MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Daily game Jan 09 : Deep Diver Chad Daily Game 0 01-09-2012 04:10 AM
Deep thread at 6 am tray General Discussion 12 12-18-2011 08:30 PM
Deep Fried Pickles - Joe Dogs Shananaghens Restaurants & Food Reviews 0 06-13-2010 03:31 PM

Deep thinkers?

Old 01-09-2013 at 10:46 PM   #16
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1234 View Post
Smoking brings out my deepest inner thoughts. One of my favourite things to do is smoke and talk for hours. I love viewing my life from a different reality. Puts a different spin on things, it makes me realize things i could never grasp sober.
THIS is your response to someone calling your posts pseudo-intellectualism? Cannot tell if trolling.

Also, LOL @ everything happens for a reason. Your entire family got killed in a car crash? Happened for a reason, dude. It's helped you grow as a person! Right.

Afzal, Andrew A, sirbearding like this.
Old 01-09-2013 at 10:48 PM   #17
sirbearding

Liked: 2 Times

that's just pushing yourself to feel right about something that's bad. You are right, gotta find reasons to live and all that neat stuff. I dont think people learn anything or find any meaning or purpose. Just think about it. With all this stuff we have, everything we made and created. Where are we actual heading? Towards what? progress? Progress towards what? There is no ending, sorta like falling in a pitfall thinking that you might crash and get it over with, but it never happens. Instead you are told to think of the fall as a liberation and not something very crushing and painful.
Old 01-09-2013 at 10:49 PM   #18
sirbearding

Thanks for your amazing contribution dude.
Old 01-09-2013 at 10:52 PM   #19
Sara1234

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaryll View Post
THIS is your response to someone calling your posts pseudo-intellectualism? Cannot tell if trolling.

Also, LOL @ everything happens for a reason. Your entire family got killed in a car crash? Happened for a reason, dude. It's helped you grow as a person! Right.
He can think what he wants, I'm stating my PERSONAL opinions. Not everyone's gunah be on the same page. Expressing my opinions about topics won't hurt anyone, im only looking to find the good things that come out of this thread.

Yeah, life altering events DO happen for a reason. Positive things DO come out of the worst situations. It's just difference of opinion, and the way you view the world.

adaptation likes this.
Old 01-09-2013 at 10:58 PM   #20
Sara1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbearding View Post
that's just pushing yourself to feel right about something that's bad. You are right, gotta find reasons to live and all that neat stuff. I dont think people learn anything or find any meaning or purpose. Just think about it. With all this stuff we have, everything we made and created. Where are we actual heading? Towards what? progress? Progress towards what? There is no ending, sorta like falling in a pitfall thinking that you might crash and get it over with, but it never happens. Instead you are told to think of the fall as a liberation and not something very crushing and painful.
Negative. Thats where your head is. I am heading towards a bright future, with many encounters and learning experiences ahead of me to shape me as a person. Whatever may happen, its all part of whats meant to happen. What are you working hard in uni to achieve? Do you have dreams for the future? The world is ever changing, evolving. No one knows what's to come in the world, thats why you should live with optimism and work hard to achieve what you want.
Old 01-09-2013 at 11:08 PM   #21
sirbearding

You are right, those are one of the reasons I still hold up. I have people tot take care of and things to do. Just as I started that is why I keep myself distracted. its the future that holds interest.

