won't take it.
I don't know about OscarPlus, but you can always write a letter to the company/whoever you addressed your cover letter to and explain your situation. It also might open up your spot to someone else who was selected below you.

Or you can contact the Student Success Centre/Career Services directly. They run OscarPlus and will be able to help you.
Old 01-29-2012 at 09:04 PM   #5
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

You have to attend the interview, even if you do not plan to take the job. Sadly that is just mac policy... sometimes its a waste of time, esp if the job is off-campus -_- (siemens :@)
Old 01-29-2012 at 10:15 PM   #6
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Really? I think the OP is right - it's wasting everyone's time by going to the interview. It looks bad on HIS part if he interviews for the job, knowing he won't take it.
I don't know about OscarPlus, but you can always write a letter to the company/whoever you addressed your cover letter to and explain your situation. It also might open up your spot to someone else who was selected below you.

Or you can contact the Student Success Centre/Career Services directly. They run OscarPlus and will be able to help you.
Yes, but he applied through McMaster. If more ppl were allowed to do this, companies will think twice about posting jobs/taking applicants seriously.

You applied for the job, man up and take the interview. If you are offered a job just decline it and the nezt person in line will be get it. The fact remains that even If you don't interview, the company is not gonna interview someone else in that position.

Not blaming the OP, his scenario is different and I am sure ECCS will understand, just give them a call and explain the situation. I wouldadvice not to email the company your self declining it as the ECCS will not look nicely on that
Old 01-30-2012 at 01:28 PM   #7
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
You applied for the job, man up and take the interview. If you are offered a job just decline it and the nezt person in line will be get it. The fact remains that even If you don't interview, the company is not gonna interview someone else in that position.
I'm not sure what "manning up" has to do with this? I think OP would be doing everyone a favour by not wasting their time. The odds of them giving his interview spot to someone else are probably the same as the odds of them giving the job to someone else when he declines it. I would never interview for a job that I know I'm going to turn down. That just seems in bad taste to me.
Old 01-30-2012 at 02:07 PM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
I'm not sure what "manning up" has to do with this? I think OP would be doing everyone a favour by not wasting their time. The odds of them giving his interview spot to someone else are probably the same as the odds of them giving the job to someone else when he declines it. I would never interview for a job that I know I'm going to turn down. That just seems in bad taste to me.
You always go to the interview, regardless of intention to accept it. Its policy. There are some circumstances to cancel far ahead of time, and have the employer informed, but this is not one of them.

Think of this as an opportunity to practice your interview skills.
Old 01-30-2012 at 02:30 PM   #9
jp1390

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
You always go to the interview, regardless of intention to accept it. Its policy. There are some circumstances to cancel far ahead of time, and have the employer informed, but this is not one of them.

Think of this as an opportunity to practice your interview skills.
This. 7charss
Old 01-30-2012 at 03:36 PM   #10
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Quote:
Its a saying...

Why would you apply for the job if you had no intentions of going for the interview?
You should still go for the interview and be respectful. Like poster said above ^, its a good way to practice your interviewing skills swell.

Actually if he were to decline it, the next person on the list would get it. The employer ranks the students which it wants. So if he is #1 on the list and he declines it then McMaster will send the offer to the next person on the employers list and so on. So the odds are definitely not the same.
Old 01-30-2012 at 04:16 PM   #11
Kathy2
Elite Member

The OP didn't apply for the job knowing he wouldn't take it, he said special circumstances came up that are out of his control.
Regardless, I'm not looking to argue - it's just my opinion. I don't really agree with Mac's policy on this (or whoever's policy it is).
Old 01-30-2012 at 04:27 PM   #12
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

fck Ted Mosby, why are you always making the wrong decisions for our entertainment?