MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Daily game Jan 09 : Deep Diver Chad Daily Game 0 01-09-2012 04:10 AM
Deep thread at 6 am tray General Discussion 12 12-18-2011 08:30 PM
Deep Fried Pickles - Joe Dogs Shananaghens Restaurants & Food Reviews 0 06-13-2010 03:31 PM

Deep thinkers?

Old 01-09-2013 at 07:50 PM   #1
Sara1234

Liked: 4 Times

Deep thinkers?
Any one here who enjoys deep conversations about life, and everything in it? I find myself drawn to people who have a deeper sense of thinking towards all aspects of life, just wondering if anyone can relate?
Old 01-09-2013 at 07:56 PM   #2
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

www.macinsiders.com/chat for philosophy thursdays

Sara1234 says thanks to Freija for this post.

Old 01-09-2013 at 08:34 PM   #3
rpg51
Elite Member

Liked: 139 Times

Holy crap i feel the same way. I like talking about life and what not and politics and the news. But none of my friends are interested. They like to talk about all this trivial stuff. I like to read about stuff on the internet. I also prefer to watch the news and shows that talk about real issues like 60 minutes versus soaps and shows like breaking bad and suits.
Old 01-09-2013 at 09:11 PM   #4
Sara1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpg51 View Post
Holy crap i feel the same way. I like talking about life and what not and politics and the news. But none of my friends are interested. They like to talk about all this trivial stuff. I like to read about stuff on the internet. I also prefer to watch the news and shows that talk about real issues like 60 minutes versus soaps and shows like breaking bad and suits.
I love watching the news and reading the newspaper! But really, knowledge about the world is so important and i just find it interesting to talk about. I love learning about other people's perspectives and opinions towards topics. It's also great to understand how other people view the world.

sirbearding says thanks to Sara1234 for this post.
Old 01-09-2013 at 09:48 PM   #5
sirbearding

Liked: 2 Times

Only if people truly cared about such topics. Everybody just walks in their classes and just wants to get it over with. Join a few clubs to go out, make friends and have a good time. I have managed to find and have been fortunate enough to know a few people that are thinkers. That has given my mind a sense of creativity and sort of this more than narrow vision of how we look at things.

I say that talks like these are more than just thinking with a sense of wisdom. It's more about how everybody like us/prior to us has done just about the same thing with no results. Yet, we all chose to practice it. Not for the aspect of getting conclusions, but for growth.

AndrewS likes this.
Old 01-09-2013 at 09:59 PM   #6
Sara1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbearding View Post
Only if people truly cared about such topics. Everybody just walks in their classes and just wants to get it over with. Join a few clubs to go out, make friends and have a good time. I have managed to find and have been fortunate enough to know a few people that are thinkers. That has given my mind a sense of creativity and sort of this more than narrow vision of how we look at things.

I say that talks like these are more than just thinking with a sense of wisdom. It's more about how everybody like us/prior to us has done just about the same thing with no results. Yet, we all chose to practice it. Not for the aspect of getting conclusions, but for growth.
I've only truly met a couple of people that have a similar mindset to me. I like to think of myself as open minded, i love gaining insight into new things. I also lead my life with a positive attitude, and have great hopes for my future. What clubs would you suggest joining?
Old 01-09-2013 at 09:59 PM   #7
eddiemurphy
Account Locked

Liked: 35 Times

Where do we go when we sleep? I think everybody's mind is one and the same, but our experiences here change who we are. As humans we only see visible light and theres so much more. If the universe is completely random.... then why are our pupils a sphere and planets a sphere? is it because we're looking at it? just yesterday in the news they predicted about 14 billion earth like planets in the milky way alone. is there an infinite number of worlds/realitys? Will the real slim shady please stand up?
Old 01-09-2013 at 10:05 PM   #8
sirbearding

Well, I on the contrary had a very negative outlook on how things are and have been. My conclusion have been very hard hitting/ morbid. I only joined clubs in general for distraction purposes. Their aren't any clubs that come into my mind that are actually full of people that actually would like to think. There might be some with people having a common interest but those are generally run very badly and end up dying in their first year or so.(due to "lack in interest" off course). So I would just say try finding more people by the simple efficient method of patience and you will be fine. Or just keep on replying on this thread.
Old 01-09-2013 at 10:08 PM   #9
Sara1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemurphy View Post
Where do we go when we sleep? I think everybody's mind is one and the same, but our experiences here change who we are. As humans we only see visible light and theres so much more. If the universe is completely random.... then why are our pupils a sphere and planets a sphere? is it because we're looking at it? just yesterday in the news they predicted about 14 billion earth like planets in the milky way alone. is there an infinite number of worlds/realitys? Will the real slim shady please stand up?
Haha so very very true i completely agree with the first part. Every single encounter you face changes you, however small it may be. You got a nice view on things.
Old 01-09-2013 at 10:17 PM   #10
Sara1234