Sara1234 likes this.
Old 01-10-2013 at 12:29 AM   #22
Jester

Liked: 30 Times

we can talk about the world and blaze whenever you want. just let me know

Sara1234 likes this.
Old 01-10-2013 at 07:50 AM   #23
eddiemurphy
Account Locked

Liked: 35 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eniteris View Post
We don't "go" anywhere, the pathways that make up the conscious mind merely stop firing until you wake up (or are used less)
That is a complete social-conditioning viewpoint of development, which isn't quite true; ie: born with brain damage, thus the physical substrate is important. But most of an identity is shaped by experience (in my opinion)
Yes; many insects can see in UV to see patterns on flowers. It's just that our sun emits enough light in the visible spectrum to discriminate our surroundings
Eyes (not pupils) are spheres because you need a "camera obscura" to project a focused image onto the receptors; although it could easily be any other round shape, spheres give you the greatest volume for smallest surface area, which is efficient. Also, as it has rotational symmetry, it can be move around more easily than a cubic eye. Planets are spheres due to gravitational pull pulling everything to the lowest potential energy.
There appears to be a set amount of matter in the universe, so there cannot be an infinite number of worlds. As for realities, there is no evidence to support or refute the theory, so that's up in the air.
That would be me.
you dont "know" anything. If you do, answer me this: what do christians, hebrews, mormons, muslims, rastafarians and monkeys all have in common?

Answer: NOBODY HAS A FREAKEN CLUE WHAT WE'RE DOING HERE!
I hope you realize we're advanced monkeys sitting on one of billion upon billions of possible planets, and you think your going to understand the universe? we could go to disney land when we sleep, you dont know. you can believe your theories if it makes you feel better but you know just as much as the next guy. our ego makes us think we're the most intelligent and we're gods gift to the world, but again, we're just smart monkeys. we can only understand the universe from a smart monkeys point of view. now give me your banana. im a gorilla. you think you have a clue about what the conscious mind is? the human brain is one of the biggest mysteries. psychology is very young. too bad we all cant see the future as they will discover things that will put your monkey world on its head. also, if there was an intelligent lifeform outside of visible light, it could be right in front of your face and you wouldn't know a thing. when we think we're super intelligent and know all of lifes questions, its because of our egos, and a mild case of delirium.
Old 01-10-2013 at 08:10 AM   #24
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

I feel like there should be cities where we experiment with law and economics. Theory can only go so far and if we can find a better system, more power to us.

Animosity likes this.
Old 01-10-2013 at 09:07 AM   #25
eniteris

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemurphy View Post
you dont "know" anything. If you do, answer me this: what do christians, hebrews, mormons, muslims, rastafarians and monkeys all have in common?

Answer: NOBODY HAS A FREAKEN CLUE WHAT WE'RE DOING HERE!
I hope you realize we're advanced monkeys sitting on one of billion upon billions of possible planets, and you think your going to understand the universe? we could go to disney land when we sleep, you dont know. you can believe your theories if it makes you feel better but you know just as much as the next guy. our ego makes us think we're the most intelligent and we're gods gift to the world, but again, we're just smart monkeys. we can only understand the universe from a smart monkeys point of view. now give me your banana. im a gorilla. you think you have a clue about what the conscious mind is? the human brain is one of the biggest mysteries. psychology is very young. too bad we all cant see the future as they will discover things that will put your monkey world on its head. also, if there was an intelligent lifeform outside of visible light, it could be right in front of your face and you wouldn't know a thing. when we think we're super intelligent and know all of lifes questions, its because of our egos, and a mild case of delirium.
If you want to go that way, let the hell be wrought.
What we "know" is a matter of semantics, because depending on your definition of "knowing", you could "know" everything or nothing. As all information is gathered by our senses (which can be fooled); thus, you could be living in a simulation in a world where everything we know holds false. We can also logically apply solipsism, as we don't know the mental processes of others, and thus everyone else could just be hallucinations or simulations or robots. The entire world could be a giant conspiracy against us, making us think that we "know" things when we really do not.
(There's a whole bunch of things that are similar to those words. They're all categorical indefinite nouns, all refer to a group of primates living on Earth, and can be used as terms of insults)

Disneyland is a physical location, and thus can only be visited physically. Even if we did go to Disneyland in our sleep, observational evidence of people who are asleep who are not in Disneyland is proof against it, unless a) only you go to Disneyland when you sleep, and b) everyone is lying to you when they say they saw you sleeping (and all recordeTd evidence is fabricated). Occam's Razor: you don't go to Disneyland when you sleep.

We're not gods' gift to anyone; there are no gods. We are our own gods. We merely evolved from a random assortment of biochemicals, and with sheer luck were able to get it this far. But not too much sheer luck; anthropic principle states that if we're asking the question of why intelligent life evolved, it has to have happened (otherwise nobody would be asking the question), and thus Earth is as good a place as any.

I don't say I have any indication of what the conscious mind is. It's probably a gestalt emergent behavior from the various biochemoelectrical interactions in the brain.

The future is awesome. I agree with that.

I there was an intelligent life form outside visible light, we could see it: in hot air or non-air materials (index of refraction will show warping), trying to move into it, infrared cameras, it's effects on air currents/other objects in the environment and gravitational lensing. There are many ways for us to see it (maybe not available all the time), but as we have the equipment (quite widespread), and no empirical evidence to support it, I invoke Occam's Razor: no such being exists.

If you think some questions in life cannot be answered, you're suffering from a minor case of delirium. (Including null-answer as answers to the question).

I'm not saying that you're wrong; I am merely pointing out the most realistic and logical explanations. Sure, we could actually be 36+4 dimensional light beings with thirteen tendrils, five ocular tubes, six feeding holes, sheathed in beryllium armor with 4 dimensional rotational symmetry, and merely imagining a world were we live in 3+1 dimensions, with two arms and two legs. But the fact is that we can't change the situation, and the situation seems to have laws which are self-consistent; thus, we can restrict the domain of "what we know" to the laws of our self-consistent universe, whether it is real or not.

Amaryll, Andrew A, rkb12 like this.
Old 01-10-2013 at 11:03 AM   #26
Scarecrow
Dr. Crane

Liked: 89 Times

This thread is absolutely hilarious

Amaryll, Andrew A, Grover like this.
Old 01-10-2013 at 11:51 AM   #27
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaryll View Post

I don't think necessarily everything happens for a reason, but i do think that even in the worst of situations you can always find something to value or appreciate - some lesson. If the option is to ignore the very minute positive quality of a situation solely because of cynicism and be down in the dumps (and rightfully so if it is some horrific accident like that car crash) or still be depressed but at least find some little caveat or something to appreciate then it's a lot easier to find peace. One little perspective change can make a world of difference.

Since there's some obvious (and understandable) ignorances to "stoner talk" you've obviously never smoked with decent company, and i'm sure a lot of you will even stop reading this post because of your biases. Yes, a good chunk of inebriated conversation is garbage, but the perspective change that the OP was referring to i've noticed too in my experiences and i'd like to think it's an actual observable and logical conclusion.

If you are taking some drug or stimulant (caffeine, ethanol, THC, whatever), it's going to change some of the biochemical processes in our brain/body. Take a caffeine buzz, you feel more alert and overall pretty energized, right? You change your brain chemistry if you take a psychoactive drug like caffeine or THC, and are literally in a different state of mind. Being in a slightly askew perspective as your norm can most definitely make you see or notice things you wouldn't normally. Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying getting stoned makes you smart, or drinking coffee makes you "better", i'm just saying that subjectively, in my personal experiences, i have found looking at things in a slightly different perspective than what you usually do can be a pretty enlightening experience and can create the best opportunity for learning. That applies to anything really, going on an exchange trip to a new country, volunteering, or even more taboo, drug use.

Sara1234 says thanks to adaptation for this post.
Old 01-10-2013 at 11:55 AM   #28
eddiemurphy
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by eniteris View Post
If you want to go that way, let the hell be wrought.
What we "know" is a matter of semantics, because depending on your definition of "knowing", you could "know" everything or nothing. As all information is gathered by our senses (which can be fooled); thus, you could be living in a simulation in a world where everything we know holds false. We can also logically apply solipsism, as we don't know the mental processes of others, and thus everyone else could just be hallucinations or simulations or robots. The entire world could be a giant conspiracy against us, making us think that we "know" things when we really do not.
(There's a whole bunch of things that are similar to those words. They're all categorical indefinite nouns, all refer to a group of primates living on Earth, and can be used as terms of insults)

Disneyland is a physical location, and thus can only be visited physically. Even if we did go to Disneyland in our sleep, observational evidence of people who are asleep who are not in Disneyland is proof against it, unless a) only you go to Disneyland when you sleep, and b) everyone is lying to you when they say they saw you sleeping (and all recordeTd evidence is fabricated). Occam's Razor: you don't go to Disneyland when you sleep.