Quote:
Well, I on the contrary had a very negative outlook on how things are and have been. My conclusion have been very hard hitting/ morbid. I only joined clubs in general for distraction purposes. Their aren't any clubs that come into my mind that are actually full of people that actually would like to think. There might be some with people having a common interest but those are generally run very badly and end up dying in their first year or so.(due to "lack in interest" off course). So I would just say try finding more people by the simple efficient method of patience and you will be fine. Or just keep on replying on this thread.
What is stopping you from viewing your current situation from a more positive angle? That bright spot of hope can come out of the worst, most negative situations. There's no where to go but up, from the bottom. You just have to find that reason, everything does happen for a reason. It's so rare to find people who you can relate on such a similar basis. I guess i just posted in this for the hope of finding those few people. Coming to uni i expected to have better relationships with people, but have had a hard time sticking to "average" friendships. I guess im just looking for more in people, deeper relationships.

Bigmacfatpack likes this.
Old 01-09-2013 at 10:26 PM   #11
sirbearding

Everything happens for a reason? Only if it truly did. There is so much in the world that happens for no reason, or if at all for the worse. I really agree how a person must always find deeper relationships with people they know. I guess that's why people bond when they feel a great connection. Its a great that you feel the world with optimism, sorta fills you up energy everyday. waking up and saying to yourself that hah, its a new amazing day just full of possibilities. I perceive life as very direction-less, You right go straight or just end up in circles.
Old 01-09-2013 at 10:28 PM   #12
Juicebox

Liked: 179 Times

The amount of pseudo-intellectualism and vague stoner talk in this thread is incredible.

If you have an interesting "deep" idea, state it. And discuss it.

Sara1234 says thanks to Juicebox for this post.

Old 01-09-2013 at 10:40 PM   #13
eniteris

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemurphy View Post
We don't "go" anywhere, the pathways that make up the conscious mind merely stop firing until you wake up (or are used less)
That is a complete social-conditioning viewpoint of development, which isn't quite true; ie: born with brain damage, thus the physical substrate is important. But most of an identity is shaped by experience (in my opinion)
Yes; many insects can see in UV to see patterns on flowers. It's just that our sun emits enough light in the visible spectrum to discriminate our surroundings
Eyes (not pupils) are spheres because you need a "camera obscura" to project a focused image onto the receptors; although it could easily be any other round shape, spheres give you the greatest volume for smallest surface area, which is efficient. Also, as it has rotational symmetry, it can be move around more easily than a cubic eye. Planets are spheres due to gravitational pull pulling everything to the lowest potential energy.
There appears to be a set amount of matter in the universe, so there cannot be an infinite number of worlds. As for realities, there is no evidence to support or refute the theory, so that's up in the air.
That would be me.

Afzal, Andrew A, Juicebox, rkb12 like this.
Old 01-09-2013 at 10:41 PM   #14
Sara1234

Quote:
Everything happens for a reason? Only if it truly did. There is so much in the world that happens for no reason, or if at all for the worse. I really agree how a person must always find deeper relationships with people they know. I guess that's why people bond when they feel a great connection. Its a great that you feel the world with optimism, sorta fills you up energy everyday. waking up and saying to yourself that hah, its a new amazing day just full of possibilities. I perceive life as very direction-less, You right go straight or just end up in circles.
If the action or event does not take place for a reason (e.g. senseless killings), there is at least something positive to take out of that event. Maybe not right away, but afterwards. It's just about finding the reason why people go through hardships. Each individual has to find their reason for being on this planet. These events, however negative or positive they may be, help guide people to find meaning and purpose. It's hard to explain what im trying to say. I feel like living your life with a negative spin on things does not allow one to live life to the fullest. Why not wake up with optimism and a smile on your face? It's a choice, the mindset in which you choose to posses to live your life.
Old 01-09-2013 at 10:43 PM   #15
Sara1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicebox View Post
The amount of pseudo-intellectualism and vague stoner talk in this thread is incredible.

If you have an interesting "deep" idea, state it. And discuss it.
Smoking brings out my deepest inner thoughts. One of my favourite things to do is smoke and talk for hours. I love viewing my life from a different reality. Puts a different spin on things, it makes me realize things i could never grasp sober.