We're not gods' gift to anyone; there are no gods. We are our own gods. We merely evolved from a random assortment of biochemicals, and with sheer luck were able to get it this far. But not too much sheer luck; anthropic principle states that if we're asking the question of why intelligent life evolved, it has to have happened (otherwise nobody would be asking the question), and thus Earth is as good a place as any.

I don't say I have any indication of what the conscious mind is. It's probably a gestalt emergent behavior from the various biochemoelectrical interactions in the brain.

The future is awesome. I agree with that.

I there was an intelligent life form outside visible light, we could see it: in hot air or non-air materials (index of refraction will show warping), trying to move into it, infrared cameras, it's effects on air currents/other objects in the environment and gravitational lensing. There are many ways for us to see it (maybe not available all the time), but as we have the equipment (quite widespread), and no empirical evidence to support it, I invoke Occam's Razor: no such being exists.

If you think some questions in life cannot be answered, you're suffering from a minor case of delirium. (Including null-answer as answers to the question).

I'm not saying that you're wrong; I am merely pointing out the most realistic and logical explanations. Sure, we could actually be 36+4 dimensional light beings with thirteen tendrils, five ocular tubes, six feeding holes, sheathed in beryllium armor with 4 dimensional rotational symmetry, and merely imagining a world were we live in 3+1 dimensions, with two arms and two legs. But the fact is that we can't change the situation, and the situation seems to have laws which are self-consistent; thus, we can restrict the domain of "what we know" to the laws of our self-consistent universe, whether it is real or not.
"All I know is that I know nothing"

Amaryll likes this.
Old 01-10-2013 at 11:56 AM   #29
eddiemurphy
Account Locked

lol i cant believe you actually went to explain how we dont go disney land when we sleep. lmao
Old 01-10-2013 at 01:10 PM   #30
Sara1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptation View Post
I don't think necessarily everything happens for a reason, but i do think that even in the worst of situations you can always find something to value or appreciate - some lesson. If the option is to ignore the very minute positive quality of a situation solely because of cynicism and be down in the dumps (and rightfully so if it is some horrific accident like that car crash) or still be depressed but at least find some little caveat or something to appreciate then it's a lot easier to find peace. One little perspective change can make a world of difference.

Since there's some obvious (and understandable) ignorances to "stoner talk" you've obviously never smoked with decent company, and i'm sure a lot of you will even stop reading this post because of your biases. Yes, a good chunk of inebriated conversation is garbage, but the perspective change that the OP was referring to i've noticed too in my experiences and i'd like to think it's an actual observable and logical conclusion.

If you are taking some drug or stimulant (caffeine, ethanol, THC, whatever), it's going to change some of the biochemical processes in our brain/body. Take a caffeine buzz, you feel more alert and overall pretty energized, right? You change your brain chemistry if you take a psychoactive drug like caffeine or THC, and are literally in a different state of mind. Being in a slightly askew perspective as your norm can most definitely make you see or notice things you wouldn't normally. Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying getting stoned makes you smart, or drinking coffee makes you "better", i'm just saying that subjectively, in my personal experiences, i have found looking at things in a slightly different perspective than what you usually do can be a pretty enlightening experience and can create the best opportunity for learning. That applies to anything really, going on an exchange trip to a new country, volunteering, or even more taboo, drug use.

I completely agree, your explanation was right on the ideas i was trying to get at.